Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 712 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by COTA1
The ladies on the Mc forum are all fired up over one bad review. It's quite a comical thread I just went to read.
Understatement.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I don't think 720 will take a price bath like 650 did.. it feels like a piece of jewelry up close, and it's performance is clearly unparalleled a that price. If you're looking for a turbo and not a NA V12, there is nothing else in the mid $300k range.

I think the problem is more a general one, and it lies in the fact that turbo cars have a difficult time feeling as exciting as NA, and as we continue to head down the turbo path, previous 2nd tier competitors like Lamborghini are going to emerge as favorites due to their NA engines.

For the first time, a huracan may become more desirable than a comparable 488, same with Performante vs upcoming Speciale. Throw this otherwise amazing 720s into the mix and still.. the v10 may intoxicate you more on a test drive despite being arguably a generation behind in design and content.

We've all gone fast now, 500hp is the new 300hp... so 720hp doesn't really make your ***** tingle anymore. The sound of a big NA engine DOES! $ go where the tingle is.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:54 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I don't think 720 will take a price bath like 650 did.. it feels like a piece of jewelry up close, and it's performance is clearly unparalleled a that price. If you're looking for a turbo and not a NA V12, there is nothing else in the mid $300k range.

I think the problem is more a general one, and it lies in the fact that turbo cars have a difficult time feeling as exciting as NA, and as we continue to head down the turbo path, previous 2nd tier competitors like Lamborghini are going to emerge as favorites due to their NA engines.

For the first time, a huracan may become more desirable than a comparable 488, same with Performante vs upcoming Speciale. Throw this otherwise amazing 720s into the mix and still.. the v10 may intoxicate you more on a test drive despite being arguably a generation behind in design and content.

We've all gone fast now, 500hp is the new 300hp... so 720hp doesn't really make your ***** tingle anymore. The sound of a big NA engine DOES! $ go where the tingle is.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:00 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Not surprising to see reviewers who own LTs that are seeing their values drop due to the 720 talking it down.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,745 Likes on 5,128 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

Had a chance to drive a Huracan and a 488, back-to-back, on consecutive days. A day each. And I can tell you that if you asked me today which car I would prefer to take home? It's not the Ferrari.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Ferrari made a mistake going turbo with the 488. The 488 doesn't perform as well as the 675/720, and now lacks the emotional driving experience compared to all previous mid-engine Ferrari, so all it has now is the name and the Ferrari look.

There are more buyers of supercars these days with the economy and cheap money so plenty of business to go around right now. If it was 2007-8 again, I think Ferrari would notice the dropoff in demand created by Mclaren.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:19 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Agree.

Different, but thought for about two weeks on trading 458 for 488. Finally drove 488 and said to myself why?

Stuck with the 'older' model and perfectly happy. The NA is just too good.
I really enjoyed the huracan love the v10, the 458 also very fun great engine. Really liked both of these cars. The 488 on track just left me wanting. Ferrari seems to be focusing on street driving and leaving the track to possibly the new speciale, not sure but one can only hope?
Old 05-03-2017, 11:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Agree.

Different, but thought for about two weeks on trading 458 for 488. Finally drove 488 and said to myself why?

Stuck with the 'older' model and perfectly happy. The NA is just too good.
Originally Posted by Drifting
Ferrari made a mistake going turbo with the 488. The 488 doesn't perform as well as the 675/720, and now lacks the emotional driving experience compared to all previous mid-engine Ferrari, so all it has now is the name and the Ferrari look.

There are more buyers of supercars these days with the economy and cheap money so plenty of business to go around right now. If it was 2007-8 again, I think Ferrari would notice the dropoff in demand created by Mclaren.
Originally Posted by race7117
I really enjoyed the huracan love the v10, the 458 also very fun great engine. Really liked both of these cars. The 488 on track just left me wanting. Ferrari seems to be focusing on street driving and leaving the track to possibly the new speciale, not sure but one can only hope?
For me it wasn't about FI v NA engines when it came to a preference between the Huracan and the 488.

It was just that as a GT car, which the 488 GTB is most definitely now, the Huracan was just better. (For that matter as a pure GT car, I'd probably take the Huracan over a 458 Italia.)

Maybe the 488 Speciale will make me rekindle my desire for a Ferrari sports car.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:34 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,245 Likes on 610 Posts

Guys I am not attacking anything other than the fact that these guys are driving on tiny regular roads- it's hardly a fair way to push a car. Sam and JWW can't really go out and thrash a car with a guardrail 10 inches away. You need the track- bottom line. Otherwise everyone will be "oh hey it's fast and rides nice".

Kinda hard to bang shifts of the redline in 2nd and 3rd etc unless you're really driving a familiar road. Or Col' du Galibier, Col du petit St Bernard etc. But this is not where they drove.

The LT is more hardcore. I love mine.
The RS is more hardcore vs a turbo. It has a different ethos. The SV as an example is really an "occasion car". The McLarens are designed to be "cars from the future that can handle anything" so there are some things that get thrown in there to smooth out more wide range of use. Luggage shelf. Glass roof. Two way rocker paddles. Drift control. Etc.

The 720S is the successor to the 650S, it's designed to be "3 cars in one"- so if you want to drive it like a Carrera GT- throw it in track/track and take ESC OFF. then scare yourself. If you drive one of these things on a public road 9-10/10ths you're insane or have a closed road. They're terrifying just like a CGT would be.

I 10000% agree that a TDF or another properly exhausted v12 sounds like angels voices...but a TDF is 1.35M on the street. And a 675LT is faster and more lithe than a aventador SV and rightly costs way less. Hell- an RS with side muffler delete sounds like the RSR race car.

Noises mean a lot to me.

The biggest issues I have had with the non-P1 cars:

Noises (solved by 675, supposedly also on 720)
Interior (solved by 720- now it's a spaceship)

Nothing anyone ever complained about in a mclaren: the ride quality. First gen in the 12C, they proved that their hydro-suspension was the future.

You aren't hearing owners say:
"It's too hard to access the power"- more like "where the hell can I really do 150+?"

So, lets lend more credence to the track reviews because at least there someone can nuke the pedals and see "what it can do" and "where the limit is" because as a buyer that's all I personally care about...and that's not everyone which is totally ok! Ok?

Also- in line with my comments...unless a blogger or journo is demonstrating the variable drift control feature I'm going to be questioning his level of driver skill and therefore his relevance. Not to be inflammatory but since that, to me, is the coolest part of the car, that's what I want to hear about and see.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Good write up CJ - interesting points.

But in the end - it's begs the questions - why doesn't Mac make 1 car - just 1 -with a naturally aspirated 8?

Demand would likely be off the charts.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:02 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
How do McLarens hold up around tracks? Are they ok to take them occasionally there? Any problems?

How are the rear pads doing without the slip diff? Compared to Porsche GT3 how much more expensive it is to maintain them? Ferrari gives for example 7 years free maintenance...

How would you compare 720s against 488GTB? I would love to own F car at one point but all that tech in McLarens plus their carbon construction and performance makes me lean towards that brand. Less all that BS with VIPs when willing to order Ferrari. And I believe Ferrari is a bit overestimating their power output and lightness which to me is a bit disgraceful.
I've put 4500 miles on my LT. Track it about 1/4 those miles. Holding up fine so far as long as I do track inspection via McLaren. They fully warranty their cars even on track as long as you do pre and post track inspection.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:05 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-eztrader-,

Because they can only sell as many as they can build and the investment necessary and the fact that it cannot meet future noise and emissions regulations in the state of tune required for such an emotional product makes it unfeasible for such a small manufacturer.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:07 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

The ladies on the Mc forum are all fired up over one bad review. It's quite a comical thread I just went to read.
Last I checked.. I have *****
Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,618 Posts

https://drivetribe.com/p/Y742Vnj2Rtu...TGm-cKp_G8vwWw

Henry Catchpole's initial impression was definitely less than 100% favorable. The man can wheel and his review of the P1 and F1 is one of my favorites of all time. I love his written reviews even better than his videos.

He did drive it on the track, but admits several things. 1. The track was kind of nasty. 2. They had 2 sessions of 3 laps...not much time to get to know the car. 3. He has more extended time booked in it shortly and hopes to solidify his impressions there. 4. He knows it's not an LT.

So, similar to other reviews. Amazing car, huge step on, immensely capable, slightly clinical. I wonder if McLaren's choice of launch venue was a poor move on their part? In any event, sounds like McLaren have produced a thoroughly amazing machine. I think everyone is expecting it to be an LT, which it isn't.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:36 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Good write up CJ - interesting points.

But in the end - it's begs the questions - why doesn't Mac make 1 car - just 1 -with a naturally aspirated 8?

Demand would likely be off the charts.
Because they cannot. Unless they just want to take an off-the-shelf engine from another make (a la Pagani with AMG), or revisit the F1 scenario with BMW.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success