Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017 | 12:22 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nizer
interested in comments from Macca experts on this build. anyplace online to view MSRP/Option prices? Thx.
By no means an expert but may I suggest you also add the Stealth package which paints the exhaust tips, wing uprights and outer trim above the windows black. I think it just ties it all together nicely I have seen Saros in person and it's a great colour and looks good on the car.
Still waiting for my allocation and working on my build and need to pick my colour.
Here is the price listing for the US.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
720S_COUPE_Price_List_2017_US.pdf (272.7 KB, 229 views)
Old 12-19-2017 | 08:51 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for feedback. Probably stay on the sidelines for now. Depreciation risk and cloak and dagger with pricing undermines what's otherwise a very appealing car.
Old 12-19-2017 | 09:02 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for feedback. Probably stay on the sidelines for now. Depreciation risk and cloak and dagger with pricing undermines what's otherwise a very appealing car.
Sorry what do you mean "cloak and dagger with pricing"? Are they trying to charge ADM?
Old 12-19-2017 | 09:06 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Sorry what do you mean "cloak and dagger with pricing"? Are they trying to charge ADM?
havent got that far in discussion to know. I just don't like walking into a car dealer uninformed and so far I've been unable to find any published info on option pricing, etc.
Old 12-19-2017 | 10:39 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by squid42
Any information on whether this is galvanic corrosion and if so what the aluminium was attached against?
Have not delved too deeply in the details yet, but supposedly there are threads about it on Macca life.

Geez, just when I start to get comfortable with this company, something else comes up to remind me they are still learning how to make road cars, while Lamborghini, Ferrari, & Porsche have decades of experience.
Old 12-19-2017 | 11:34 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

I read those posts on mclaren life, and yeah I think it’s a sign of a new production car company figuring things out but as I’ve posted before I’ve had issues with my p cars as well, new ones! so every production line seems to have some defects somewhere.

The depreciation was was my biggest concern, but someone gave me some perspective. The GT p cars are the only ones that seem to initially retain their values, the panameras and cayenne take huge hits. So it’s not really that different with mclaren. The only thing I learned is don’t buy one early on the model year the steep discounts come later...just like the panamera which I keep looking at...maybe in the fall..
Old 12-19-2017 | 06:51 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shark
Have not delved too deeply in the details yet, but supposedly there are threads about it on Macca life.

Geez, just when I start to get comfortable with this company, something else comes up to remind me they are still learning how to make road cars, while Lamborghini, Ferrari, & Porsche have decades of experience.
Well, given how complicated things are today I find the number of screwups in the recent McLarens to be surprisingly low.

Just think about it. All the electronics, all of which need software, which is a pain to program and test. All the electronics which you buy, customized, from companies that put software in a rather ... uncoordinated manner, especially if you are a small customer. They contract out the carbon fiber making, and I didn't hear about any problems. It is not quite trivial to get this right on the first try. Decades ago the competitors didn't have to bother with active suspensions, mindblowingly complex emission control, and navigation systems for that matter. Devices that pull doors closed, and all the other wizbizz that is semi-mechanic where you have to pick between electric power (sucks because of wiring, bus communication (software!), corrosion etc blah blah) and hydraulic power (sucks because of lines and pumps and evil fluids).

Case in point here, if you start out making a car from one single metal only (say, steel) you have such an easier time preventing corrosion than mixing different metals. Galvanic corrosion gets you every time. A lot of prevention of galvanic corrosion in modern cars is done by joining parts made from different metals with an electrically insulating layer of glue. You screw up even a little, they touch after some rocking and then the corrosion defense doesn't work out anymore.

Also, I had too much coffee...
Old 12-19-2017 | 07:02 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

havent got that far in discussion to know. I just don't like walking into a car dealer uninformed and so far I've been unable to find any published info on option pricing, etc.
I posted the US price listing in my response to you. Post #1636 in this thread.

Old 12-19-2017 | 07:24 PM
tasman
Race Car

Is frustrating to build on configurator with no prices available. Don't get that
Old 12-19-2017 | 09:05 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Conekilr
I posted the US price listing in my response to you. Post #1636 in this thread.

Conekilr: thanks so much. read your response but completely missed PDF because I was on iPhone.
Old 12-20-2017 | 01:34 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

My 720s driven by a pro at Thunderhill raceway in bypass configuration. He's never tracked a 720s before and posted this time on his fifth and final lap. This is a very serious time. Excuse the typos as it is from my instagram storeis.
Old 12-20-2017 | 04:59 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

^wow! That's 996 Cup Car driven by a pro time. (149 qualiy time)
Old 12-20-2017 | 08:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
^wow! That's 996 Cup Car driven by a pro time. (149 qualiy time)
hardly surprising given 90% more HP, active aero, and active suspension.
Old 12-20-2017 | 08:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
My 720s driven by a pro at Thunderhill raceway in bypass configuration. He's never tracked a 720s before and posted this time on his fifth and final lap. This is a very serious time. Excuse the typos as it is from my instagram storeis.
Andy is that you? (I mean.. Nady.. )
Old 12-20-2017 | 08:58 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Andy is that you? (I mean.. Nady.. )
yeah this is me posting but my coach's lap time .

Quick Reply: McLaren Success