Sponsored by:

Blowing out our 911R

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:31 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
As an example, the Ferrrari F40 over twenty years old can be beat by modern Ferraris of today. Look at the value of the F40. Easily double of its original MSRP today. No doubt current technology is better than previous years and that's what is suppose to be. It is not all about money and only a contributing factor. I've said this before and will say it again. Money is good but the car is better.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
[/COLOR]
Ridiculous how you can compare a 30 year old Ferrari F40 with an 911r.

That car was completely unique and approved by Enzo himself with 1500 examples over 4-5 years. That car had close to 500hp and weighed 3100 pounds. At that time, there was very little that could compare.

I think what makes most people Negative here is the realization that the 911r really isn't unique at all, and that brother GT3 will be better all around. That being said good to know some of these cars are being driven.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe he is comparing an F40 with the 911R. You read the comment incorrectly. He is commenting that an F40 while being valued significantly more than current Ferraris, it is outperformed by these less expensive modern Ferraris. As for the 911R, It wasn't built as an all out track car. This was supposed to be a fun street car and tuned to that purpose. I don't think it should bother any owner that the 911R will be outperformed on the track by future 911 models especially track versions. Contrary to your opinion about it not being "unique", true is not bespoke but it is a Special model and to that fact it is LIMITED and NUMBERED by Porsche.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

I don't understand the extent of the premium of the R (it deserves one, but dang!). At the same time I don't understand the almost universal hatred for it. Pull up in a 450k 997 4.0 and the poschephile crowd acts like it truly is the 2nd coming. Pull up on a 450k R and the porschephile crowd hikes a leg on it. Both numbered, historically significant cars. Yes, I give the nod to the 997 4.0 but the R still should hold its own for one of more significant cars in the 991 cycle. Maybe history will be kinder too it over time?

GLWS. I don't mind it toned down; seems like that's the MO of the R anyway.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:32 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I don't understand the extent of the premium of the R (it deserves one, but dang!). At the same time I don't understand the almost universal hatred for it. Pull up in a 450k 997 4.0 and the poschephile crowd acts like it truly is the 2nd coming. Pull up on a 450k R and the porschephile crowd hikes a leg on it. Both numbered, historically significant cars. Yes, I give the nod to the 997 4.0 but the R still should hold its own for one of more significant cars in the 991 cycle. Maybe history will be kinder too it over time?

GLWS. I don't mind it toned down; seems like that's the MO of the R anyway.
The last of the Mezger motors vs the last (maybe) of the grenading motors Porsche threw a band-aid on. Tough choice.

The 997 RS 4.0 IS the second coming. The 991 R is slightly above what the regular 991s should have been from the beginning.

No one hates the R, at MSRP or near it it's a great car; we just laugh at the valuation it clearly doesn't deserve and now that the bubble is starting to pop and people are claiming "blow out deals" at 2x MSRP with no takers the "we told you so" is coming into play.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:35 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m

I don't believe he is comparing an F40 with the 911R. You read the comment incorrectly. He is commenting that an F40 while being valued significantly more than current Ferraris, it is outperformed by these less expensive modern Ferraris. As for the 911R, It wasn't built as an all out track car. This was supposed to be a fun street car and tuned to that purpose. I don't think it should bother any owner that the 911R will be outperformed on the track by future 911 models especially track versions. Contrary to your opinion about it not being "unique", true is not bespoke but it is a Special model and to that fact it is LIMITED and NUMBERED by Porsche.
Ya which is still a ridiculous analogy. The modern day version of an F40 from Porsche is a 918 -- not a 911 R. The R will never be analogous to an F40.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m

That car was completely unique and approved by Enzo himself with 1500 examples over 4-5 years. That car had close to 500hp and weighed 3100 pounds. At that time, there was very little that could compare.

I think what makes most people Negative here is the realization that the 911r really isn't unique at all, and that brother GT3 will be better all around. That being said good to know some of these cars are being driven.

I don't believe he is comparing an F40 with the 911R. You read the comment incorrectly. He is commenting that an F40 while being valued significantly more than current Ferraris, it is outperformed by these less expensive modern Ferraris. As for the 911R, It wasn't built as an all out track car. This was supposed to be a fun street car and tuned to that purpose. I don't think it should bother any owner that the 911R will be outperformed on the track by future 911 models especially track versions. Contrary to your opinion about it not being "unique", true is not bespoke but it is a Special model and to that fact it is LIMITED and NUMBERED by Porsche.[/QUOTE]

Really? The F40 was not a fun street car and you probably were not born yet. The f40 was 400k in 87, and was not shared with any Ferrari.

Anyway, this thread embodies what cars are a real value or not and thats what makes this thread and this forum. Car guys know what is real or not.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Ya which is still a ridiculous analogy. The modern day version of an F40 from Porsche is a 918 -- not a 911 R. The R will never be analogous to an F40.
I think philosophically I see your point, but I think that argument will be applicable to the .2 which ADM's are pushing 50k for a high production car not numbered. The RS pushed north of 100k ADM, and of course they all settle. I was never a fan of the R just look wise, but I do think it's a cool car while being numbers will always set it apart.

People are lined up for the .2 just like they were for the .1 demand is created by the want factor so in theory the price is sparked by the consumer. The seller will only react to the want factor, and it all has a bubble just a matter of when? However that bubble when it pops does not mean MSRP. Go find a 1973 carrera for MSRP 6k ......my point here the market will always speak. Some people can stroke a check for some of these cars and it's a weeks pay I tip my hat to them. I don't knock them because they want it now, and guess what it their scratch. My two cents.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:26 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Really? The F40 was not a fun street car and you probably were not born yet. The f40 was 400k in 87, and was not shared with any Ferrari.

Anyway, this thread embodies what cars are a real value or not and thats what makes this thread and this forum. Car guys know what is real or not.[/QUOTE]

That is incredibly funny! First, what does my age have to do with anything in the post? Is my age posted on the profile? Second, there was no comparison nor inferences between the F40 and the 911R. There were two separate thoughts on two different cars. Nobody is making comparison between the two cars, it is only conceptual idea that a cars value can be more than subsequent models inspite of the performance. it could be any car not just an F40. I'm sorry that your comprehension ability did not allow you to follow the thought process. Also since you are a "car guy" does that mean only cars you approve have any "real" value.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:38 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The last of the Mezger motors vs the last (maybe) of the grenading motors Porsche threw a band-aid on. Tough choice.

The 997 RS 4.0 IS the second coming. The 991 R is slightly above what the regular 991s should have been from the beginning.

No one hates the R, at MSRP or near it it's a great car; we just laugh at the valuation it clearly doesn't deserve and now that the bubble is starting to pop and people are claiming "blow out deals" at 2x MSRP with no takers the "we told you so" is coming into play.
Nailed it. It is a great daily driver. No aero so not a track weopan for sure. A higher HP Carrerra S with a number plaque on it. At 200k folks would buy them AND drive them. I stead the flippers are trying to get a premium and let's face it with the manual .2 GT3 and the WAY better GT2RS coming this was a bust for speculators.

Now throw on top all that this one in the OP is a HORRIBLE spec.

Good luck getting 400k
Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
A higher HP Carrerra S with a number plaque on it.
Except for an entirely different body, magnesium roof, different motor, different gearbox, different suspension, different wheels, different brakes, different aero treatment, light weight bucket seats, and SMFW.

Other than that, it's just like a Carrera S...
Old 07-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by AMG USA
The market made these cars worth what they are and at $409,000, regardless of MSRP, this car is priced below the market.
If the car was truly priced just below market, it would be sold by now (by definition). Based on the car not being sold, the car must currently be listed above current market.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:54 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I am just a regular "Car Guy." I get followed because of my 911R on any given day, where I live there are a lot of car enthusiasts. I get paranoid when someone tries to catch up behind me and hold their smart phone above the steering wheel, either taking pictures or video of my 911R for fear of being rear-ended. I keep safety in mind all the time.

I value a lot of my cars in my garage. 911R is by far the best stick shift car in my stable and, next to my 918 in terms of hierarchy. I get followed because I know the "notoriety" along with the "rarity" and of what the 911R have created, We can read tons of articles in the magazine, internet, etc., and can drive conclusions about any car out there. It is hard to relate have the same sensation until you actually drive and even own one. For those who prefer to row their own "stick" and have driven and put some time on a 911R, then would one know how much "Fun and Engaging" 911R is.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by sdq7
No one following you or taking pictures of you? Like paparazzi? Ok, I have to know, are you a movie star or some famous person? Outside of that, I doubt anyone would be doing that except for some hard core car guys, most people couldn't tell the difference between this and any run of the mill ordinary new 911. Funny stuff there!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
If the car was truly priced just below market, it would be sold by now (by definition). Based on the car not being sold, the car must currently be listed above current market.
Well, it's been at that price for all of about 5-6 days. Give it some time before we jump to the conclusion that it's over market. High dollar cars often take some time to move.

That said, I do think the market clearing price is somewhere South of the ask, but still nowhere near most of us wish it was.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:01 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh hello ROMEOE55,

Not to hijack this thread, how do you like and enjoy your AMG GT? Anymore leaks, rattles, defects on your AMG? First of, you are not a PORSCHE owner NOR do you own a Ferrari so needless to say there is no credence on your post about 911R let alone about PORSCHE. Your post is pure "opinion." Please put your "negative" comments out of this forum.

Just be happy and feel lucky you have an AMG GT, albeit defective, leaking, rattling, or have lost value due to heavy depreciation. When you own a PORSCHE, then I might consider reading your post. I still own my AMG C63 Edition-507 and still enjoy it, even though the brand has been diluted by Mercedes Benz with the creation of the *43 (not so real AMGs other than a having an AMG plaque). Resale on AMG sucks due to quality issues as of late and "Brand Dilution." Enjoy your AMG for now.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

As an example, the Ferrrari F40 over twenty years old can be beat by modern Ferraris of today. Look at the value of the F40. Easily double of its original MSRP today. No doubt current technology is better than previous years and that's what is suppose to be. It is not all about money and only a contributing factor. I've said this before and will say it again. Money is good but the car is better.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
[/COLOR]

I think what makes most people Negative here is the realization that the 911r really isn't unique at all, and that brother GT3 will be better all around. That being said good to know some of these cars are being driven.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by GT3RS-Fan1; 07-03-2017 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typo correction.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:03 PM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt

Good luck getting 400k
GT2RS is going to deflate the price, not to mention GT3 (6MT).
Old 07-02-2017, 10:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by AMG USA

I believe strongly that the drop in R prices is an overreaction to the GT3 manual transmission announcement. I think the prices on the R's will go back up and now is a great time to buy one.
Of course, not that your opinion is biased, or anything.

Quick Reply: Blowing out our 911R