Sponsored by:

Blowing out our 911R

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 02:18 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
It will be <200k regardless of the economy/market. There will be quite a few Mezger RS cars with higher values -- possibly all of them.
If you are talking about this specific car, I could see a possibility of below 200K sale but I think it will be prompted by something bad from a financial outlook. The specs on this car are lacking the things that make it unique for a 911R. The vast majority of 911Rs will trade above their MSRP. For a well optioned, well cared for 911R, I think they will maintained a premium. Neither one of us can predict the future but we are definitely closer to the top of a business cycle than we are at the beginning. If your buying that car for less than 200k, in general all cars will have dropped in value by that time. Its just whether your in a position to take advantage of the situation. IMO
Old 07-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Hey- bubble wrap the .2 GT3 and I will bet you in 20 years it will be worth more than a bubbled wrapped R
Hard to think that's right. There will be thousands of .2GT3s (and probably hundreds will be bubble wrapped because people suddenly think they are investments!).

Who knows what an R will be worth, but it seems very likely it will always be worth more than a GT3.

PS I'm not talking anything up, as my own opinion is that all of these "mid-market collectibles" are over priced at the moment, but that won't change the relative values, wherever they end up.
My own R wil, by the end of the week, have done more than 4500 miles in 8 months, been driven hard on 4 trackdays in 3 countries, and been resprayed from original to my own color. So, I'm not exactly prepping it for sale...
Old 07-02-2017, 02:55 PM
AMG USA
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
My own R wil, by the end of the week, have done more than 4500 miles in 8 months, been driven hard on 4 trackdays in 3 countries, and been resprayed from original to my own color. So, I'm not exactly prepping it for sale...
Fantastic! Love to see these cars being driven and enjoyed.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:10 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the backlash on the 911R is due to the fact that "First Owners" who turned around and "flipped" them for money. It is their car and they can do whatever they want as we live in a democratic country. PAG or PCNA clamping down on "Flippers" do make sense and I get that.

Heck, it took fifty years before they revived this 911R. In the words of Andreas Pruninger, "The 911R is a car made from the heart." However, if anyone offers me US$500K on mine although not PTS but I spec'd it myself, I will not exchange my 911R for US$500K. This much I can say, the money is good but the car is better. Among my cars, I look at my 911R as the most "Fun Car." I typically use it on special occasions and late night cruise on the back suburban roads after watching atypical late night shows. It is the perfect time where there is no traffic, no one following me and taking video or pictures of my car on their smart phones.

My 991.2 GT3 is scheduled to arrive end of this year or early next year. I look forward to adding my 991.2 GT3 as it has according to initial feedback the best GT3 made by far. That new engine as many claim, is a better engine than in the current GT3RS and 911R, and I am glad and happy to hear that because PORSCHE always improves on their products.

https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...orsche-911-gt3

As an example, the Ferrrari F40 over twenty years old can be beat by modern Ferraris of today. Look at the value of the F40. Easily double of its original MSRP today. No doubt current technology is better than previous years and that's what is suppose to be. It is not all about money and only a contributing factor. I've said this before and will say it again. Money is good but the car is better.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Last edited by GT3RS-Fan1; 07-02-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Corrected video link
Old 07-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
It's a $200,000 car and probably a great Dirver's road car.

But - Cudos to those that flipped them early and made some good money. I would of done the exact same thing. Now- for those that paid those prices from the Flippers - Hey!!!- win some lose some.

I do not see this car in 10 years being worth $500,000 but I guess if you hang on to a NA late model edition from Porsche long enough it will probably appreciate now that everything will eventually be FI.

Hey- bubble wrap the .2 GT3 and I will bet you in 20 years it will be worth more than a bubbled wrapped R
I wish there was a way I could take that bet.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:51 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Hard to think that's right. There will be thousands of .2GT3s (and probably hundreds will be bubble wrapped because people suddenly think they are investments!).

Who knows what an R will be worth, but it seems very likely it will always be worth more than a GT3.

PS I'm not talking anything up, as my own opinion is that all of these "mid-market collectibles" are over priced at the moment, but that won't change the relative values, wherever they end up.
AP would love this response, and to see that Porsche's best cars are indeed being driven!

Jim
Old 07-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

The "R" will always be a special car, and it's limited and numbered doesn't mean it has to be better. Many owners that wanted this car paid MSRP first go around while having multiple cars, and can give a hoot about resale. I'm sure the new GT3 will beat a 4.0 GT3RS, but with 500 copies it will never be worth a 4.0 down the road. This is a topic that's unwinable and time will decide value. My bet is on the R.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvinta
I wish there was a way I could take that bet.
Ditto, I'm not an R fan, i'd bet my retirement against that outcome.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:28 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
the best part is still reading the thread title and seeing 410K price tag. Oh yeah, blowing it out!
Originally Posted by Marvinta
Who knew this car would generate so much negativity.
Read the quote above yours for the answer. Smart folks don't appreciate cheap tactics like that. Some might even think it's insulting to the intelligence opening the thread, and seeing the asking price. Nothing wrong asking for the moon for a car if you want; just title the thread appropriately. Finally, an R is not worth anything over MSRP to me either, especially with a manual GT3 with a better engine coming soon. Hope this is the last GT car owners attempt (unsuccessfully) to make a killing by flipping them; GT cars are meant to be driven, not collected. Happy 4th to everybody.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:38 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
I think the backlash on the 911R is due to the fact that "First Owners" who turned around and "flipped" them for money. It is their car and they can do whatever they want as we live in a democratic country. PAG or PCNA clamping down on "Flippers" do make sense and I get that.

Heck, it took fifty years before they revived this 911R. In the words of Andreas Pruninger, "The 911R is a car made from the heart." However, if anyone offers me US$500K on mine although not PTS but I spec'd it myself, I will not exchange my 911R for US$500K. This much I can say, the money is good but the car is better. Among my cars, I look at my 911R as the most "Fun Car." I typically use it on special occasions and late night cruise on the back suburban roads after watching atypical late night shows. It is the perfect time where there is no traffic, no one following me and taking video or pictures of my car on their smart phones.

My 991.2 GT3 is scheduled to arrive end of this year or early next year. I look forward to adding my 991.2 GT3 as it has according to initial feedback the best GT3 made by far. That new engine as many claim, is a better engine than in the current GT3RS and 911R, and I am glad and happy to hear that because PORSCHE always improves on their products.

https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...orsche-911-gt3

As an example, the Ferrrari F40 over twenty years old can be beat by modern Ferraris of today. Look at the value of the F40. Easily double of its original MSRP today. No doubt current technology is better than previous years and that's what is suppose to be. It is not all about money and only a contributing factor. I've said this before and will say it again. Money is good but the car is better.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
No one following you or taking pictures of you? Like paparazzi? Ok, I have to know, are you a movie star or some famous person? Outside of that, I doubt anyone would be doing that except for some hard core car guys, most people couldn't tell the difference between this and any run of the mill ordinary new 911. Funny stuff there!
Old 07-02-2017, 04:42 PM
AMG USA
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Read the quote above yours for the answer. Smart folks don't appreciate cheap tactics like that. Some might even think it's insulting to the intelligence opening the thread, and seeing the asking price. Nothing wrong asking for the moon for a car if you want; just title the thread appropriately. Finally, an R is not worth anything over MSRP to me either, especially with a manual GT3 with a better engine coming soon. Hope this is the last GT car owners attempt (unsuccessfully) to make a killing by flipping them; GT cars are meant to be driven, not collected. Happy 4th to everybody.

Since, at $409,000 this is by far the cheapest R advertised anywhere in the US, I'd say "blowing it out" is apt. MSRP does not determine the vale of a car anymore that the opening price of an IPO values a stock. The market made these cars worth what they are and at $409,000, regardless of MSRP, this car is priced below the market.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:47 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No PTS
No Houndstooth
No LWB
If it was a blowout price, it would be sold
Old 07-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Ridiculous how you can compare a 30 year old Ferrari F40 with an 911r.

That car was completely unique and approved by Enzo himself with 1500 examples over 4-5 years. That car had close to 500hp and weighed 3100 pounds. At that time, there was very little that could compare.

I think what makes most people Negative here is the realization that the 911r really isn't unique at all, and that brother GT3 will be better all around. That being said good to know some of these cars are being driven.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:14 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
The "R" will always be a special car, and it's limited and numbered doesn't mean it has to be better. Many owners that wanted this car paid MSRP first go around while having multiple cars, and can give a hoot about resale. I'm sure the new GT3 will beat a 4.0 GT3RS, but with 500 copies it will never be worth a 4.0 down the road. This is a topic that's unwinable and time will decide value. My bet is on the R.
I believe you're talking about the 997 4.0 RS and there were 600 copies of that car made.

OBVIOUSLY a 991.2 GT3 will never approach the value of that car. It's the last Mezger and the second coming of the 73 Carrera RS in my opinion.

However, there's nothing special about the 991 R anymore besides the limited production. The heart of the car is simply inferior to the 991.2 GT3. The absolute only reason I'd take a 991 R over a 991.2 GT3 is to flip it. If I had to pay the same price and actually keep the car I'd take the GT3.

...and this ad is getting laughed at because it was called "blow-out" pricing. As though paying double the MSRP for a car that just got shat on by the release of the new GT3 is somehow a fantastic deal. The R values skyrocketed because people thought there were no more GT car manuals. Now that that's over with, we get the rare opportunity to point and laugh at some of the people sitting on these things that thought they could make a quick buck off of the rest of us.

...and now we're putting the 911 R in the league of the F40? Seriously? ...and late night drives to avoid paparazzi? I honestly think my Subaru WRX STI got more attention than my 991 and the vast majority of people outside Porsche enthusiasts couldn't tell you the difference between a regular 991 and an R.

By the way, If you don't like something I said don't talk back to me please - I pay good money to be here.

Last edited by destaccado; 07-02-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:19 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
[/COLOR]
Ridiculous how you can compare a 30 year old Ferrari F40 with an 911r.

That car was completely unique and approved by Enzo himself with 1500 examples over 4-5 years. That car had close to 500hp and weighed 3100 pounds. At that time, there was very little that could compare.

I think what makes most people Negative here is the realization that the 911r really isn't unique at all, and that brother GT3 will be better all around. That being said good to know some of these cars are being driven.[/QUOTE]

Comparing any car as a long term investment is not the same. Cost of money, what you could have invested in with it then, maintenance, insurance, storage and everything else. As rare as it is, the F40 is still a bad buy purely as an investment. If I could buy the 911R today and flip it for that kind of profit I would too. I would not want to be at the tail end of this bubble though.

Quick Reply: Blowing out our 911R