Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:03 AM
Seranad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The hp numbers are derived on an engine dyno (no ram-air effect). Any benefit from ram-air effect would only come at high speeds and would not be included in the power rating (so the RS theoretically has more than 500hp, but only at very high road speeds - the same engine would still be rated at 500hp in a car without ram-air, like the 911R).

The 991.2 GT3 will have some of this ram-air effect, as it has intake scoops below the rear window that would have somewhat increased the air pressure at high speeds.
+1
I think i remember AP saying 10 or 15 additional hp at full speed
Old 01-23-2017, 05:52 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
I'm losing interest in this thread......too many chefs in the kitchen

maybe we should only allow "VIPs" to post here from now on
+1 keep it ontopic guys or post in other threads!
Old 01-23-2017, 05:55 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What are you guys complaining about? This is the GT car rumour thread is it not?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:17 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Probably not obtainable for us mere mortals, I can imagine a craze far in excess of the recent 911R frenzy for a limited run of mid engine street RSRs.

Ryan
It might be so that the homologation car for RSR already exists:

According to Walliser:

How closely related is the RSR to the street versions?
"You have so called free volumes where you can change the car, like the width. But there are some shapes you have to keep so you see the exact rear wing is the 911 GT3 RS, this is the car which is the homologation basis and you see in the roof indent too. The RS is the technical basis for this car."

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1644491
Old 01-23-2017, 07:59 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt

According to Walliser:

"You have so called free volumes where you can change the car, like the width. But there are some shapes you have to keep so you see the exact rear wing is the 911 GT3 RS, this is the car which is the homologation basis and you see in the roof indent too. The RS is the technical basis for this car."

I do wonder if PAG managed to meet the 2500 produced in 12 months criteria with the 991.1 RS. That could partially explain the production numbers.

Ryan
Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Seafury
1st Gear

Hi guys,

i'm really interested by the new 991.2 GT3, i think it will be the last atmosphérique engine, and i would like to know if it's a good idea to change because currently i have the 991.1 and i'm really happy of this car. I know that is still early but don't you think that it will be better to make a reservation at Porsche to have one because we are not sure about the quantity.

Do you have any idea about the number of production for the 991.2 GT3 ?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

1 less
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

A bird in the hand?......
Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt

According to Walliser:

Originally Posted by reidry
I do wonder if PAG managed to meet the 2500 produced in 12 months criteria with the 991.1 RS. That could partially explain the production numbers.

Ryan
The new RSR does not require a waiver; no need for a mid-engined street car.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
The new RSR does not require a waiver; no need for a mid-engined street car.

That is correct.

This is how the rules are written, guessing Porsche had found a creative way to work with the rules.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2017, 05:49 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Rxpert:

Since you don't have kids yet I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having back seats. Kids likely aren't going to care much before age 3-4 and neither should you.

I'm on a list for a GT3 and have been thinking a lot lately about what I'm going to do without back seats for my kids aged 7 and 9. My son is a car nut already (no thanks to me and Forza) and enjoys coming with me on rides. He fits perfectly snug in the back seat and absolutely loves the experience.

Will not be able to resist if the new GT3 shares important characteristics of the R.

Did some research and determined that it is not illegal for children (7 and up and >=60lbs) to ride in front as long as airbag is off. Most, if not all, modern cars disable passenger airbag based on weight.

Far from ideal as it's proven to be safer for kids in the rear but for infrequent and short rides I feel perfectly comfortable letting the little guy ride in the front, as long as the seat belt fits him properly (if not I'll get a booster).

As for sound, I can understand but also believe that it's not easy to appreciate a great sound system in cars like this because of motor, wind and road noise. You'll have to weigh the trade off here but probably would quickly forget about it as you're rowing through the gears. Good luck!
Rxpert:

The counter point to this is with no seats for your kids, you will end up driving it less. Every time you go for a drive for a day trip, picnic, or even just running up to the shops, you will need to take the 'family' car if your Porsche doesn't have seats for the kids (ask me how I know this...). You will only get to drive your car solo, and with a new family you will find that this is not very often...

The flip side is you dont have kids yet, so maybe you have a year or two before this happens? Might be your last chance to buy a 'selfish' car for a while?

I am in a similar position to you, but will play the waiting game to see what Porsche announces in Geneva in beyond. I figure if none of the GT variants work out, I can always fall back on a GTS. Pretty good fallback position, and you are pretty much guaranteed of getting one if you want one.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

for me the summed up explination is:
991.1 GT3 RS is the base vehicle.
(i guess) 2.500+units were built within 12month. so they can change the position - based on the article.
all fine.

based on whoopsy screenshot:
90° would be not ok.
but 180° (which it was/had to be turned.?) is ok.

does someone has good pics of the RSR engine?
how different is it compared to the 991.1GT3RS?
in terms of packaging. (intake, pully drive, alternator,...)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Rxpert:

The counter point to this is with no seats for your kids, you will end up driving it less. Every time you go for a drive for a day trip, picnic, or even just running up to the shops, you will need to take the 'family' car if your Porsche doesn't have seats for the kids (ask me how I know this...). You will only get to drive your car solo, and with a new family you will find that this is not very often...

The flip side is you dont have kids yet, so maybe you have a year or two before this happens? Might be your last chance to buy a 'selfish' car for a while?

I am in a similar position to you, but will play the waiting game to see what Porsche announces in Geneva in beyond. I figure if none of the GT variants work out, I can always fall back on a GTS. Pretty good fallback position, and you are pretty much guaranteed of getting one if you want one.
Pretty much sums up my thought process. Would love a pair of back seats to increase the usage because I'm already afraid that I won't drive a P car much. Where I live the roads are covered with snow/salt for 5-6 months a year (it will be stored) and for the other 6 months it will be an evening/weekend car only (I could NEVER take this car to work as a DD) so really a GT3 makes little sense.

However on the other hand, I've been dreaming of this car since graduating college 9 years ago and if don't selfishly pull the trigger now, I probably never will
Old 01-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Plus you're right in that if the GT3 absolutely doesn't work, I can always trade it in for a GTS anyday of the week. I'll more than likely pull the trigger on the GT3 and see what happens. Can always change things up in the future, but I won't be able to go back in time and buy one the most brilliant NA cars with a 6 speed if I pass the 991.2 GT3 up.

Guess im really hoping for that GT3 Touring now so I can have my cake and eat it too!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Seranad
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rxpert
Pretty much sums up my thought process. Would love a pair of back seats to increase the usage because I'm already afraid that I won't drive a P car much. Where I live the roads are covered with snow/salt for 5-6 months a year (it will be stored) and for the other 6 months it will be an evening/weekend car only (I could NEVER take this car to work as a DD) so really a GT3 makes little sense.

However on the other hand, I've been dreaming of this car since graduating college 9 years ago and if don't selfishly pull the trigger now, I probably never will
I am with you, i missed the rear seats in my GT3, had my gf sitting in the back without seats once and she was not happy

i once inquired if you can have them installed but i think i remember it being 10.000 Euro/USD, dont quote me on the number but it was very expensive

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update