Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:37 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I found it disappointing EVO just regurgitated the news feed. I expect it of others but not them. Since they lost their best journos last few months my subscription is in jeopardy. Sad to say as I have every copy since inception in 1998!

There are a number of points in this communication I strongly question:

Manual? - yip ok nothing new

4.0L? - yip ok nothing new

9000 rpm? - Nah really? With a longer stroke thats some serious piston speeds. Would they really do that after backing off the 4.0R and 4.0RS engine speeds and making the 911 GT3R race car 8600? No. I dont believe this.

Improved valve train lubrication? - Yes of course if you compare to last GT3 engine of 2013 E series mark 1 MA175. Alot has changed with these engines since then enough for the marketing department to claim along with increased displacement "massively revised" but not really when you look at the last G engines for MA175 and MA176 (RS).

Cayman 4.0L GT4 RS? - Come on. The thing that keeps the Cayman price low is the production spec Carrera 3.8L engine. The only 4.0L NA engine in production is the motorsports derived MA176. So we really think they will use a detuned version of that engine in a Cayman GT4? Surely it would kill the price let alone the cooling issues with packaging. I call total BS on this. They will more likely use a 3.8L with X55 power upgrade kit IMO.

One thing Porsche will never do is bastardize their flagship GT product for a lesser model on performance parameters even if its all for marketing sake only IMO...

4.0L on the GT4 RS is complete BS. The last GT4 got the 3.8L Carrera S engine from the 991.1. 400hp translates to 385hp because they rate the engines at 2-3% less than what's true for the GT cars. The next GT4 is receiving the 3.8L from the 991.1 GTS which was rated at 430hp. Again, accounting for the 2-3% in stated HP compared to standard 911s, the next GT4 will have 415hp. The 991.2 GT3 is going to have 505HP but that is not set in stone. Porsche is aiming for a 30hp increase for the facelift but this will ultimately vary 25-35hp for both models. 510PS will translate to 503HP to be precise. Said it here first.

I bumped into the cleaning lady as she was leaving work.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:44 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Whaaat!!! I'm in Cape Town now too but leaving today for Paris!!! How unlikely!!! Have fun!!! Ageee this place is incredible!!

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm actually in South Africa in Capetown right by Killarney race track right now doing an f3 school, and it's plastered with GTS posters here. Gonna hang around tomorrow to see if I can scoop some news..

This place is gorgeous and dirt cheap at the moment.. I highly recommend a vacation here.

Last edited by <3mph; 01-18-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Sorry for the OT and excessive use of !!!!!!!!!!!s
Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
The last GT4 got the 3.8L Carrera S engine from the 991.1. 400hp translates to 385hp because they rate the engines at 2-3% less than what's true for the GT cars. The next GT4 is receiving the 3.8L from the 991.1 GTS which was rated at 430hp. Again, accounting for the 2-3% in stated HP compared to standard 911s, the next GT4 will have 415hp. The 991.2 GT3 is going to have 505HP but that is not set in stone. Porsche is aiming for a 30hp increase for the facelift but this will ultimately vary 25-35hp for both models. 510PS will translate to 503HP to be precise. Said it here first.
I agree that the bolded statement above makes the most sense, but where is Porsche getting this engine from? Like all car companies, they run a just-in-time production model, which means they won't have thousands of 3.8 9A1s from any of the naturally-aspired 991.1 cars, including the GTS (nor the GT4), just lying around 20 months from now when the new GT4s start rolling off the line. And they probably can't spin up the manufacturing for those engines given that it will have been a close to 20-month gap from the last NA 9A1 they made (coincidentally, for the 981 GT4) to the time they have to start production on the 982 GT4.

If Porsche is adding a naturally aspirated engine into the 982 GT4, then the only one they'll have available to manufacture will be the 4.0 for the 991.2 GT3 (who knows if they'll make a 991.2 GT3 RS). They can detune the hell out of it so that the GT4 performance falls in line below the 991.2 GT3 (and maybe the 991.1 GT3), but above the 718 GTS, which will likely be ferociously fast given how quick the 718 S currently is.

Anything can happen in the next 18-20 months, but I'm kinda buying the rumor...
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
I agree that the bolded statement above makes the most sense, but where is Porsche getting this engine from? Like all car companies, they run a just-in-time production model, which means they won't have thousands of 3.8 9A1s from any of the naturally-aspired 991.1 cars, including the GTS (nor the GT4), just lying around 20 months from now when the new GT4s start rolling off the line. And they probably can't spin up the manufacturing for those engines given that it will have been a close to 20-month gap from the last NA 9A1 they made (coincidentally, for the 981 GT4) to the time they have to start production on the 982 GT4.

If Porsche is adding a naturally aspirated engine into the 982 GT4, then the only one they'll have available to manufacture will be the 4.0 for the 991.2 GT3 (who knows if they'll make a 991.2 GT3 RS). They can detune the hell out of it so that the GT4 performance falls in line below the 991.2 GT3 (and maybe the 991.1 GT3), but above the 718 GTS, which will likely be ferociously fast given how quick the 718 S currently is.

Anything can happen in the next 18-20 months, but I'm kinda buying the rumor...
By law, all auto manufactures are required to have parts available for up to 15 years after production ends in a variety of countries. Porsche can build you a 991.1 3.8L GTS engine 15 years from now. If all the engines in the next GT4 had a high failure rate and 1000 of them needed to be replaced 15 years from now, Porsche by law would be required to supply you with an engine. If they weren't willing to a class action lawsuit would then be commenced and readily won by the consumer. There's no problem starting up the line and building a few thousand motors as the systems are already in place.

The engine is not the 4.0L from the GT3, it's too costly for this application, and the GT3 needs to stand out as the halo car. The generic 430hp 991.1 911 GTS engine is serving duty here.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:34 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
For the record, it looks like I was wrong!

It does make me curious though. Why would Porsche Australia have the wrong information? Deliberate misinformation or was there actually a change from the 3.8 to the 4.0?

There was never a change. I told you guys last March that AP and FSW told us in our face over lunch the incoming GT3 will be 4.0L with a new generation engine and manual option, we were shown drawings of the actual car back then too.

The 918 owners present there basically had this information for a whole year.

Dealers don't often get the best information, or they just don't pay attention to what's being told period. Who can blame them, they only see money coming in and Porsche wine and dine them for dealer meetings like they are royalties, even better treatment than we get with 918 owners events. A couple of them do attend 918 owners events and first thing they said was they had something much better with dealer meetings. Go figure.

When HQ personal was asked something they do not know the answer yet, instead of showing ignorance, they might surf the web to see if they can find something, and Rennlist is probably one of the top site they go to look for information.

Some rumours seem plausible, like doing 3.8 instead of 4.0 to 'protect' R buyers. Sounds reasonable enough to be an excuse. Or keeping the GT3 at 3.8 to leave room for a rumoured 4.0 GT3RS.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I find the argument that the GT4 RS needs to clobber the "regular" Cayman S and GTS to be compelling, so I think it's plausible that it will get the 4.0, PDK, suspension upgrades, etc. to make it not much slower than the 991.2 GT3, and maybe close to the pace of the 991.1 GT3. They can raise the price as needed, and I think it will sell without stealing a lot of sales from the GT3 and higher GT cars (would still be positioned a little below the GT3).
Old 01-18-2017, 10:36 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

By law, all auto manufactures are required to have parts available for up to 15 years after production ends in a variety of countries. Porsche can build you a 991.1 3.8L GTS engine 15 years from now. If all the engines in the next GT4 had a high failure rate and 1000 of them needed to be replaced 15 years from now, Porsche by law would be required to supply you with an engine. If they weren't willing to a class action lawsuit would then be commenced and readily won by the consumer. There's no problem starting up the line and building a few thousand motors as the systems are already in place.
Its the same argument, they would still be extending this 15 year deadline by another few years on a discontinued engine just to build the GT4. I dont see that happening.

Dont understand why people think a detuned 4.0 is not an option for the GT4?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:39 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Its the same argument, they would still be extending this 15 year deadline by another few years on a discontinued engine just to build the GT4. I dont see that happening.

Dont understand why people think a detuned 4.0 is not an option for the GT4?
No they're not, emissions standards and MPG standards don't allow that --fines will be too high as the years go on and progress through the '20s. The next chassis won't necessary be able to have the 991.1 engines placed as the packaging will be different. Be grateful they kept a naturally aspirated engine for us in the GT cars one more time.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Dealers don't often get the best information, or they just don't pay attention to what's being told period. Who can blame them, they only see money coming in and Porsche wine and dine them for dealer meetings like they are royalties, even better treatment than we get with 918 owners events. A couple of them do attend 918 owners events and first thing they said was they had something much better with dealer meetings. Go figure.

When HQ personal was asked something they do not know the answer yet, instead of showing ignorance, they might surf the web to see if they can find something, and Rennlist is probably one of the top site they go to look for information.

Some rumours seem plausible, like doing 3.8 instead of 4.0 to 'protect' R buyers. Sounds reasonable enough to be an excuse. Or keeping the GT3 at 3.8 to leave room for a rumoured 4.0 GT3RS.
I get that, but I know this dealer principle quite well. He is a genuine guy with no BS. When he told me that Porsche Australia had communicated to Australian dealers that it would be a 3.8, I absolutely believe that that is what he was told.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

No they're not, emissions standards and MPG standards don't allow that --fines will be too high as the years go on and progress through the '20s. The next chassis won't necessary be able to have the 991.1 engines placed as the packaging will be different. Be grateful they kept a naturally aspirated engine for us in the GT cars one more time.
I dont think you understand what I was saying. If they take the old engine and put it into the GT4 and sell the GT4 in the US, by what you are saying they will need to extend the 15 year deadline to keep parts / manufacturing capability for this old engine available to cover for the delivery of these new GT4's.

Why would they do this if they can just use a current engine like the 4.0?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:49 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

I dont think you understand what I was saying. If they take the old engine and put it into the GT4 and sell the GT4 in the US, by what you are saying they will need to extend the 15 year deadline to keep parts / manufacturing capability for this old engine available to cover for the delivery of these new GT4's.

Why would they do this if they can just use a current engine like the 4.0?
I think you're making this out to be a much bigger endeavour than it is. A call is sent to Zuffenhausen to manufacture a few thousand motors. No additional cost for research and development is needed. This is small potatoes. The equipment will sit in that factory 15 years after production ends and they can be called up at any point to build an engine if needed. Again, it's too expensive to place the new RSR motor in this application. The GT3 needs to stand out as the superior product with a cost that reflects that. If you're thinking that it will save Porsche money manufacturing the 4.0L RSR motor and placing it in the GT4, the answer is no it won't.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:54 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

I get that, but I know this dealer principle quite well. He is a genuine guy with no BS. When he told me that Porsche Australia had communicated to Australian dealers that it would be a 3.8, I absolutely believe that that is what he was told.

Guess there was a miscommunication somewhere in between.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:06 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Again, it's too expensive to place the new RSR motor in this application. The GT3 needs to stand out as the superior product with a cost that reflects that. If you're thinking that it will save Porsche money manufacturing the 4.0L RSR motor and placing it in the GT4, the answer is no it won't.
I counter your "no it won't" argument with an equally convincing position - "yes it will".
Old 01-18-2017, 11:17 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 80 Posts

Again, it's too expensive to place the new RSR motor in this application. The GT3 needs to stand out as the superior product with a cost that reflects that. If you're thinking that it will save Porsche money manufacturing the 4.0L RSR motor and placing it in the GT4, the answer is no it won't.
Can you explain that statement for me? If Porsche is looking to reduce development cost of the 4.0 engine through amortization, why wouldn't they put it in as many applications as possible?

If they're looking to keep costs down, limiting it to one car is counter to that.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:31 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

I counter your "no it won't" argument with an equally convincing position - "yes it will".
I think you should call the development team and tell them to place the RSR motor found in the $800,000 race car into the $80k GT4, let them know it won't cost much. Then call the engineering team and tell them instead of placing the 3.8L engine from the GTS which is almost identical to the Carrera S and requires little additional cost for research and development to place this RSR motor and spend a few million tweaking all the bugs out. They may give you a GT4 for free for this tip they overlooked.

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Can you explain that statement for me? If Porsche is looking to reduce development cost of the 4.0 engine through amortization, why wouldn't they put it in as many applications as possible?

If they're looking to keep costs down, limiting it to one car is counter to that.
The durability of the engine is much higher, the components have a higher degree of long term tolerance. Look up articles on the crankshaft comparing the GT3 and GT3 RS from the 991.1 to get a glimpse into some of the engineering involved. The cost and time to produce components increases.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update