Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

I think it looks gorgeous , and they should ONLY make it in red and white livery.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
You have to build a street car to homologate it as a race car
Yes but you can homologate almost any damn thing that has zero relevance to the actual race car. The GTE cars are a bit of a joke in with respect to their homolgated road cars (Porsche RSR I'm looking at you). In any case if Mclaren are going to race this they are going to have a huge BoP hurdle to overcome imo which so far has not helped them in GT3 or GT4.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I think it looks gorgeous , and they should ONLY make it in red and white livery.
I've seen some amazing MSO renders of this car already and I can tell you, wait until you see some other combos.. really impressive stuff they're doing with this design, lots of options to make it look a little sleeker, that launch color red doesn't do it any favors.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 AM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think there are any tweaks [or colours] that can help this design - it's not something minor, it's the overall proportions and shape that are just jarring and uncomfortable, IMO.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:38 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Yes but you can homologate almost any damn thing that has zero relevance to the actual race car. The GTE cars are a bit of a joke in with respect to their homolgated road cars (Porsche RSR I'm looking at you). In any case if Mclaren are going to race this they are going to have a huge BoP hurdle to overcome imo which so far has not helped them in GT3 or GT4.
They won GT3 championships. In the 650. Did you miss that ? Bathurst, PWC Champs in 2016, blancpain, etc.

GT4- car had more pole positions than any other car in imsa this year. But- Driver's crashed, pit crews made mistakes etc. they should have easily won the championship.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:46 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I like the Glickenhaus car. That Mclaren is plain ugly !
Old 12-11-2017, 02:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I like the Glickenhaus car. That Mclaren is plain ugly !
Very sleek, almost old school machine in person
Old 12-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

“...a new breed of carbon ceramic brake discs known as CCM-R. Because the material is four-times more thermally efficient than previous carbon ceramics, they’re actually smaller and therefore lighter. One slight catch: each disc takes seven months of layering and curing to produce.”

Taken from the Top Gear article in the Senna, pretty cool. Can’t imagine what these cost to replace, but given the price of the car, I’d imagine most owners aren’t too worried.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:08 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Burren
Its....incredibly ugly. It's performance is neat, I guess? But, it's unusable except on a track. I guess at this age I don't give a s**t about these pointless "look at me" hyper cars. I suppose it's fun for the Middle East oil money and insecure folks.
Yeah, because what insecure folks want the most, is an extravagant car. #Logic
Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by Warren99
I wouldn’t call it pretty, but I think it’s a very cool looking car. I like it a lot. There are a lot of neat details on it. Can’t wait to see what it can do on a track. I also like the looks of the 720s a lot. I get why some wouldn’t, especially on this forum, because it’s a more
polarizing design. Looks are subjective so I’m not gonna tell someone they’re wrong for liking or not liking the looks of a car. I like that Mclaren is adventurous with their designs, even if it doesn’t always work. Same can’t be said for Porsche, although I really like their design as well, especially of the 911 and Panamera Sport Turismo.
The details are a LOT better than the whole. When looking at the parts, it looks like they nailed them over and over again, but then the whole is just horrible, I think it's the proportions that are all wrong, the front hang size and even the rear are wayyyy off, they should have maintained the lines/proportions of the 720.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

The car raises interesting questions:

- Does a no-compromise absolute focus on performance necessarily result in aesthetics which don't quite looking pleasing?

- If pleasing aesthetics are given some priority, how much does that compromise performance?

More specific to McLaren:

- Did they focus on performance, knowing that many would find the car somewhat ugly?

- Or does McLaren simply not have an eye for aesthetics, or maybe not care much about aesthetics?

I don't know the answers. The performance will likely be about as amazing (for a street-legal car) as the looks are considered ugly by many people.

Maybe some people will buy the car because they consider the aesthetics somewhat ugly, and therefore make the car stand out? A kind of rich person's FU to the world?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by Manifold
The car raises interesting questions ...
  • Does a no-compromise absolute focus on performance necessarily result in aesthetics which don't quite looking pleasing?
  • If pleasing aesthetics are given some priority, how much does that compromise performance?
More specific to McLaren:
  • Did they focus on performance, knowing that many would find the car somewhat ugly?
  • Or does McLaren simply not have an eye for aesthetics, or maybe not care much about aesthetics?
I don't know the answers. The performance will likely be about as amazing (for a street-legal car) as the looks are considered ugly by many people.
Maybe some people will buy the car because they consider the aesthetics somewhat ugly, and therefore make the car stand out? A kind of rich person's FU to the world?
1) I would say no, look at Project One, the Aston Martin Valkyrie, the P1 GTR, Ford GT they all awesome and all look at least decent. Then you can add the GTE class, the LMP classes, they all look great in their own right. The racing versions of any GT cars. I don't remember one that looks as remotely close to this level of ugly.
2) Not many, as said above. Cars can look both decent and be fast. The problem in this car, wasn't that the aero are bad looking, it's the proportions and the way they strapped them to a 720s body, like a cheap Novitec type of job, that changed the proportions by extending the size of the front after the wheel and the back.

A good FU to the world that doesn't make you look like you bought a chaved up Gemballa equivalent or a Novitec N-largo, is the P1 GTR. Plenty rare, more powerful, very extravagant, fast as hell, just a couple of million more.

As for Mclaren, CJ and Calexio might know who is the head designer and the person responsible for this mess of a design, by knowing who it is and the past work might be helpful to see why some (bad) decisions were made.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
The details are a LOT better than the whole. When looking at the parts, it looks like they nailed them over and over again, but then the whole is just horrible, I think it's the proportions that are all wrong, the front hang size and even the rear are wayyyy off, they should have maintained the lines/proportions of the 720.
I agree, the details are better than the whole and the proportions are off. Like I said, I wouldn’t call it pretty, but I don’t think it’s ugly either. Just my personal opinion, but I understand why others wouldn’t like it.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:02 AM
RSUV
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

This is just unnecessarily ugly in my view. Trying to rationalise it is like the emperor’s new clothes. All the forums the pattern is the same. The initial and overwhelming reaction is that this car is just plain ugly, with a few McLaren die-hards stoutly defending it and subsequently others trying to soften their opinion and justify it on the basis of “a company like McLaren must know what they’re doing surely?”.

The argument seems to be that such ugliness is justifiable because they are pushing the aero envelope and laptime is the only important thing for this car. However I believe this argument unravels because the truth is that they have delivered a ‘no limitations’ aero car, limited by their carbon tub. It’s why the Valkyrie is even more aggressive in aero terms - and more expensive. It is totally bespoke.

So the Senna is a car designed to push the aero/chassis as far as it can, given the constraints of price and McLaren’s existing roadcar-biased architecture. Which immediately begs the question, what is the point of not sacrificing a few more tenths to make the car much more desirable?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

This is sort of like when the Panamera was first introduced.

It was butt ugly (pun intended), but folks just sort of justified Stuttgart's take on Bangle-butt because, well, it was a Porsche.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success