Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:09 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
Even if you're a tiny dealer I would assume you have at least 2 people in your area who buy them and want them?
AFAIK I was the only one willing to buy one in the area.

Originally Posted by Trader220
Or another question... how many of these dealers who sell at MSRP (small dealers) do you think would take an offer of 10 grand or so over MSRP to bump the one or two regulars who buy these cars from them?
$10k immediately versus service and possible future resale via trade-in; think about it.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Perhaps, but it you followed the GT4 situation, a lot of people got their cars exactly that way. Calling around to small dealers in BFE that only got 1 or 2 cars and had nobody on any list.

My local is that small and only got 2 GT4s and both went out of state. I also bought mine out of state because I got it month earlier than my local got their allocation plus I didn't have to pay the ED up charge that some dealers wanted (Rumor here was that my local wanted the up charge).
Old 03-28-2017, 02:18 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,194 Likes on 474 Posts

wow, the stories on how dealers are treating people are just insane. How can you be in a sales driven business and act in such a manner? Anyone playing around with $150K cars are usually buying other cars too, so it would seem you wouldn't want to jeopardize that business as well.

I am very fortunate to have a good dealer relationship after buying numerous cars. I was immediately called after GT3.2 released. Was told I had a spot at MRSP, just place deposit and wait for the manual build date.

I am sad for all you guys on the coasts that are dealing with these schmucks.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
Not really that big of an issue if you ask me. Just a result of growth off the back of the recession and low interest rates combined with increasingly higher vehicle prices.

Delinquencies have actually dropped from the recession era to now and the auto debt is only 1/8 the size of mortgage. On top of all of that, the financial companies that will be affected by delinquencies are mostly diversified (with corporate financing, insurance, mortgages, stock brokerage, and online banking).
Growth?! Where is this growth you're speaking of?

Cheap money. Plain and simple. The only thing that has driven this asset bubble is cheap money. And the factors that led to the last bubble popping are irrelevant, because the drivers of the last bubble were entirely different.

And as regards delinquencies, as of four hours ago...

“Auto lending risk has been increasing for several quarters because of notable and unprecedented growth across all types of lenders. In the last two quarters, delinquencies on auto loans have begun to increase and net losses have also reflected non-seasonal increases. As banks competed for market share, some banks responded with less stringent underwriting standards for direct and indirect auto loans. In addition to the eased underwriting standards, lenders also substantially layered risks (granted longer terms combined with higher advance rates resulting in higher LTV ratios). These factors increased the credit risk in auto loan portfolios, as well as creating potential fair lending and consumer compliance concerns. This embedded risk is now being reflected in lower recoveries at charge-off (higher loss severities) for both bank loans and securitized auto loans despite relative stability in used auto values (see figure 12).
Old 03-28-2017, 02:31 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 120 Posts

Granted, I live in CA, where apparently "car rules" don't apply.

Last edited by mass27; 08-27-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:37 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm with Mooty on this issue.

It's too early for scotch...

Last edited by mass27; 08-27-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:49 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mass27
Your view is wrong regarding MSRP. MSRP actually means EVERYTHING. Can you envision a world where every good or service was a means to negotiate? Just because the economy is great, and every rennlister has $7892374972398473 to spend on fancy cars doesn't mean that anyone should ever pay more than MSRP. It's a completely flawed argument.

If you (and others) feel that the GT3 is really worth $200K, write a letter to PAG and tell them to raise MSRP to $200K.

Who the f*uck wants every single car purchase to be a mind f*uck of negotiations. I have money. I give money. You give stuff.

I like the way you think
Old 03-28-2017, 02:50 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Cheap money. Plain and simple. The only thing that has driven this asset bubble is cheap money. And the factors that led to the last bubble popping are irrelevant, because the drivers of the last bubble were entirely different.
[/I]
Growth since 2008...
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2017, 03:02 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

^LoL.. Growth of cheap money?
Old 03-28-2017, 03:02 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

And as regards delinquencies, as of four hours ago...

“Auto lending risk has been increasing for several quarters because of notable and unprecedented growth across all types of lenders. In the last two quarters, delinquencies on auto loans have begun to increase and net losses have also reflected non-seasonal increases. As banks competed for market share, some banks responded with less stringent underwriting standards for direct and indirect auto loans. In addition to the eased underwriting standards, lenders also substantially layered risks (granted longer terms combined with higher advance rates resulting in higher LTV ratios). These factors increased the credit risk in auto loan portfolios, as well as creating potential fair lending and consumer compliance concerns. This embedded risk is now being reflected in lower recoveries at charge-off (higher loss severities) for both bank loans and securitized auto loans despite relative stability in used auto values (see figure 12).
You are only looking at the very short term fluctuations and not looking at the larger picture. Several quarter, or 2 quarters does not represent a trend worth much. See what more data tells you...
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2017, 03:04 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Epic thread. Mooty, wow, A+ rant, would read again.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:18 PM
MBL287
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't post much but have been following this thread every day hoping for some V200 love. I thought would share my positive experience with a dealer in the NE. In January of 2015 I inquired about new '15 GT3 that wasat a semi-local dealer (35 miles from me) with whom I had no previous relationship. It was a typical white/pccb/lift/leather car with a upper 150k MSRP. After two emails I was offered the car at 3% off of MSRP. Yes, I wrote that correctly, I was offered a discount on a NEW '15 GT3 in January of 15.

I accepted and paid a $500 deposit to hold the car while I pleaded my case to my wife. Unfortunately my wife reminded me that she wanted a bigger place to keep her junk so I had to pass (still have sleepless nights over it). I told the dealer to hang on to my deposit and let me know when the next one becomes available.

I checked in with the SA in May of 15 when the run of '16s were announced but they did not get any. That was the last I spoke with her until the .2 was announced. I sent her an email asking to see how their list looked. To my surprise I was told that having put that $500 deposit down back in January of '15 was fortuitous as they considered it a standing list and I was second in line. I was told that first in line only wants his car if he can get a MT. And the best part of it all is that they do not sell above MSRP.

The SA said they got a total of six .1 RS's so she anticipates getting quite a few .2 GT3's.

So I ended up 2nd in line at MSRP for $500 at a dealer that I have no relationship with whatsoever other than having backed out of a sweet deal on a '15 two years ago. I assume that doesn't happen in SoCal!

And before anyone asks, she said they stopped taking additional spots because they received so many inquiries.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:27 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

^Right on!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Growth since 2008...
Oh you mean growth in auto sales, driven by cheap money flooding the market by a manipulative central bank? That growth?

I was referring to real growth, you know economic growth, corporate earnings, cash on cash ROI. Strangely those seem to be lagging the growth in asset values...
Old 03-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

You are only looking at the very short term fluctuations and not looking at the larger picture. Several quarter, or 2 quarters does not represent a trend worth much. See what more data tells you...
Aside from the fact that it tells me auto delinquencies, while lower than during the financial crisis, are above historical levels...it's totally irrelevant, because I'm not arguing that people can't pay their loans. I'm arguing that cheap money is the only reason that asset values are where they are, and eventually that has to come to an end or there will be much bigger problems down the road than $250k GT3 RS. You're focused on the issues that created and burst the last bubble. They're entirely, 100 percent different this time. But that doesn't mean there isn't a bubble.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by mass27
Your view is wrong regarding MSRP. MSRP actually means EVERYTHING. Can you envision a world where every good or service was a means to negotiate? Just because the economy is great, and every rennlister has $7892374972398473 to spend on fancy cars doesn't mean that anyone should ever pay more than MSRP. It's a completely flawed argument.

If you (and others) feel that the GT3 is really worth $200K, write a letter to PAG and tell them to raise MSRP to $200K.

Who the f*uck wants every single car purchase to be a mind f*uck of negotiations. I have money. I give money. You give stuff.

Take a deep breath Francis. I wasn't saying it's worth $200k or that I have any interest negotiating anything, just that MSRP on high dollar cars doesn't mean much of anything, especially during bubble times, and it's not uncommon for cars, especially low volume cars, to deviate from MSRP. Unless you're 12 or have been living under a rock, you can't argue with a straight face that this is unique to Porsche. Hell, Toyota was doing this in the early 90s when they (re)introduced the FJ80 Land Cruiser. Around the same time, Volvo was doing it on their R sedan, etc.

Dealer sets price. If I want, I buy, if I don't, I don't. I have no beef with the dealers (other than those that just sit on cars that aren't selling - that pisses me off). My beef, if any, is with Porsche itself. But I don't have the energy to have any beef about this nonsense. I've got a year to go test drive all the other cars I might buy instead while I wait to hear whether I get a GT3 allocation.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread