Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 06:44 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

That is a great looking bike. Congrats! So clean! Black fork looks ace.

Me newbie to bikes. Now need Criterium bike, based on looks alone!

Last edited by fbroen; 08-18-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:45 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

Nice bike CAlexio. Is that an Allez?

For brakes, much like cars, pads make a lot of difference. Maybe try a set of Swisstop.

I just added the Redshift stem to my gravel bike and it's really great for your intended use. Probably knock down the elastomers a bit in firmness though as I think they're calibrated for off-road hits primarily.

It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride
Old 08-18-2020, 11:34 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I've never felt worthy of posting on This thread: I'm too fat, too slow on track, I don't collect watches, not enough cool cars to qualify, and certainly not cool enough bicycles.

Then last week my bicycle got stolen (again.. no comment) and I went hunting for something even cheaper that could just serve as a humble piece of exercise equipment that I could afford to not give a **** about.

I found this piece of criterium torture equipment and instead of accepting disappointment I fell totally in love with it ; and am now really proud too.

It's not carbon, it's not over $10k (in fact I paid less than $3k for it).. it's 4 years old, made of aluminum and a few carbon bits to soften it up mildly.. but damn I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT.

-super clean design, aero looks like one of Mooty's barbiedoll bikes just more manly..
-Very flickable, very light, and again, looks absolutely the ****.
-I love the 1x with no front derailleur.. although the steep climbing I love so much is significantly harder now.
-I'm not used to rim brakes anymore so it takes a severe pull on the levers to come to a stop on the steep hills here, but otherwise I find it totally usable for my needs which include 20 mile rides max due to general laziness and exhaustion being a new father and ex-motorcycle-crasher who only sleeps a few hours/night and just needs a low impact exercise for his bones.
-I'm going to add a redshift shockstop suspension stem to add a little give on my hands and reduce vibration, and then going to just enjoy the duck out of it.

And If someone steals this, I won't care!

PS: That a lie, but I can care less than I did before with more expensive bikes.
PPS: Notice the cracked wood and the new screw holes trying to do a patch job on antique doors which thieves just shoulder-busted through to get into my garage and then basement.
PPPS: Cue political conversation about what a dangerous zombie-apocalypse ****hole San Francisco has become.
PPPPS: going on a bicycle ride now.
Nice. I have an Allez Sprint as well and I really love it. Compare to the old Tarmac SL6 I had it's not as snappy and agile but it definitely feels smoother ride on straight away. The bike it self is comparable in terms of weigh to my carbon Factor O2 Disc (If any, it's lighter). Enjoy the bike!

Old 08-18-2020, 11:46 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I've never felt worthy of posting on This thread: I'm too fat, too slow on track, I don't collect watches, not enough cool cars to qualify, and certainly not cool enough bicycles.

Then last week my bicycle got stolen (again.. no comment) and I went hunting for something even cheaper that could just serve as a humble piece of exercise equipment that I could afford to not give a **** about.

I found this piece of criterium torture equipment and instead of accepting disappointment I fell totally in love with it ; and am now really proud too.

It's not carbon, it's not over $10k (in fact I paid less than $3k for it).. it's 4 years old, made of aluminum and a few carbon bits to soften it up mildly.. but damn I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT.

-super clean design, aero looks like one of Mooty's barbiedoll bikes just more manly..
-Very flickable, very light, and again, looks absolutely the ****.
-I love the 1x with no front derailleur.. although the steep climbing I love so much is significantly harder now.
-I'm not used to rim brakes anymore so it takes a severe pull on the levers to come to a stop on the steep hills here, but otherwise I find it totally usable for my needs which include 20 mile rides max due to general laziness and exhaustion being a new father and ex-motorcycle-crasher who only sleeps a few hours/night and just needs a low impact exercise for his bones.
-I'm going to add a redshift shockstop suspension stem to add a little give on my hands and reduce vibration, and then going to just enjoy the duck out of it.

And If someone steals this, I won't care!

PS: That a lie, but I can care less than I did before with more expensive bikes.
PPS: Notice the cracked wood and the new screw holes trying to do a patch job on antique doors which thieves just shoulder-busted through to get into my garage and then basement.
PPPS: Cue political conversation about what a dangerous zombie-apocalypse ****hole San Francisco has become.
PPPPS: going on a bicycle ride now.
Attachment 1316197Attachment 1316190Attachment 1316198
Congrats on the new bike... finding one you love is half the battle - most expensive doesn't at all equate to most fun. as Chris said, doesn't matter what you ride, just matters that you ride!
@.moo. are those the new Fred Flintstone continentals?
Old 08-19-2020, 12:17 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

CAlexio, Nice bike and nice antique doors! I'm still riding my 90s craigslist KHS road bike until I upgrade (and have my own pre-1910 bay area fixer upper to work on for the next several years = good redwood bones + chipping paint). Cheers!

Last edited by Yargk; 08-19-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:39 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by wru
Congrats on the new bike... finding one you love is half the battle - most expensive doesn't at all equate to most fun. as Chris said, doesn't matter what you ride, just matters that you ride!
@.moo. are those the new Fred Flintstone continentals?
Negative. They're GP 5000 with no air inside. I just put on the tires at that time so it's flat.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:45 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 840 Likes on 439 Posts

How is the roubaix compared to the sl6/sl7, I'm digging that tunable front susp thing, image it could really help on those broken pavement.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:14 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Roubaix isn't much more relaxed geometry and the newer version of the future shock is great. Prior version was non adjustable and bouncy if you got out of the saddle. Now problem solved.

Tarmac is relatively stiff and direct.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:42 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Roubaix isn't much more relaxed geometry and the newer version of the future shock is great. Prior version was non adjustable and bouncy if you got out of the saddle. Now problem solved.

Tarmac is relatively stiff and direct.
It seems like the futureshock1.5 on the lower (new) models might still be bouncy without the damper (of the futureshock 2.0 on the higher end models)?
Old 08-19-2020, 04:27 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I couldn't stand the look of the accordion rubber boot. Rather have no dampening than that. I guess it looks better on the 2.0.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:39 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Personally, I would only consider a model with FS 2.0. Otherwise, I'd just go with another endurance bike and add a Redshift stem

Last edited by ChrisF; 08-20-2020 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Yargk (08-19-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:33 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 840 Likes on 439 Posts

Already have a cervelo c3, quite endurance/comfort oriented, but figured could use more damping on some of the rough roads here. Will find some time for a demo ride for sure. Thanks Chris!
Old 08-21-2020, 04:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

pagemill x west alpine, La Honda, CA closed due to fire 8/21/20

Old 08-21-2020, 04:04 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Personally, I would only consider a model with FS 2.0. Otherwise, I'd just go with another endurance bike and add a Redshift stem

Glad to hear I'm not alone... just ordered the redshift, can't wait to feel the difference to my current setup. This Allez is also a very twitchy bike.. tried taking my hands off the bars to pick my nose and almost flew off the side of the cliff. Note to self...
Old 08-21-2020, 07:02 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

pagemill x west alpine, La Honda, CA closed due to fire 8/21/20

Be safe out there CA crew

John the bike looks even better in the wild!!
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-22-2020)

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches