Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Faster than the 991.1 RS.
Old 05-02-2017 | 11:30 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,908 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The interesting thing about the .2 GT3 and .1 RS laptime comparison is that they're on identical "N1" tire compounds now (but the RS has more rubber). So, it leaves one wondering how the GT3 is quicker with more weight, less aero, and less rubber. Seems to me that the new motor has to be a significant part of the puzzle (despite published peak hp and tq specs being identical).
Word from guys running 2017 Cup is that actual power bump is considerably higher that what's stated. Granted that's against the Mezger motor in the 991.1 Cup but probably safe to assume that Porsche's HP/TQ claims are conservative.

Impressive that they can now run 13.3:1 compression in a street motor...

Autoblog review:
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/01/2...=hp-tile-large

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/27/2...-track-weapon/
Old 05-02-2017 | 11:34 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,173 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Word from guys running 2017 Cup is that actual power bump is considerably higher that what's stated. Granted that's against the Mezger motor in the 991.1 Cup but probably safe to assume that Porsche's HP/TQ claims are conservative.
Old 05-02-2017 | 11:35 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep. Very different motor, yet coincidentally the same HP. Not buying it.

I can see damping potential maybe making up part of that difference.
Old 05-02-2017 | 11:58 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

I will never buy the " the new GT3,the new RS,the new GT4 etc " actually makes more power than they were rated by Porsche. That's BS. All 3 have been independently tested and they make EXACTLY what Porsche rated them to make. I do get the " making more power at speed due to the ram air effect "...I can totally see that!
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:10 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neanicu
I will never buy the " the new GT3,the new RS,the new GT4 etc " actually makes more power than they were rated by Porsche. That's BS. All 3 have been independently tested and they make EXACTLY what Porsche rated them to make. I do get the " making more power at speed due to the ram air effect "...I can totally see that!
That all depends on how you look at drive-train loss. You can say that the GT3, RS and GT4 are still putting out their rated HP, but have less drive-train loss. Many dynos have showed them putting out more than their rated hp with the typical drive-train loss. So sure they are making exactly 500hp, but they are putting more hp down to the wheels
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:17 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I believe in coincidence, but not that much coincidence. It's either conformity through marketing or conformity through tuning.
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,173 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
That all depends on how you look at drive-train loss. You can say that the GT3, RS and GT4 are still putting out their rated HP, but have less drive-train loss. Many dynos have showed them putting out more than their rated hp with the typical drive-train loss. So sure they are making exactly 500hp, but they are putting more hp down to the wheels
But GT3.1, GT3.2, and .1RS all have same drivetrain...
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:23 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Top Gears review.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...dr/first-drive
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:25 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GrantG
But GT3.1, GT3.2, and .1RS all have same drivetrain...
Since they don't make more power according to some on this forum, there must magically be an improvement in drive-train loss.
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Porsche needs to be applauded either way for demonstrating a conservative policy regarding their performance numbers for years. But I personally do not buy into the " GT horsepower " concept.
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:39 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 712 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Holy crap!.. Great first paragraph... Amazing writing.. encapsulates that "specialness" we spend hours/days/months/years groaning on about in 15 seconds. Ugh.. I need to learn to express myself this well... can you imagine speaking like this on a date.. #pussymagnet
------------

"The true genius of Porsche’s new GT3, the second coming of the model on the 991 platform, is that even a master will never fully exploit it. That’s the trait that defines the GT3, not just among Porsches but among the world’s best drivers’ cars. As a result, it engenders fascination like almost nothing else. No matter how hard it’s pushed, there’s still magic to be discovered in its responses, beauty in its feedback, joy in its abilities. This is a machine whetted on the mill of necessity and unencumbered by frippery. It is noise and feel and heat and speed wrapped into a physically absurd package then distilled beyond what its design merits.

The cumulative case it makes is this: When a driver unloads aggression into its controls, it doesn’t balk. It doesn’t plead for mechanical mercy. From its perspective, driving with purpose differs not at all from driving for pleasure. When much is asked of the GT3, it simply goes faster. It goes faster and then, like a bitterly defiant teenager, it doubles down, betting that what it can endure exceeds what you can supply. That is a profoundly fantastic thing for a sports car to do."

Doesn't that just say it ALL?
Old 05-02-2017 | 01:08 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Holy crap!.. Great first paragraph... Amazing writing.. encapsulates that "specialness" we spend hours/days/months/years groaning on about in 15 seconds. Ugh.. I need to learn to express myself this well... can you imagine speaking like this on a date.. #pussymagnet
------------

"The true genius of Porsche’s new GT3, the second coming of the model on the 991 platform, is that even a master will never fully exploit it. That’s the trait that defines the GT3, not just among Porsches but among the world’s best drivers’ cars. As a result, it engenders fascination like almost nothing else. No matter how hard it’s pushed, there’s still magic to be discovered in its responses, beauty in its feedback, joy in its abilities. This is a machine whetted on the mill of necessity and unencumbered by frippery. It is noise and feel and heat and speed wrapped into a physically absurd package then distilled beyond what its design merits.

The cumulative case it makes is this: When a driver unloads aggression into its controls, it doesn’t balk. It doesn’t plead for mechanical mercy. From its perspective, driving with purpose differs not at all from driving for pleasure. When much is asked of the GT3, it simply goes faster. It goes faster and then, like a bitterly defiant teenager, it doubles down, betting that what it can endure exceeds what you can supply. That is a profoundly fantastic thing for a sports car to do."

Doesn't that just say it ALL?
Emphatically...YES
Old 05-02-2017 | 01:08 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 268 Likes on 162 Posts

^^Yes, very much so..

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 reviews thread.