Sponsored by:

So what does this mean for 991.1 RS??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 308 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
I'll offer a slightly different perspective on values... BTW, I hate the financial aspects of the topic.

Any future RS is going to be priced significantly higher than the current version. I think a hike of 20% is not unthinkable. Therefore a reasonably spec'd car would be around the $230-$245k (plus tax) mark. The financials could put a lot of potential buyers off, especially those who the car is really intended for... the track guys!

Bearing in mind that the US and rest of the world values are almost entirely different, the current RS is in a niche of affordability and performance that remains unmatched and that could ensure values stay at, or move slightly above MSRP. As far as huge drops...not likely any time soon or even after the .2 RS is launched. In fact I am of the opinion that in a few years, values will increase significantly!

Just my perspective.
Porsche didn't bump the 991.2 GT3 anywhere close to 20% and won't with the 991.2 RS. I sold my GT3 over concerns about the longevity of the motor, and if I owned an RS I'd do the same. Even if the G motors hold up, perception is reality and right now there's a big "?" mark attached to them, particularly if these new motors prove to be everything as advertised.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Porsche didn't bump the 991.2 GT3 anywhere close to 20% and won't with the 991.2 RS. I sold my GT3 over concerns about the longevity of the motor, and if I owned an RS I'd do the same. Even if the G motors hold up, perception is reality and right now there's a big "?" mark attached to them, particularly if these new motors prove to be everything as advertised.
Well certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion. Your perception or concern doesn't seem to be that of other RS owners or the market for that matter. The 2015 GT3R, RS and 911R all share the same motor which is substantially different than the 991 GT3 from a valve train standpoint from improved oiling, revised valve springs, revised oil pressure and lower RPM limits. Many other high performance engines in Porsche's to Mustang GT350s rev into the 8000 range with hydraulic valve trains without issues. So far the .1 4.0L has proven bullet proof with a large number of RSs being thrashed routinely at the track, and no issues reported with 2015 Motorsport GT3Rs. Further, I think Porsche also had confidence in the .1 4.0 before the decided to drop it in an exclusive series car like the R.

Yeah, not worried one bit. Plus the .1 4.0 is Trakcar tested. Nuff said.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

Whilst I appreciate your response and reasoning, I don't entirely agree with the points you make.

We all know that PAG can comfortably charge more for their GT product. If better financials and profit increases are indeed mandated by their parent, it's logical for them to charge more for their product. That was my assumption and hence my statement about a possible 20% increase not being unthinkable.

Whilst your concerns about the engines in the GT3 may well be valid, I really don't think the same applies to later versions of those engines and those in the .1 RS. Come to think of it, even those in .1 GT3's have performed rock solidly. IMO, people have over reacted and need to bear in mind that PAG will, and have, stood by their product steadfastly. With that said, I stand by to be corrected so please elaborate about engine issues you're aware off that relate directly the .1 RS and why I should consider dumping the RS.

FYI, what I do know is of folks who have hammered their RS's on the track consistently and accumulated many thousands of miles without a glitch.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:39 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Don't agree with your opinion. All hi-performance cars can and will most probably develop some type of issue. Remember IMS and coolant pipes, Ferraris catch on fire too.

I wonder if you sleep with the lights on
Old 04-05-2017, 01:08 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

This continues to be a weird thread with predictions on values on a RS, and more so odd predictions on a car no one has driven? Second, a safe assumption anyone here with a RS can easily get a .2 GT3. I said that not being a wise ***, but I'm not sure most RS owners really care because they own, and have other cars ......more important they like the RS they have which has been problem free?

Third, it's on record based on members that had issues with the .1 Porsche has taken care them to their liking. Had I not purchased a RS I would have kept my .1 GT3 which was a solid car, and prefer the looks over the .2. With that said congrats to the ones that will score a .2, and I hope for years of enjoyment.

Fourth,history shows there will always be an upgrade to all cars built at this level .......but if you get sucked into the marketing game buy the new toy just know a new one is in the making. I can get a .2 at MSRP but I will not take a car from a person that really wants the car vs. me taking the car and selling because I can. Doing right by people that want GT cars starts with us, but each to his own. Also, I would like to hear of anyone who has had a bad engine with a RS? By the way I can careless where prices fall as my car is a keeper until I see fit to move it if necessary. By the way my GT3 was sold very close to what I paid for it, and the dealer knew about the .2 so not really concerned as much as this guessing game on values proliferate with no data to suggest these theories. If you have a RS enjoy it, and if you have a GT3 enjoy it's a great car! Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by Maverick787; 04-05-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:11 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 368 Posts

Agree. My 997.2 had case porosity, RMS and i proactively did the coolant pipes before they popped. As stout as the GT cars are, they all have flaws. As with the 997 series flaws, the aftermarket will come to the rescue with a solution to make them even more reliable as the miles pile on. If anything, I'm going to guess that the 9A1 motors will end up more reliable as time goes on.

In spite of the flaws, I can't think of any other cars that stand up to track abuse quite as well. In the 30K miles I owned my last GT3, it just took consumables, fluids and regular maintenance and never once left me stranded on road or track. That car is still going strong. I see the tank as half full
Old 04-05-2017, 01:57 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
This continues to be a weird thread with predictions on values on a RS, and more so odd predictions on a car no one has driven? Second, a safe assumption anyone here with a RS can easily get a .2 GT3. I said that not being a wise ***, but I'm not sure most RS owners really care because they one, and have other cars ......more important they like the RS they have which has been problem free?

Third, it's on record based on members that had issues with the .1 Porsche has taken care them to their liking. Had I not purchased a RS I would have kept my .1 GT3 which was a solid car, and prefer the looks over the .2. With that said congrats to the ones that will score a .2, and I hope for years of enjoyment.

Forth, history shows there will always be an upgrade to all cars built at this level .......but if you get sucked into the marketing game buy the new toy just know a new one is in the making. I can get a .2 at MSRP but I will not take a car from a person that really wants the car vs. me taking the car and selling because I can. Doing right by people that want GT cars starts with us, but each to his own. Also, I would like to hear of anyone who has had a bad engine with a RS? By the way I can careless where prices fall as my car is a keeper until I see fit to move it if necessary. By the way my GT3 was sold very close to what I paid for it, and the dealer knew about the .2 so not really concerned as much as this guessing game on values proliferate with no data to suggest these theories. If you have a RS enjoy it, and if you have a GT3 enjoy it's a great car! Sorry for the rant.
Nicely stated. I also don't understand the people advocating dumping an RS (or GT3 with G or even F motors for that matter) purely on speculation about potential for future engine failure in favor of a car with a motor with new tech that nobody has even seen let alone driven yet in widespread consumer use. It will have its Achilles heel like every engine has, hopefully without the inauspicious start the 9A1 had courtesy of bad rod bolts.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Again, the 991.1 4.0L top end is totally different than the 3.8.

As AP said (knowing the intermittent issues they were having with the 3.8 top end) they went totally through the 4.0L. Doubt they would put a motor two marque models (RS and R) they felt would result in an embarassment for them espeically knowing the issues with some of the 3.8 valve trains.

They may be greedy but they are not stupid.

Minute 6.

There you have it.

They have proven as reliable as anvils thus far with lots of thrashing by many as many have not been shy about tracking these beasts.

Like I said "Trakcar tested".
Old 04-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,454 Likes on 758 Posts

This whole thread seems devoted to justifying the value of the .1 RS now that the .2 GT3 has been released. I think this is all ridiculous and any one who owns an RS should not even be engaging in this rhetoric. I do not buy Porsche "GT" cars for my ego. I buy them because I love them and because I love driving the closest thing to a race car you can drive on the street. Those weekend morning drives make me feel "alive" again after a stressful week of work. It is reward I gift to Myself for working hard and not to justify my social position in life.

Enjoy these toys because that is all they are. They are not trophy wives.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,294 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
This whole thread seems devoted to justifying the value of the .1 RS now that the .2 GT3 has been released. I think this is all ridiculous and any one who owns an RS should not even be engaging in this rhetoric. I do not buy Porsche "GT" cars for my ego. I buy them because I love them and because I love driving the closest thing to a race car you can drive on the street. Those weekend morning drives make me feel "alive" again after a stressful week of work. It is reward I gift to Myself for working hard and not to justify my social position in life.

+1
Old 04-05-2017, 11:06 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

What prices do on any of these cars is beyond our control. What is in our control is the ability to reach for the keys and enjoy them.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

If anyone is nervous about the price fluctuations of their GT cars they should sell them and buy T bills. These cars are made to be driven!

Nobody really knows where the final value of any car will be. The trajectory of other marques may give isome idea what the market may do. For the past few years car investors went after Ferraris. The prices got bid up fairly quickly. Their became very rich, r so rich in fact that many potential investors were locked out of that market. Porsches now have been gathering a lot of steam. At some point in time though our cars will get too rich in valuation and the money will go elsewhere. I remember an old guy, that was very very successful in the market, telling me that the real secret was not what or when to buy but really when to sell. Hold at your own peril.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:58 AM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
This continues to be a weird thread with predictions on values on a RS, and more so odd predictions on a car no one has driven? Second, a safe assumption anyone here with a RS can easily get a .2 GT3. I said that not being a wise ***, but I'm not sure most RS owners really care because they own, and have other cars ......more important they like the RS they have which has been problem free?

Fourth,history shows there will always be an upgrade to all cars built at this level .......but if you get sucked into the marketing game buy the new toy just know a new one is in the making. I can get a .2 at MSRP but I will not take a car from a person that really wants the car vs. me taking the car and selling because I can. Doing right by people that want GT cars starts with us, but each to his own. Also, I would like to hear of anyone who has had a bad engine with a RS? By the way I can careless where prices fall as my car is a keeper until I see fit to move it if necessary. By the way my GT3 was sold very close to what I paid for it, and the dealer knew about the .2 so not really concerned as much as this guessing game on values proliferate with no data to suggest these theories. If you have a RS enjoy it, and if you have a GT3 enjoy it's a great car! Sorry for the rant.
Very well said !
Now is time to close this thread, there's too much BS.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:25 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

Yep...so much defensiveness. At least the .1 RS production number debate has subsided.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:31 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Yep...so much defensiveness. At least the .1 RS production number debate has subsided.
+1 It's entertaining to watch cognitive dissonance in action.

Quick Reply: So what does this mean for 991.1 RS??