Blowing out our 911R

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:11 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
GTFO here with real data!

Anyone who doesn't think there would be huge demand for these cars well over MSRP is delusional. Prices will come down at some point, assuming more owners actually want to sell them, but not to sticker. There are still way too many people who really love this spec of a car and would be willing to pay a premium for it. Jealousy breeds contempt, which breed delusion I guess.

What cracks me up is some of the posters on here saying this car should be trading at MSRP are the same people posting about how a $15k premium over sticker on a used GT4 with 2k miles is reasonable...
15k over premium on a used GT4 is a hell of a lot more reasonable than paying a 200k premium on a car that's now available with an upgraded motor and a wing for less than the cost of that 200k premium.

I'm not jealous of the R at all. I actually prefer the new GT3. If the R had been the last manual car than I'd have interest but barring that it's a blip in the 911's history that's already been surpassed.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:31 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I haven't heard people bashing the R, just bashing excessive hyperbole about the car and associated outlandish asking prices.

https://drivetribe.com/p/2017-porsch...Reytgq8k_6KsiA
here is a quote from early in this thread post#52:

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yup, and the near twin brother has more overall athletic prowess.

People can rationalize the R all they want, but seems to me that the emperor has no clothes.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
here is a quote from early in this thread post#52:
And your point is?
Old 07-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
15k over premium on a used GT4 is a hell of a lot more reasonable than paying a 200k premium on a car that's now available with an upgraded motor and a wing for less than the cost of that 200k premium.
Did I say anything about a $200k premium?
Old 07-04-2017, 07:48 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Did I say anything about a $200k premium?
No

What cracks me up is some of the posters on here saying this car should be trading at MSRP are the same people posting about how a $15k premium over sticker on a used GT4 with 2k miles is reasonable...
...but you implied people are suggesting this car should be sold at MSRP and I don't see it. I don't think anyone here has implied that a 15k premium on a 911 R with 2k miles wouldn't be reasonable. In fact, I think a lot of us laughing about the 200k premium would in fact pay a 15k one (or at least wouldn't be faulting it).
Old 07-04-2017, 10:08 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Rennlist is a unique and amazing resource. But this thread really a demonstration of the worst of Rennlist.
Most of the people who comment on R and 997 4.0 do not own and probably haven’t driven either. Definitely not extensively and not on the track. As someone who is fortunate enough to own both and use them extensively I can say that R is a phenomenal car. It’s is engaging, light, fast and it does everything that 4.0, but with ease. Who cares if it is the last manual in 991 or not? It looks like 991 RS will be offered as a stick as well, but I don’t see anyone bashing 997 4.0. And this car by the way is extremely uncomfortable anywhere, but on the track. However with the appreciation of this car it doesn’t make sense to track it so most of them are in the collectors garages. And when they are sold people are asking 2 to 3 times sticker yet no one is whining about it. The R is 100% the GT car you can drive on public road without looking like a douche in GT car with a big wing. Inferior engine? I don’t hear anyone bashing this very same engine in 991 RS which by the ways is heavier, PDK and has a huge wing which looks rather stupid on public roads.
The sour grapes song of those who did not or could not get the car got old. Get over it. Drive what you can and enjoy it.
Attached Images    
Old 07-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 102 Posts

+1.

Just enjoy your cars, guys, I highly enjoy my personalised 993 C4S as much as the R or the RS 4.0.

No need for negativity on RL, which is otherwise an amazing resource w very many helpful car enthusiasts.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:48 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

You always go off-topic ROMEOE55 at AMG PL and AMG GT 17 at MBWorld. It must be lonely owning a problematic and well depreciated AMG GT like yours. You come here to ANNOY people and you put no value to this forum for you have NEVER owned a PORSCHE, and is a HATER of PORSCHE products. So why bother come here and pester us. Oh I know. this is what you are Did you ever have toys when you were young? I tell you what. I can recommend you to some great PORSCHE dealers here and maybe, just maybe you can afford a Cayman for starters. It is pathetic in a way you boast of used AMG cars you buy and thump your chest that they are all flawless. Get Real Sparky. Go back to MBWorld and AMG PL and tell your buddies there how your Mercedes Benz AMG GT value is heavier than a ship anchor due to its defects and horrendous depreciation.

By the way the bet to race your flawless Mercedes Benz AMG GT against my Dodge Viper ACR-Extreme, you never accepted because, all you are all good for is talk non-sense. The offer to race is still open for you to accept. Why are you scared? You drive a Mercedes Benz AMG GT correct? Unless you pretend to own one, versus my measly Dodge Viper ACR-Extreme. If you cannot accept to race my bone stock Dodge Viper ACR-Extreme, please just shut up and go back to MBWorld and AMG PL and play and boast there with your Mercedes Benz AMG GT. One more thing ROMEOE55, this coming Saturday, I am going to spec my GT2RS. You wanna come and nose around?

Here you are talking thrash about GT2RS, is the real deal when you don't even own a PORSCHE and have absolute no knowledge about PORSCHE products other than you like making fun of PORSCHES at AMG PL and MBWorld. So do yourself a favor, just get lost there with your used and problematic Mercedes Benz AMG GT.

Sorry to the OP of this thread. There are folks that crash this forum, talk , don't own a PORSCHE, and they are here (e.g., Outlaw) because they are this, Get a life for a change ROMEOE55.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Hilarious actually. That's Florencio . Hard to imagine how he gets out of the driveway after watching "atypical late shows"

On topic, will second the notion that GT2 RS will end up being real deal.

Last edited by GT3RS-Fan1; 07-05-2017 at 08:12 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 07-04-2017, 11:10 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Kudos to you wolfmobil. Congrats on your 911R and 997 4.0. Bullseye on your post. We buy what we want and can afford. Enjoy it if it is a car, or whatever that may be. It doesn't have to be expensive, sometimes cheaper and simpler cars are fun too. There are posters here that DO NOT even own a PORSCHE and come here like they are the guru and all knowing about PORSCHE, like this free user Outlaw. I wish this forum have the "IGNORE" feature for people who posts non-sense post.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
Rennlist is a unique and amazing resource. But this thread really a demonstration of the worst of Rennlist.
Most of the people who comment on R and 997 4.0 do not own and probably haven’t driven either. Definitely not extensively and not on the track. As someone who is fortunate enough to own both and use them extensively I can say that R is a phenomenal car. It’s is engaging, light, fast and it does everything that 4.0, but with ease. Who cares if it is the last manual in 991 or not? It looks like 991 RS will be offered as a stick as well, but I don’t see anyone bashing 997 4.0. And this car by the way is extremely uncomfortable anywhere, but on the track. However with the appreciation of this car it doesn’t make sense to track it so most of them are in the collectors garages. And when they are sold people are asking 2 to 3 times sticker yet no one is whining about it. The R is 100% the GT car you can drive on public road without looking like a douche in GT car with a big wing. Inferior engine? I don’t hear anyone bashing this very same engine in 991 RS which by the ways is heavier, PDK and has a huge wing which looks rather stupid on public roads.
The sour grapes song of those who did not or could not get the car got old. Get over it. Drive what you can and enjoy it.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:49 AM
ZombieBranz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this what Ferdinand envisioned? Third and fourth tier resellers flipping Porsches with zero miles that never get driven? I thought these cars were meant to be driven?

Porsche needs to get their s**t together...
Old 07-05-2017, 02:36 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

I love the R and what it stands for, likely my favorite 911 made when I sit and think about it.

I think that many of us are just a bit salty that it is likely unobtainable for us, and then the OP is posting about how he is "blowing out" his 991R at roughly 200k over MSRP like the other R's for sale (except that this spec doesn't have the nice options in my opinion). I think that is what has led to all the vitriol against the R is that it really is a wonderful car, but it also represents something completely unobtainable to most of us when its actually the car we all really want. As far as who's to blame for it, I think we are hungry and looking at everyone! lol.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:46 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Most of those that own an R and defend it with their life haven't driven the new .2GT3 either ...
Old 07-05-2017, 09:10 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmobil

"Rennlist is a unique and amazing resource. But this thread really a demonstration of the worst of Rennlist."

"The R is 100% the GT car you can drive on public road without looking like a douche in GT car with a big wing. Inferior engine?"

"PDK and has a huge wing which looks rather stupid on public roads."

"The sour grapes song of those who did not or could not get the car got old. Get over it. Drive what you can and enjoy it."

Maybe the R should have its own Rennlist board? Why have it lumped in with the GT3/GT3RS/GT2 RS "WING DOUCHES"??

It seems like the "WING" owners tend to be ones who could CARE LESS what others think. They buy cars for themselves and not for golf club and fine dining restaurant valet approval when pulling up. Oh my, what will "the others think"?? Will they snicker across the room while I'm eating caviar or out on the greens?

Not sure why "some" R owners have such THIN skin?? The only issue I see here is bashing of the drama surrounding the sales tactics of the car, not the actual car itself. Great car, but like other say worth 2-3 times as much as a 991.2 GT3? I think that's a valid question to ask for some.

For other "R owners" should you really be that upset by the comments? I would hope not. What happens when your fiends point out they got a better deal on an airline ticket, golf clubs, stock purchase, or vacation home?? Time for therapy?? Just saying ....

Name:  photo574.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  964.7 KB

Name:  photo922.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  1,020.7 KB

Last edited by STG; 07-05-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:22 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

OP - good luck with the sale. You might want to rethink that sponsorship expense.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I love the R and what it stands for, likely my favorite 911 made when I sit and think about it.

I think that many of us are just a bit salty that it is likely unobtainable for us, and then the OP is posting about how he is "blowing out" his 991R at roughly 200k over MSRP like the other R's for sale (except that this spec doesn't have the nice options in my opinion). I think that is what has led to all the vitriol against the R is that it really is a wonderful car, but it also represents something completely unobtainable to most of us when its actually the car we all really want. As far as who's to blame for it, I think we are hungry and looking at everyone! lol.
For me, the car being unobtainable has nothing to do with it - I never wanted one and still don't. I'm sure the car is great, as are the .1 GT3 and .1 RS, and now the .2 GT3 also.

My criticism is that some people claim it's a magically unique car which warrants selling for more than twice its MSRP and for much more than a .2 GT3. If people want to pay those kinds of prices, that's up to them, but I think it's hype and I predict that market values will eventually return to close to MSRP. Hence my being galled by a dealer posting an ad here asking $409K for the car (with a drab spec), as though that's a good deal.

OP: it's indeed "time to move" the car, before the bubble bursts. I can't wish you good luck, since I don't want to see a fellow car enthusiast overpay and woefully regret the decision in a year or two.

Quick Reply: Blowing out our 911R