Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Either way you are going to pay. Either slowly, over many transactions, or all in one go, via market adjustment. Nobody rides for free in Porsche land.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

So much teen angst.

Cali stealerships bad. We all get it. Do we need to keep beating on this? People need to focus on the positive and what they do have in life. Either buy the car or don't, and move on.

I come on here looking for news and to see peoples' cars and what they are doing with them. Not criticizing other peoples choices and whinging about not getting what they what when they want it.

Housewives of Rennlist?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:48 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

^^^^

I agree, there's nothing new here that hasn't been discussed before here. Always turns into the same repetitive talk that's been happening since 2014.

The mark ups and other drama will never end unless the demand eases up or supply increases for some reason. Until then, play in the arena, buy something else, or watch from the sidelines.

In the meantime, better to share helpful and positive experiences to get the car one wants.

Making voodoo dolls of evil stealers and hoping the ones who have ones sitting and not selling burn in financial hell are a bit extreme and time wasters
Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Well... this is the allocation thread. Anyone got an allocation?

I feel like I've done everything I can and all that's left is to sit back with my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:01 PM
hlvg
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sadly, a thread about GT3 allocation is bound to expose a fair bit of frustration and not-so-positive experiences because that's the reality out there.
That said, throughout all the whines etc., a lot of valuable info has come out.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:07 PM
STG
Race Director

^^ I agree, knowing the current state of the .2 situation is very helpful. Mark ups included. Sometimes these conversations get a bit off topic though. The R's will crash and the RS's will be given away soon, etc ...
Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by hlvg
Sadly, a thread about GT3 allocation is bound to expose a fair bit of frustration and not-so-positive experiences because that's the reality out there. That said, throughout all the whines etc., a lot of valuable info has come out.
Yep. And it actually helps people have realistic expectations. If you don't have anything locked in at this point you either need to wait a year or two, or pay a big premium.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Either way you are going to pay. Either slowly, over many transactions, or all in one go, via market adjustment. Nobody rides for free in Porsche land.
I am puzzled by your post. Shouldn't the relationship be mutually beneficial to both parities? Or should the dealer give his limited number of allocation to whomever is first on the list and regular customers be damned?

If you owned the dealership, what would you do differently?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:19 PM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Well... this is the allocation thread. Anyone got an allocation?

I feel like I've done everything I can and all that's left is to sit back with my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
well.....according to that one post by Sonnen, someone has an allocation with their order already entered into the system. Whether that person is a RL member or not is to be determined.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:26 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I am puzzled by your post. Shouldn't the relationship be mutually beneficial to both parities? Or should the dealer give his limited number of allocation to whomever is first on the list and regular customers be damned?

The issue is that some dealerships are selling to the highest bidder- relationship be damned. What list? What loyalty?

From what I can see most of these are coporate owned dealers- but there are some pretty unscrupulous family dealerships too.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
The issue is that some dealerships are selling to the highest bidder- relationship be damned. What list? What loyalty?

From what I can see most of these are coporate owned dealers- but there are some pretty unscrupulous family dealerships too.
My point is I don't believe most dealers will do this to their regular and very loyal customers. For an example, I know of a guy that has bought 9 Porsche's over the past three years from the same dealer. Do you think ANY dealer who had a customer like that will charge him a premium over MSRP?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:34 PM
STG
Race Director

My point is I don't believe most dealers will do this to their regular and very loyal customers. For an example, I know of a guy that has bought 9 Porsche's over the past three years from the same dealer. Do you think ANY dealer who had a customer like that will charge him a premium over MSRP?

There are stories way worse than that.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Dealers have a limited number of cars like this to sell. They pay the bills and made the huge investment in their dealership. They get to decide how they want to give out those allocations. We get to decide if we want to do business with them or not.

Take California, for example. That place is a high tax regulation nightmare. Any business owner there is going to have higher costs. If there are literally people lining up to pay $50k over MSRP for the car, why not sell to them?

It is no different with any other business we interact with, whether it is the local restaurant or Target store. They run their business however they want. We choose who we want to shop with. It's capitalism.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Of course they won't. But those loyal customers have added to the bottom line of the dealership for years, so they have paid their dues so to speak. That was my point. Why would a dealership sell to me at MSRP when they have loyal customers who have bought from them for years and want it? I am not going to get that car. Say those people are all satisfied. Why am I going to get the car when someone else will pay more? I won't.

I only get the car when all demand from the above groups was satisfied.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:26 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Dealers have a limited number of cars like this to sell. They pay the bills and made the huge investment in their dealership. They get to decide how they want to give out those allocations. We get to decide if we want to do business with them or not.

Take California, for example. That place is a high tax regulation nightmare. Any business owner there is going to have higher costs. If there are literally people lining up to pay $50k over MSRP for the car, why not sell to them?

It is no different with any other business we interact with, whether it is the local restaurant or Target store. They run their business however they want. We choose who we want to shop with. It's capitalism.
It's most likely a blend of selling at the highest price they can and also trying to build a mutual beneficial relationship.

For example...

If I have 2 buyers and one is local and one is out of state, the local buyer has bought cars from me and services them with me and will probably do the same going forward but will only pay a $25k markup whereas the out of state buyer will pay $50k with no promise of more business... then the dealer will need to choose what's the better business strategy.

Selling all your cars at $50k over to out of state/ potentially non-repeat customers is great in the short term but pisses off all your local clients

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread