Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 RS Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry car is not worth $120k over GT3RS at base prices. $175K vs $293K no thanks.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

They are pricing the car to compete with the 488 and 720S.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Have to think long and hard about value of GT2 RS and especially the Weissach Package here in U.S. based on pricing and content vs ROW.

Comparison of UK pricing per my recent Goodwood trip:

UK:
GT2 RS: $267,690 inc VAT
Weissach Pkg w/Roll Bar & 6-Point Harnesses: $27,1444
Weissach Pkg w/o Roll Bar: $24,215

US:
GT2 RS: $294,250
Weissach Pkg w/Roll Bar & 6-Point Harnesses: NA
Weissach Pkg w/o Roll Bar & 6-Point Harnesses: $31,000

Like for like Weissach-spec'd car:

US: $324,250
UK: $291,905

US Premium: $32,345

And bear in mind that UK prices include 20% VAT, which means Porsche is taking even less on each sale.

Hard not to feel like there's a money grab going on in the U.S. (putting aside insane pricing markets like Aussie and New Zealand).
I don't think the US price vs Great Britain is Porsche taking advantage or even intentional. Don't get me wrong, I believe they have insane profit margins on the GT2 RS, likely well north of 50%, however I don't think this signals a shift in pricing policy.

Back in the 80s before Porsche hedged currency we saw prices for some models increase by over 60% in 2-3 years. In that situation sales virtually stop, so Porsche and other manufactures now hedge many years out so that they can damp these fluctuations and avoid ruining their market. The GBP has moved 30% vs the USD in the last couple years, and so current pricing (supported by the hedges) largely reflect the former reality where the US car would have been substantially discounted. We'll see how long it takes the hedges to unwind and pricing to reflect the current exchange rates.

If the GT2 RS is a terrible deal is an interesting question. I suspect it's engine is far cheaper to both develop and quite possibly produce than the GT3's, but if we're paying for "value" (performance) some will argue its price is justified by the forthcoming 'ring time alone...
Old 07-08-2017, 03:24 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
Sorry car is not worth $120k over GT3RS at base prices. $175K vs $293K no thanks.
U r right. The 991.2 GT3RS will be a better deal. And the Gt3 an even better value. If I buy the 2rs it's for the experience of the 2rs and not a value calculation vs the 3rs. Chance i keep the 1.2 3rs. I'll own the 2rs for the experience and sell it to someone that wants the ultimate 911 turbo monster.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Nizer: Thanks for pointing that out. Making me think twice about paying that premium over prices for the same car in the UK.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Agree it's primarily just currency move.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:41 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

It is at the upper limit of what I think a 911 should sell for, but dealers are still demanding a premium (I heard that an out of state dealer was asking what I thought was a truly insane premium).

I can't wait for the one of one 6MT GT2RS thread as that would be my perfect car.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I don't think the US price vs Great Britain is Porsche taking advantage or even intentional. Don't get me wrong, I believe they have insane profit margins on the GT2 RS, likely well north of 50%, however I don't think this signals a shift in pricing policy.

Back in the 80s before Porsche hedged currency we saw prices for some models increase by over 60% in 2-3 years. In that situation sales virtually stop, so Porsche and other manufactures now hedge many years out so that they can damp these fluctuations and avoid ruining their market. The GBP has moved 30% vs the USD in the last couple years, and so current pricing (supported by the hedges) largely reflect the former reality where the US car would have been substantially discounted. We'll see how long it takes the hedges to unwind and pricing to reflect the current exchange rates.

If the GT2 RS is a terrible deal is an interesting question. I suspect it's engine is far cheaper to both develop and quite possibly produce than the GT3's, but if we're paying for "value" (performance) some will argue its price is justified by the forthcoming 'ring time alone...
Interesting observation but I don't think that's the case in this situation. Most global companies will employ a combination of currency, interest rate, and raw material hedging to offset risk between time of procurement and receipt of revenues across markets but it's rare these days for companies to hedge beyond a year due to difficulty in forecasting movements. There are endless examples of corporate treasury departments thinking they had some unique skill in forecasting only to end up in near disaster during major market disruptions. In fact, quite a few companies were forced to declare bankruptcy during the global financial crisis solely because of misguided use of hedging strategies.

Hedging for Porsche was actually a net positive in 2016 and I suspect they work hard to minimize the risk associated with the use of these instruments.

Looking solely at currency movements YTD there's been a significant devaluation of the pound vs the euro as others have pointed out, which if anything should incentivize the company to overprice cars headed to the U.K. That's not happening.

EOD, I still contend this is a "what will the market bear" exercise, much as we see on a micro scale when looking at differentiated pricing for the exact same options across different models. I trust Porsche is feeling immense pressure from litigation costs, as a quick read of their annual report makes clear, and the GT2 RS in the U.S. looks an easy place to boost margins.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Interesting observation but I don't think that's the case in this situation. Most global companies will employ a combination of currency, interest rate, and raw material hedging to offset risk between time of procurement and receipt of revenues across markets but it's rare these days for companies to hedge beyond a year due to difficulty in forecasting movements.

EOD, I still contend this is a "what will the market bear" exercise, much as we see on a micro scale when looking at differentiated pricing for the exact same options across different models.
I don't believe they are attempting to hedge to create profit directly, rather to smooth out the fluctuations seen by the customer. A key to "value based pricing" (clearly the model Porsche is employing across their lineup) is that "discounts" are strategically limited to insure perceived value isn't eroded and customers don't wait for things to go "on sale".

Intentional or not currency fluctuation looks like a "sale" from the customer's point of view, and hence must be avoided. Thus regardless of whether Porsche is actually hedging or simply "self-hedging" to smooth out the bumps I believe the effect is the same- customers are isolated from currency movement to the extent possible.

There is evidence for this. A quick check shows the Turbo S increased in base price 4.5% since 2014 in the U.K. In the US the nominal price has increased by exactly the same amount- 4,5%. Between 2014 and now the GBP also fluctuated vs the Euro, but that's not reflected in the pricing- as far as any given country is concerned I'll wager pricing has increased at a metronomic pace regardless.

Porsche is playing the long game, and as a result currently fluctuations will give certain countries a deal at any given time. Currently the US is getting screwed (relatively).

By the way, we hedge 5 years out on a per contract basis. Not for profit but to mitigate risk. I'd be shocked if Porsche wasn't doing the same in certain instances.

Last edited by Petevb; 07-09-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:02 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

By the way, we hedge 5 years out on a per contract basis. Not for profit but to mitigate risk. I'd be shocked if Porsche wasn't doing the same in certain instances.
Exactly.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:57 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Interesting observation but I don't think that's the case in this situation. Most global companies will employ a combination of currency, interest rate, and raw material hedging to offset risk between time of procurement and receipt of revenues across markets but it's rare these days for companies to hedge beyond a year due to difficulty in forecasting movements. There are endless examples of corporate treasury departments thinking they had some unique skill in forecasting only to end up in near disaster during major market disruptions. In fact, quite a few companies were forced to declare bankruptcy during the global financial crisis solely because of misguided use of hedging strategies.

Hedging for Porsche was actually a net positive in 2016 and I suspect they work hard to minimize the risk associated with the use of these instruments.

Looking solely at currency movements YTD there's been a significant devaluation of the pound vs the euro as others have pointed out, which if anything should incentivize the company to overprice cars headed to the U.K. That's not happening.

EOD, I still contend this is a "what will the market bear" exercise, much as we see on a micro scale when looking at differentiated pricing for the exact same options across different models. I trust Porsche is feeling immense pressure from litigation costs, as a quick read of their annual report makes clear, and the GT2 RS in the U.S. looks an easy place to boost margins.
Can you provide a link to the annual report (in English)? PM if you prefer
Old 07-09-2017, 02:56 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

How about the fact that the US dollar is worth 20% more today, relative to the euro, than it was 3 years ago? Porsche is profiting handsomely from US sales of the GT2 RS on a currency-adjusted basis.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

If you don't track more or harder than many other cars can handle and you're not flipping the car, then I still don't see it.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

IMO, the GT2 RS is a car of the caliber of exotics, and is priced reasonably to compete with them. But it doesn't seem like a good value compared to the GT3 and GT3 RS, which are also cheaper to track when you factor in the cost of track insurance. A GT2 RS with heavy track miles may also experience greater percentage depreciation than a GT3 or GT3 RS.

Conclusion: because of the price, GT2 RS is best suited as a rich person's toy to be driven infrequently, rather than a car for heavy track use. Which is a shame, because if the cost was about $100K less, I'd probably get one for heavy track use.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:14 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Exactly.
Any other explanation would be insanity. The playbook is hedge to keep prices stable in a given major market while maintaining profits. Eventually you end up having to do a reset, but the time period for eventually has been extended from what it used to me.

Quick Reply: GT2 RS Pricing