Sponsored by:

Leaked Picture Of 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Now this is somewhat surprising. What is the ground clearance on the lowest part of the vanes? If Porsche marketed this car as a true driver's car, they should've realized this would happen quite a bit.
Not sure, but I'll try and take a pic later in the week.
I don't think they realised, as a good percentage of the early cars came with diffusers damaged coming off the transporter! We're all getting free replacements.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:48 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
This is 991.2 GT3 sans the Cup wing and FIA center brake light in back and tow hook up front.
What is interesting to me is the aero balance. The CUP wing is monsterous compared a stock wing, yet the front aero seems quite similar.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:51 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Keep in mind the diffuser under the car on the R.

Helps with downforce.

Attachment 1123206
Now imagine the huge difference that it makes whether:
  • Air flows down the 911 backside, pre-filling the space that this thing wants to blast through
  • Air gets catapulted away halfway down the backside, and the space between diffuser top and wing bottom is empty room to play with

I would love to see lift coefficients of the new sportdesign folding wing.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:59 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,477 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
This is 991.2 GT3 sans the Cup wing and FIA center brake light in back and tow hook up front.
Probably right, but I'd bet the nose is not quite as long.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:41 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

My diffuser also got damaged/scraped from the transport carrier. Not sure if it happened in Germany or over here in USA. At the VPC, it was noted by PORSCHE and when my car was on the lift, the diffuser was the first thing I inspected and sure enough looking from the rear, the left two fins were scraped. My mechanic told me more than likely, he can fit this damaged diffuser from my 911R (when the new arrives) and put it on my GT3RS. I have to wait this spring as both cars are in "hibernation" mode.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Not sure, but I'll try and take a pic later in the week.
I don't think they realised, as a good percentage of the early cars came with diffusers damaged coming off the transporter! We're all getting free replacements.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Michael Chang
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure who the OP is, but these are not leaked 991.2 facelift GT3 photos. I am the original creator of the images and am not affiliated with Porsche in any way.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
What is interesting to me is the aero balance. The CUP wing is monsterous compared a stock wing, yet the front aero seems quite similar.
Exactly! That was my first thought. How does this car with a stock looking front end, without canards, balance out that super wing?
Old 01-08-2017, 01:19 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Exactly! That was my first thought. How does this car with a stock looking front end, without canards, balance out that super wing?
My theory has always been that Porsche designs the aero for the "intended purpose" of the car. Basic car shape creates rear lift the faster you go. A sports car designed for the street as it's primary role does not need rear downforce to take a 120 mph corner, because it is not intended to be driven that way. A race car designed to be on a race track taking high speed corners benefits from rear downforce from the big wing. They don't need to be worried about coefficient of drag and MPG, etc, etc. Many on RL are always quick to point out that one would create a huge imbalance, but I think they are missing the point of the original design. A quick look at any race series would tell you the addition of rear downforce is needed in nearly every car design, if intended to be run on track, taking high speed corners. We are lucky in the 911 world. Comparing the street versions of the 911 to the race versions is pretty easy to do. (unlike a Camry owner and Nascar)
Old 01-08-2017, 01:35 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
My theory has always been that Porsche designs the aero for the "intended purpose" of the car. Basic car shape creates rear lift the faster you go. A sports car designed for the street as it's primary role does not need rear downforce to take a 120 mph corner, because it is not intended to be driven that way. A race car designed to be on a race track taking high speed corners benefits from rear downforce from the big wing. They don't need to be worried about coefficient of drag and MPG, etc, etc. Many on RL are always quick to point out that one would create a huge imbalance, but I think they are missing the point of the original design. A quick look at any race series would tell you the addition of rear downforce is needed in nearly every car design, if intended to be run on track, taking high speed corners. We are lucky in the 911 world. Comparing the street versions of the 911 to the race versions is pretty easy to do. (unlike a Camry owner and Nascar)
Yup, look at the Viper ACR. Unfair that it's compared to street cars built for track use. That is a pure race car, for the street.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Chang
Not sure who the OP is, but these are not leaked 991.2 facelift GT3 photos. I am the original creator of the images and am not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
So you're the trouble maker??

Yes, was quoted as fake 6 posts or so after the initial one.

Name:  photo922.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  396.6 KB
Old 01-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Michael Chang
AutoX

Originally Posted by STG
So you're the trouble maker??

Yes, was quoted as fake 6 posts or so after the initial one.

Attachment 1123937
Haha, my apologies, it certainly wasn't my intention to cause too much of a stir, though I must admit the images have gotten much farther than I anticipated.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Haha, my apologies, it certainly wasn't my intention to cause too much of a stir, though I must admit the images have gotten much farther than I anticipated.

Nice job and I find it pretty funny. Too many cleaning lady fantasies and wondering who will get first scoop.

I'm sure what you came up with is close.

Now put a small 4.0 on the rear wing. That will cause some drama and excitement.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Michael Chang
AutoX

Originally Posted by STG

Now put a small 4.0 on the rear wing. That will cause some drama and excitement.
Thanks hahah, I'll be sure to do so when I do the next round of images
Old 01-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I am the original creator of the images and am not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Nicely done!
Originally Posted by STG
It will create more if he puts 4.2 on there...
Old 01-08-2017, 02:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Nicely done!It will create more if he puts 4.2 on there...
Yes!!

Quick Reply: Leaked Picture Of 991.2 GT3