Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 10:01 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

I spent ~300 miles in my 570GT today...what a car. I mean just amazing and like others have said each time you drive it its an event. For those of you trying to get a GT3 for the road I would really take a hard look at this. I have no idea how track worthy it is but the ride is so compliant, the steering is pretty amazing and the power delivery is pretty smooth. Coming from a 2017 C2S where I really wasn't enjoying the engine the 570GT is a huge step up.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Right in my backyard...
Good night ends bad... No need for that speed.. Especially intoxicated.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/16130/p...en-720s-driver
yup don’t play on 400 ........
Old 11-21-2017, 04:28 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,489 Posts

I saw a 570S Spider this morning. Gorgeous. As 'something different' from Porsche, McLaren really appeals to me.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Now we're talking....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...otorsport-push

Old 11-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I'm interested in getting a McLaren, and have read most of this thread. It would be mainly for fun road use, with occasional track use, while continuing to use Porsches as the main track cars. So a big question is: how fun is the car at sane road speeds?

Other concerns are as discussed in this thread: reliability issues, no dealers nearby, potentially expensive ownership cost (especially outside warranty), and attracting too much attention.

I can live with some depreciation, but not keen on taking a big hit, and am not psychologically ready to spend well over $200K on a single car, but it seems that depreciation will be limited on a McLaren purchased for around $200K or less, since these cars are unlikely to drop much below $150K even after several years.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:26 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,236 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm interested in getting a McLaren, and have read most of this thread. It would be mainly for fun road use, with occasional track use, while continuing to use Porsches as the main track cars. So a big question is: how fun is the car at sane road speeds?

Other concerns are as discussed in this thread: reliability issues, no dealers nearby, potentially expensive ownership cost (especially outside warranty), and attracting too much attention.

I can live with some depreciation, but not keen on taking a big hit, and am not psychologically ready to spend well over $200K on a single car, but it seems that depreciation will be limited on a McLaren purchased for around $200K or less, since these cars are unlikely to drop much below $150K even after several years.
I’ll be your huckleberry lol
Old 11-26-2017, 09:29 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
This has my attention but they can't limit the engine. Must be the same output in the road car so restricted fuel or boost regulations.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:51 PM
Gef3rd
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 12 Posts

Received an email from McLaren this morning. Looks like their new car will be unveiled December 10:

http://cars.mclaren.com/ultimate-ser...news_961080002
Old 11-26-2017, 11:16 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

I think CJ is probably the most reputable source on McLaren’s here but I just got back from a 600 mile road trip and loved every minute of it. It’s remarkably civil around town, then like guiding a missle on the highway if that’s what you want or you can drive it like a sedan. It’s very versatile and the speed is amazing, you don’t even realize your doing a 100mph it’s so smooth. The throttle and power build are both linear. It is easy to drive and comfortable as a road trip car.

ive already had some software issues p, my climate control system faulted, my tpms sensors were triggering and they had to reset them. All within the first few drives but honestly I also have a macan turbo and that thing developed a leak in the pdk tranny within the first 10k miles and my c2s had an engine leak in the first 1500 miles so they all have issues. I bought mine from Philly and they pick up and deliver within 200miles of them which you are already halfway between me and them.

The attention takes getting used to so I picked a neutral color to keep it to a minimum.

The depreciation is the toughest bullet to bite even at a significant discount it is what it is, I drove almost 1000 miles and i can’t imagine how much that cost me in depreciation. But it is a special car. It’s a great complement to any GT car in the garage.
Originally Posted by Manifold

Old 11-26-2017, 11:27 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

I do think the pdk is a better dual clutch system with better programming. The 570s System is automatic mode seems slower and never just right like it is in my RS. So I use the paddles a lot more than in my RS.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:31 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I think CJ is probably the most reputable source on McLaren’s here but I just got back from a 600 mile road trip and loved every minute of it. It’s remarkably civil around town, then like guiding a missle on the highway if that’s what you want or you can drive it like a sedan. It’s very versatile and the speed is amazing, you don’t even realize your doing a 100mph it’s so smooth. The throttle and power build are both linear. It is easy to drive and comfortable as a road trip car.

ive already had some software issues p, my climate control system faulted, my tpms sensors were triggering and they had to reset them. All within the first few drives but honestly I also have a macan turbo and that thing developed a leak in the pdk tranny within the first 10k miles and my c2s had an engine leak in the first 1500 miles so they all have issues. I bought mine from Philly and they pick up and deliver within 200miles of them which you are already halfway between me and them.

The attention takes getting used to so I picked a neutral color to keep it to a minimum.

The depreciation is the toughest bullet to bite even at a significant discount it is what it is, I drove almost 1000 miles and i can’t imagine how much that cost me in depreciation. But it is a special car. It’s a great complement to any GT car in the garage.
good points. Porsche has its gremlins as well, but not as many as mclaren. That alone shouldn’t keep you from buying a Mclaren unless you don’t live in a major city. Technical issues are far less annoying when its a 30min drive or less to the dealer.

The 570 may be the sweet spot in the lineup for less depreciation because it’s not so expensive to start with, and it truly serves dual purposes as a very comfy sedan, vs a track/road weapon depending on the settings.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-27-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:28 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. Not sure I'd ever get used to the attention, and definitely don't want it - I kind of like orange, but maybe that's out.

Bummer on your reliability issues, but good to know that Philly will pick up and deliver. They actually have two nice examples of the 570S, asking price in low 170s. I can live with that price, and I anticipate that the value wouldn't drop much below 150 even after years of use and miles.

I do think the pdk is a better dual clutch system with better programming. The 570s System is automatic mode seems slower and never just right like it is in my RS. So I use the paddles a lot more than in my RS.
With the GT3, I always drive it in manual mode, unless I'm just puttering along, in which case sedate auto shifting is fine.

Originally Posted by Drifting
good points. Porsche has its gremlins as well, but not as many as mclaren. That alone shouldn’t keep you from buying a Mclaren unless you don’t live in a major city. Technical issues are far less annoying when its a 30min drive or less to the dealer.

The 570 may be the sweet spot in the lineup for less depreciation because it’s not so expensive to start with, and truly serving dual purposes as a very comfy sedan, vs a middle depending on the settings.
My Porsches have all been quite reliable. Likewise for Mercedes sedans. BMWs had a lot of issues when they started getting old.

Agreed on the depreciation aspect. Plenty of people can afford cars in the 100-150 range, smaller group in the 150-200 range, I would think much smaller group in the 200+ range. That alone will help keep the value of nice 'exotic' from dropping much below 150, whereas an exotic bought for 300 new is susceptible to a big depreciation hit if it's not a collectible. I'm not too worried about depreciation on a McLaren bought in the 150-200 range. McLaren is definitely starting to encroach on Porsche territory ...
Old 11-27-2017, 12:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,741 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Regarding 570S reliability,

While it won't make the car anymore reliable, at least the new McLaren parts factory just opened in Mechanicsburg, PA, which will allow dealers to get parts quicker without having to wait for the overseas journey from the UK
Old 11-27-2017, 02:20 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

whats the price of the december unveiled car?

Quick Reply: McLaren Success