McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:57 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,129 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because they cannot. Unless they just want to take an off-the-shelf engine from another make (a la Pagani with AMG), or revisit the F1 scenario with BMW.
Why is that? Would think they could have made the 570S NA by ditching the turbos, increasing the compression, etc. It already spins to 8,500rpm, so it would make 500hp without turbos and lose weight too.

A little more displacement would give even more power & torque.

I think it was a matter of what was easiest and what suited their brand more than an impossibly...
Old 05-04-2017, 01:03 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

I think that would be possible but it likely and definitely not profitable.

Yes the 3.8 and now 4.0 make a ton of power. It would likely never pass emissions or at least would need help.

BUT- They are bringing some hybrid tech soon. Maybe they will do the same thing that porsche is considering...Na With Hybrid.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500hp is not competitive at the pricepoint and level of performance they need the car to be at in order to be profitable.

It's not that easy. "Ditching the turbos and increasing compression" needs its own design, tooling, test and validation process and then you have the homologation expenses for the major markets. For a small-volume manufacturer who farms its engines out to Ricardo, this is simply not feasible.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:11 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,034 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Why is that? Would think they could have made the 570S NA by ditching the turbos, increasing the compression, etc. It already spins to 8,500rpm, so it would make 500hp without turbos and lose weight too.

A little more displacement would give even more power & torque.

I think it was a matter of what was easiest and what suited their brand more than an impossibly...
Didn't mean to suggest it was not possible, as in it is not possible for oil and water to mix.

But merely that it would not make financial sense from a development and R&D perspective, nor from a marketing and company philosophy standpoint.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:19 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 217 Posts

I really enjoy driving my 570S but my 2 week ownership has been full of headaches.

Transport issues
ESC Fault Limphome error
Brake pedal sensor issue
Satellite radio skipping in and out
Radio not even recognized by the car now
Speedometer off by 10 mph at 100 mph
Odometer puts on miles 10% quicker than all my other cars
Comfort seat entry only works occasionally

McLaren fixed the ESC Fault and brake sensor and either "can't reproduce" my other complaints or say it is "normal". I have photos to prove it all. I'm frustrated.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:40 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I really enjoy driving my 570S but my 2 week ownership has been full of headaches.

Transport issues
ESC Fault Limphome error
Brake pedal sensor issue

McLaren fixed the ESC Fault and brake sensor and either "can't reproduce" my other complaints or say it is "normal". I have photos to prove it all. I'm frustrated.
Sorry to hear. I'm distinctly under the impression one should avoid first year runs of any McLaren model... or any british model for that matter.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:46 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Not surprising to see reviewers who own LTs that are seeing their values drop due to the 720 talking it down.
I just bought a lightly used LT despite the 720 being much cheaper and faster. If anything, I think the values of well specced LT's will hold their own over the long run.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:58 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
I just bought a lightly used LT despite the 720 being much cheaper and faster. If anything, I think the values of well specced LT's will hold their own over the long run.
Cosign on that.

A well specced car is always worth more in the long run.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:14 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Cosign on that.

A well specced car is always worth more in the long run.
An LT Spider would also make a nice companion to the Coupe.

Last edited by Scrappy1972; 05-04-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:17 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Transport issues
ESC Fault Limphome error
Brake pedal sensor issue

Sorry to hear about all the problem. That doesn't sound that confidence inspiring to take to the track. At least you have your RS
Old 05-04-2017, 03:03 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
They fully warranty their cars even on track as long as you do pre and post track inspection.
Is it for each track day or for each year of track driving? If it's two dealer visits for every track day, it's beyond ridiculous. People beach and moan about having to replace GT3's center lock nuts once after every ~60 track days, and that's not even on the same scale.

I really like McLaren cars but with the goal of 15-20+ track days a year, I really need to take such things into account.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:17 AM
changster123
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

WHERE IS THE VEHICLE VIRGINS REVIEW OF THE 720S?! I'M WAITING TO SEE THAT REVIEW BEFORE I PLACE MY ORDER!!!

lol
Old 05-04-2017, 08:27 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Is it for each track day or for each year of track driving? If it's two dealer visits for every track day, it's beyond ridiculous. People beach and moan about having to replace GT3's center lock nuts once after every ~60 track days, and that's not even on the same scale.

I really like McLaren cars but with the goal of 15-20+ track days a year, I really need to take such things into account.
I will typically recommend a quick look before and after a weekend of tracking.

Wednesday: drop car off, pick up thursday, track sat and sun, drop off monday pick up tuesday.

It helps if you are local.

To be fair- it is laborious for the team and owner. But- you should be getting your car inspected every two days whether you drive a boxster or a CGT. Tires won't last forever on any car and neither will brake fluid.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:34 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

Transport issues
ESC Fault Limphome error
Brake pedal sensor issue

I have a colleague that has a 570s....he tells me he has no issues with his what.so.ever. i told him give it some time

i hope Mac comes to the rescue! nothing worse than a supercar that is on limp mode
Old 05-04-2017, 10:44 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by isv

The difference is that a journalist (at least the more established ones ie Harris/Bovingdon/meaden etc) have shown they actually have a decent understanding of car dynamics and do actually know how to drive quickly. Swaning up and down a city centre with an expensive car that family money has procured doesn't make one's opinion of how that car might drive in any way more relevant than even a biased journalist imo.
Yes they do, but in the end, Henry Catchpole said exactly the same as the vloggers and probably other journos.

Plus, what does it matter where the money came from? I bet more than half of rennlist owners has a Porsche either by consequence of the wealth of the parents or directly related to the wealth of the parents (Business heirs or work in the family business, like JWW for example), those people are literally the meat of the client database of these supercar companies, so those, are actually the ones that matter, because those are the ones that will buy today, 10 years from now and hopefully have their children as clients too.
So I don't understand what's your beef with family money (don't want to get in your life, but any man should think about legacy, not only theirs but their family legacy too, money is a massive part of it).

Quick Reply: McLaren Success