Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Real Pic's soon I guess ?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Real Pic's soon I guess ?
Isn't that orange pic floating around the web today the car, or no? I was assuming that was from one of the reveal parties.

If it is, my bank account is safe. May be an awesome machine, but the proportions of it look wacky to me.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited by allans; 02-16-2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Repeat
Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
This is the replacement for the 650, so coupe base will be a little under $300K.

The first cars are special numbered launch cars.
Ah, that clears things up, particularly on price. So the 720 replaces the 650, and so in about 6-8 months they will announce the 720 spider, and then 6-8 months after that the replacement for the 675LT, also with the 4.0L engine, but further power increases.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:13 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,241 Likes on 610 Posts

They are slowing down the roll outs. With the 3 seater project they have plenty of data to shovel around and are treating the 720 spider as a "we'll get to it when we get to it" type thing. It is not a hard date on that one.

The 720S coupe will be priced similarly to 650S in regards to msrp, within a single digit %.

When I saw the car in the flesh in the fall in UK I was mesmerized by the aero, and the upgraded interior. And then they played a video of it.

The first cars will start landing in June/July depending on the market. They are using our deposit tracking to ramp up production and will have the entire workforce devoted to getting as many cars to the customers as soon as they can in order to maintain market momentum.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I asked my friend who went to the unveiling and owned a 675LT what he would prefer between the two. He said 720 without a doubt.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:54 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 365 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I asked my friend who went to the unveiling and owned a 675LT what he would prefer between the two. He said 720 without a doubt.
After seeing the base car, I asked so how do you improve for an LT version?
"
No idea at this stage, not even thought about it, we have thrown the kitchen sink at this car, left nothing on the table."

Just don't have cup of coffee in your hand around your PC keypad when the Official pics come out........Lol
Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
whats the price of a nicely loaded p14?
as already said 650 Territory.
in EU: 255.000€ incl. 19% VAT - loaded below 299k€ incl. VAT.

thats GT2RS pricing i suppose.
or in other words: a GT2RS would have to be a bit cheaper if he wants to compete successfully also in terms of performance/pricing ratio.

Originally Posted by fskof
Has McLaren announced when the spider version of the 720s will be released?
i guess late 2018 for season 2019. doors have to be redesigned... comparible with Huayra and Huayra Roadster
570 spider will be presented this year in Goodwood.

for sure 720LT version is also comming out around 2019.

i´m a happy chap currently: bought yesterday a 570s to bridge the time - option on 720s within 2017. looking forward to Geneva!
Old 02-17-2017, 05:36 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm very impressed with McLaren. While other companies are hoarding their money, McLaren is spending on R&D and investing in the future of their cars. This 720 is going to be a beast. What separates McLaren imo is the carbon tub and suspension. I don't think the GT2 RS will be a competitor. Porsche needs to come out with the Fefi soon to compete. I will still get the 991.2 GT3 because it is a manual, NA and will be reliable for tracking. I see no reason anyone would choose a Turbo S over a 570gt or the GT2 RS over the 720s, unless we are talking about resale.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:20 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Originally Posted by drdonger
I see no reason anyone would choose a Turbo S over a 570gt or the GT2 RS over the 720s, unless we are talking about resale.
With respect, I do. I see no reason as to why the on track running costs will be any cheaper on the 720s than what they are for an LT.

These are not just on another planet, but another" Galaxy " in comparison to what my 91RS has cost to track over the past 34 Events.....
Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,241 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Apolo1
With respect, I do. I see no reason as to why the on track running costs will be any cheaper on the 720s than what they are for an LT.

These are not just on another planet, but another" Galaxy " in comparison to what my 91RS has cost to track over the past 34 Events.....
We are talking about a GT2RS vs the mc7.

The chief benefit of a 3RS is definitely the cost- brakes are cheap to replace, and with only 500hp the tires can go a few days without replacing.

Carbon rotors are more expensive to fix but the 675LT can actually accept the z28/ z06 carbon rotors which are not that much more expensive (2-3x but last 4x as long) vs the porsche steel/iron (which after 34 events would have to be replaced multiple times)

Local Porsche stores in LA charge 200/ hr for labor, our mclaren store charges 160.

Not sure where the extra expense occurs?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:07 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

I was referring to the Turbo S and GT2 RS, not the Gt3 or GT3 RS. Both have carbon ceramics, which are a lot more expensive than the steels on the 570GT and ceramics on the 570s and 720s as CJ mentioned. IMO the 570 beats the Turbo S in every categor except reliability (maybe).
Looks
Comfort
Performance
Resale
Sound

https://youtu.be/CiT9CC1x5lw
Old 02-17-2017, 07:42 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
We are talking about a GT2RS vs the mc7.

The chief benefit of a 3RS is definitely the cost- brakes are cheap to replace, and with only 500hp the tires can go a few days without replacing.

Carbon rotors are more expensive to fix but the 675LT can actually accept the z28/ z06 carbon rotors which are not that much more expensive (2-3x but last 4x as long) vs the porsche steel/iron (which after 34 events would have to be replaced multiple times)

Local Porsche stores in LA charge 200/ hr for labor, our mclaren store charges 160.

Not sure where the extra expense occurs?
Hi Morning...

Actually in comparison to the replacement cost of CCBDs on the 91RS to the LT, the cost is about 2 times on the 91RS. Pads are about 50% more for the 91RS.

But whist the LT discs do wear out in line with what the maker intended. The CCBDs on the 91RS are much harder wearing. Mine CCBDs after 34 events and 10k miles have very little wear, along with on 2nd set of Pads.....I do on average 200-220 track miles on an event( though I admit some days have been fogged or rained off) I take it you are aware of the ceramic coating on the CCBDs that are unique to VAG as a group. Aside to one other that being AMG.

Sorry, but I have zero experience of the steel Discs on Porsche or any Mac car.....I am aware of the none OEM CCBDs that are available for LTs, along with the excellent value performance that they offer. How would this work if the car was to be resold through the Mac network, I presume that a set of OEM would have purchased? Maybe the thing to do is put the OEM ones in a box on day one and just fit the aftermarket ones.

Over the above time frame my 91RS Has cost less than 9K GBP, to run. This to include tyres, Pads, Oil and brake fluid Changes, and though not required for warranty purpose post inspections, but like to keep safe..

If I had done the same about of events in my LT based on usage over a couple of events the cost would have been a whole lot more. Though I agree that the after market discs would help reduce this..

I know a bit about the 2RS, not expecting this be more than my 91RS from a on track cost prospective.

Last edited by Apolo1; 02-17-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

The first cars will start landing in June/July depending on the market. They are using our deposit tracking to ramp up production and will have the entire workforce devoted to getting as many cars to the customers as soon as they can in order to maintain market momentum.
Wow, imagine that. Actually attempting to build as many cars as your customers demand instead of artificially limiting supply. How refreshing.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Hi Morning...

Actually in comparison to the replacement cost of CCBDs on the 91RS to the LT, the cost is about 2 times on the 91RS. Pads are about 50% more for the 91RS.

But whist the LT discs do wear out in line with what the maker intended. The CCBDs on the 91RS are much harder wearing. Mine CCBDs after 34 events and 10k miles have very little wear, along with on 2nd set of Pads.....I do on average 200-220 track miles on an event( though I admit some days have been fogged or rained off) I take it you are aware of the ceramic coating on the CCBDs that are unique to VAG as a group. Aside to one other that being AMG.

Sorry, but I have zero experience of the steel Discs on Porsche or any Mac car.....I am aware of the none OEM CCBDs that are available for LTs, along with the excellent value performance that they offer. How would this work if the car was to be resold through the Mac network, I presume that a set of OEM would have purchased? Maybe the thing to do is put the OEM ones in a box on day one and just fit the aftermarket ones.

Over the above time frame my 91RS Has cost less than 9K GBP, to run. This to include tyres, Pads, Oil and brake fluid Changes, and though not required for warranty purpose post inspections, but like to keep safe..

If I had done the same about of events in my LT based on usage over a couple of events the cost would have been a whole lot more. Though I agree that the after market discs would help reduce this..

I know a bit about the 2RS, not expecting this be more than my 91RS from a on track cost prospective.

Again, in my original post I was comparing the 570 to the Turbo S. No one is trying to argue that the 991 GT3 RS is not a better car than the 570. I was comparing the Turbo S to the 570GT.

Sound alone would be a deal breaker for me.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success