Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017 | 07:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastmd
Just got the specs at the reveal. This car is a game changer. It will take a lot for Porsche/Ferrari to compete with this car.
Which specs most surprised you. I feel pretty sure the hp is revealed by the model number and it will have the usual big torque number. Is there anything you can share?
Old 02-15-2017 | 08:03 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GrantG
Which specs most surprised you. I feel pretty sure the hp is revealed by the model number and it will have the usual big torque number. Is there anything you can share?
Are you suggesting 720 hp?
Old 02-15-2017 | 08:19 PM
laranja
Pro

McLaren numbers are metric hp (PS)

720PS = 710HP
Old 02-15-2017 | 08:24 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Car is stunning, more like a Pagani and will probably be pretty close on to one on performance. Right specs up - and weight down.
Old 02-15-2017 | 08:52 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Just got the specs at the reveal. This car is a game changer. It will take a lot for Porsche/Ferrari to compete with this car.
Good for consumers!
Old 02-15-2017 | 09:43 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
The weight, hp, torque, and more importantly the 1/4 mile time. As always there is more on tap. Lamborghini should just throw in the towel. If Porsche dealers try to play games with the GT2 RS, it would be dumb not to buy the 720s. They added a special track function which looks like it will be a blast for all the Chris Harris wannabes.

I do think the 720 will be better than the GT2 RS anyway.

Waiting for people to start chiming in about depreciation, but if you are buying at this level I hope you understand the difference between asset classes/commodities/investments and depreciating assets.
Old 02-15-2017 | 09:53 PM
Guest89
Drifting

The weight, hp, torque, and more importantly the 1/4 mile time. As always there is more on tap. Lamborghini should just throw in the towel. If Porsche dealers try to play games with the GT2 RS, it would be dumb not to buy the 720s. They added a special track function which looks like it will be a blast for all the Chris Harris wannabes.

Waiting for people to start chiming in about depreciation, but if you are buying at this level I hope you understand the difference between asset classes/commodities/investments and depreciating assets.
Performante will be faster than any street legal car around the Ring.
Old 02-15-2017 | 11:40 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Agree this sounds like a fantastic car, and I'm a bit underwhelmed about what I hear about the incremental power improvements and modest weight reduction of the GT2 RS over the 991.2 Turbo S.

However, historically with the GT2/GT2RS you could have your cake and eat it too, meaning you could own a fairly rare, fun and powerful RWD turbo car that would appreciate over time. Nice when those two things coincide as they have with previous GT2/GT2RS models.

The 720 sounds amazing, but once it's replacement comes out 2 years later, (as Woking can't ever not produce the next lighter and more powerful car right away), the 720 value will plummet. Still, I'd love to buy and drive a 720 for a year, if I could get one of the first batch of cars.

Last edited by Drifting; 02-16-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2017 | 02:40 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am in escrow on a 2nd mclaren store in case anyone in the sudden discovery mode wants to start a conversation on the 720S.

I have been trying to hold back the facts but NateOZ said it best- good bye to lots of other cars. This car will be hypercar fast.

And finally, special enough on the interior to make people think twice about getting a horsey on their fender for "curb appeal". This car is awesome.

And please guys before you comment on a speculative depreciation conversation (ad nauseum) understand that the 12C or 650S never had a waiting list like this car is already building up- BEFORE THE DATA CAME OUT!
McLaren's created a better strata now by having the 570S (great alternative to a daily driver combo car like a turbo or GT3) and 570GT (not a track car at all, more like an F12 in ethos)

Can't wait to drive it.
Old 02-16-2017 | 03:46 AM
easy888
Instructor

Whilst I'm still in the camp as a lover for anything Porsche, I have to agree that McLaren as a brand has my next purchase decision. It almost feels like the only dealer left without the usual dealership politics.
Old 02-16-2017 | 05:22 AM
RBH
Instructor

I'm sure it will be epic performance-wise, but the looks just doesn't do it for me to be honest.
Old 02-16-2017 | 06:56 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Originally Posted by Guest89
Performante will be faster than any street legal car around the Ring.
Imv, this will be like the SV all over again. Like WTF with the customer cars..
Old 02-16-2017 | 07:37 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Like you I was also very impressed at the launch. Massively so.

I know the MD well, have lot of respect for what he has achieved in such a short time. I Also agree that it is a game changer, albeit in its sector.

I am lucky to have an early car. Whilst I can see it being a problem for Ferrari and Lambo for that matter. I don't see it as competitor for Porsche. Aside from a different price point, Porsche own the track day sector.
Old 02-16-2017 | 09:13 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I am in escrow on a 2nd mclaren store in case anyone in the sudden discovery mode wants to start a conversation on the 720S.

I have been trying to hold back the facts but NateOZ said it best- good bye to lots of other cars. This car will be hypercar fast.

And finally, special enough on the interior to make people think twice about getting a horsey on their fender for "curb appeal". This car is awesome.

And please guys before you comment on a speculative depreciation conversation (ad nauseum) understand that the 12C or 650S never had a waiting list like this car is already building up- BEFORE THE DATA CAME OUT!
McLaren's created a better strata now by having the 570S (great alternative to a daily driver combo car like a turbo or GT3) and 570GT (not a track car at all, more like an F12 in ethos)

Can't wait to drive it.
Has McLaren announced when the spider version of the 720s will be released?
Old 02-16-2017 | 11:38 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Sounds like an epic car, but isn't it also going to be an epic price? Won't this slot in above the 675 and be in $400k+ territory, or do I have my McLaren hierarchy wrong?

Quick Reply: McLaren Success