Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:11 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Glenn, is the sales manager and the decision maker. Your dealing with the right person. He is a no bull**** straight shooter.
Yeah for sure, definitely one of most straight forward GMs I've talked to. He straight up told me....I have whale customers that I need to take care of first with GT cars then I have about a dozen or two car guys and you'll fall into that category and anyone who flipped their car was blackballed from ever getting any future GT car. I told him that he'll get all my service business on my 3 GT cars which need regular maintenance because I drive them. We even talked about SD real estate for about 15-20 minutes. Definitely good folks over there and I'm grateful to have been introduced to Glenn and the dealership.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:56 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

My German mid-market dealer in a rich part of Germany where they sell a lot of Porsches told me he's getting 3 cars through the end of the year. I'm supposedly getting the third and the first that's manual. He's told me it should be November delivery and already made an initial contract. I don't know if it's the same process in Germany as in America with the V070 or if they know their allocations in Germany already or not.

I've had a deposit down for nearly 2 years and was #1 on their list.

Regardless, I think the idea that Porsche will produce a car for everybody is false. People aren't factoring in that a number of us never wanted a PDK GT3. They'd have to build significantly more cars to satisfy demand - especially with the regular Carreras being turbos now. Fleet emissions requirements didn't get any easier since 2014 and while Porsche might be selling a lot of Macans -- those aren't exactly electric green cars. On top of that this car has a "race-proven" motor again and people are still getting nearly MSRP for 2014 GT3's with problem engines.

This car is gonna sell for 25-50k over on the secondary market - easy. Compared to the other options on the market it's still gonna be a bargain.

Quite frankly, this car isn't going to be a 911R but I think people are underestimating how underserved the manual market is right now. Most sport car competitors went away from it in large part due to emissions. I don't remember the 991.1 GT3 being plastered all over my Facebook wall by multiple friends that I had no idea gave a **** about Porsche.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:55 AM
drechsler
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExMB
Reading all this stuff about dealers wanted first dibs at a buy back makes me wonder. How are they wording that buy back? .
I reviewed one. Dealer wanted first refusal for 2 years. Breech of the agreement would entitle dealer to any profit above MSRP upon resale of the car.

Had the agreement been [purchase at MSRP / buyback at MSRP] or [purchase at market/buyback at market], I might have been okay with that. Unfortunately the version I saw was [purchase at market/buyback at MSRP].
Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by drechsler
I reviewed one. Dealer wanted first refusal for 2 years. Breech of the agreement would entitle dealer to any profit above MSRP upon resale of the car.

Had the agreement been [purchase at MSRP / buyback at MSRP] or [purchase at market/buyback at market], I might have been okay with that. Unfortunately the version I saw was [purchase at market/buyback at MSRP].
Dayum. Talk about a stealer bending you over for a DP.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

To keep people from flipping for profit, it seems completely reasonable to have an agreement for buy-back at the same price you paid for it.

If they charge over MSRP though and expect to buy it back for MSRP then that just seems like a scam.

You never know what might happen in someone's life such that they have to let a car go before they intended. They shouldn't get screwed for giving it back!!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:14 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I am new here. I am trying to purchase my first Porsche.
Made my deposit 2 years ago for the 991.2 GT3, and was told couple of days ago that I stand very low chance of getting a car since I do not own any Porsche.
Here in Canada dealers are not allow to charge premium for new cars hence they suggest to purchase other 911 models now and trade them back in to get the GT3 allocation. In and out the total cost would be similar to a Mclaren 570S, which I cannot justify.
Does any rennlister has been in similar situation before and how did you handle this?
Much appreciated in advance.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SKY57
Made my deposit 2 years ago for the 991.2 GT3, and was told couple of days ago that I stand very low chance of getting a car since I do not own any Porsche.
Here in Canada dealers are not allow to charge premium for new cars hence they suggest to purchase other 911 models now and trade them back in to get the GT3 allocation. In and out the total cost would be similar to a Mclaren 570S, which I cannot justify.
Does any rennlister has been in similar situation before and how did you handle this?
what part of canada do you live in? Which city?
You are the second new member to join and mention that they have had a deposit down since 2015, but are now being told they cannot purchase without a trade in or previous ownership.. Did they neglect to mention this to you? is it written down on your deposit receipt that these are the conditions?

More info would help us to better understand your situation as it does not make much sense. (I've heard of this out in Van.. but not anywhere else.)
Old 03-13-2017, 01:29 PM
timwu12
Instructor

I realize that the GT3 is a highly desirable car, but to put a deposit down 2 years ago and only now be told that you can essentially forget about ever getting one from that dealer is bs. It's crap like this that would turn me off from a brand, especially since your'e a first time owner. Did the dealer not mention it to you 2 years ago when you placed a deposit that you needed to have previously bought or owned a Porsche?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:50 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 312 Likes on 165 Posts

So from my reading, there are 3 kinds of customers Dealers have to serve (or not): Whales, Flippers and Drivers. Whales get 3 points (it's a business, guys), Drivers get 2 and Flippers get zip.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:54 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Originally Posted by RealityGT
what part of canada do you live in? Which city?
You are the second new member to join and mention that they have had a deposit down since 2015, but are now being told they cannot purchase without a trade in or previous ownership.. Did they neglect to mention this to you? is it written down on your deposit receipt that these are the conditions?

More info would help us to better understand your situation as it does not make much sense. (I've heard of this out in Van.. but not anywhere else.)
The deposit was made without guarantee allocation.
At that time, I was told for an RS car, I will need previous purchase history to be able to get it, which I understand. I was also told for a GT3, with such early deposit, I should have a pretty good chance.
Now the mighty new GT3 turned out to be a highly desirable car and I guess my deposit doesn't worth much anymore.
Called other Ontario dealership, got the same answer. Looks like I am not the only one then.
Coming from other brands, this is pretty frustrating to see Ferrari games are now played by Porsche.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Nick
Race Car

Received 197 Likes on 97 Posts

The deposit was made without guarantee allocation.
At that time, I was told for an RS car, I will need previous purchase history to be able to get it, which I understand. I was also told for a GT3, with such early deposit, I should have a pretty good chance.
Now the mighty new GT3 turned out to be a highly desirable car and I guess my deposit doesn't worth much anymore.
Called other Ontario dealership, got the same answer. Looks like I am not the only one then.
Coming from other brands, this is pretty frustrating to see Ferrari games are now played by Porsche.
If you owned a Porsche dealership, how would you handle allocations for the GT3?
Old 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM
SKY57
Instructor

They mentioned that, but said this mostly applied to RS cars, hence I put my deposit down.
Unfortunately at that time, they wasn't even sure there will be a 991.2 GT3, hence there is no guarantee on the allocation.
For a GT3, I did expect it to be hard to get for the first few batches, but didn't realize it could be this EXCLUSIVE.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:02 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Deleted
Old 03-13-2017, 02:03 PM
SKY57
Instructor

If you owned a Porsche dealership, how would you handle allocations for the GT3?
Yes, I fully understand that. Relationships are built upon $$ spent.
Thank you for pointing this out.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Probably pretty similar to what most are doing, though would have to review the sales history of the dealership in question. The problem is not the dealers. The problem lies with Porsche in how they are producing and pricing these cars, at least it has in the recent past. Remains to be seen on the new car. Who knows, maybe they make 10,000 of them and surprise everyone...

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread