991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
He doesn't get the concept.

It would be like charging an iPad. If a 2.4A charger is used, it would charge faster, but it will also take a 1A, 1.2A, 2A charger too, just slower.
It's not just me then, right??

FWIW, my original comment was a little tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure the Mission-E will blow the Tesla out of the water, but expect it to be priced accordingly. I'm not really buying that bit about it being placed below the Panamera in the lineup.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I'm sure the Mission-E will blow the Tesla out of the water, but expect it to be priced accordingly. I'm not really buying that bit about it being placed below the Panamera in the lineup.
Have you seen the Panamera prices? Plenty of room to make it less expensive than the top Pana models (top is $195k before options) and still bust my budget
Old 03-17-2017, 04:42 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

I don't understand this logic. The 800v would charge fast at any new charging station but still be compatible with the old ones.

Where do you think a Mission-E is going to charge up quickly? Will you not be able to plug them into any older charging stations? Will they not allow you to plug it into a 110v household outlet to charge overnight?
Useless to buy a Tesla 800v if they din t have a 800v network

my post a reply
can t be taken without the context but i can see bean ciunters are too busy to read posts
Old 03-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Blainestang
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I care. I have deposits down for .2 GT3, .2RS, and the Mission E

Mission E sounds impressive so far.
If you don't mind, what are the price and terms of your deposit on the Mission E? I've never put a deposit on a Porsche before and am waiting to hear more details from my local dealer and figured I'd compare.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Useless to buy a Tesla 800v if they din t have a 800v network
Bit of a chicken and egg situation isn't it??

You won't get a choice. If they start making them 800v they'll be 800v.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry, but the Mission E is going to be a ridiculous waste of money. 4 seats? Really? It's a sedan for crying out loud.

And we all already know it's going to be ridiculously expensive and under deliver like other pedestrian P-cars. Sorry but not a fan of pedestrian p-cars. It does at least look cool, I'll give it that.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Sorry, but the Mission E is going to be a ridiculous waste of money. 4 seats? Really? It's a sedan for crying out loud.

And we all already know it's going to be ridiculously expensive and under deliver like other pedestrian P-cars. Sorry but not a fan of pedestrian p-cars. It does at least look cool, I'll give it that.
Don't write it off. I was blown away by the BWM i3. They made an ugly strange little practical car and somehow it is fast and tight. Crazy torque, but a tiny motor...because it weighs hardly anything. I thought to myself "wow what if someone takes this and makes a proper sports car..."

With a much higher price and a goal of performance, Porsche should be able to knock it out of the park. All the weight inches from the ground, endless torque, whatever skin they want to dream up. I think it will be great.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by k997

I'm an unabashed Tesla hater, but the Mission E looks like it could be an awesome machine. Aside from looking fantastic and apparently having great performance, it'll likely have a fantastic interior and handle well, two things the Model S fails at miserably. Going back and forth between the inside of a Panamera GTS and a Model S, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why anyone would choose the Tesla except for the 'hey look at me' factor. If the Mission E delivers on the performance/handling side, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Though I too think it's going to be far too expensive for what it is in the end. Just like the Tesla.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:13 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Blainestang
If you don't mind, what are the price and terms of your deposit on the Mission E? I've never put a deposit on a Porsche before and am waiting to hear more details from my local dealer and figured I'd compare.
Just have a 1000 refundable deposit down for all three cars. I don't know what the price of the Mission E will be.

Reason for deposit is to get an early GT3, RS, and even Mission E type. If I get an early one, but decide to sell, I shouldn't lose much.

SamfromTx bought one of the first BMW i8s, then sold it a month or two later for 20,000 more than he paid for it.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just have a 1000 refundable deposit down for all three cars. I don't know what the price of the Mission E will be.

Reason for deposit is to get an early GT3, RS, and even Mission E type. If I get an early one, but decide to sell, I shouldn't lose much.

SamfromTx bought one of the first BMW i8s, then sold it a month or two later for 20,000 more than he paid for it.
Good memory Made money on the new Ford Raptor too ($5K). Outside of that, it's always been a lose lose situation. Have deposit on mission E as well (made it 1-2 years ago, second on the "list").
Old 03-17-2017, 11:30 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Bit of a chicken and egg situation isn't it??

You won't get a choice. If they start making them 800v they'll be 800v.
Thus they ll be slower on recharging for long time
Old 03-18-2017, 12:01 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll wait it out. Never been much of a beta tester. Next car for wife might be a EV with a small back up gas engine.
Plug in hybrid with range for most normal DD would be perfect. Going on a road trip on the weekend. 4cyl 150hp should do the trick.
Volvo is pretty close I think, new 5 series is coming out with this tech.
I'll do full electric when I can charge in as many places as I can stop for gas. I hate waiting. Never been very patient.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I'll wait it out. Never been much of a beta tester. Next car for wife might be a EV with a small back up gas engine.
Plug in hybrid with range for most normal DD would be perfect. Going on a road trip on the weekend. 4cyl 150hp should do the trick.
Volvo is pretty close I think, new 5 series is coming out with this tech.
I'll do full electric when I can charge in as many places as I can stop for gas. I hate waiting. Never been very patient.
The thing is, not a single hybrid is remotely fun to drive. They all suck as drivers cars, because they have to compromise so much to fit two different drive trains in the car.

At least with a full electric car, you can have some fun with insane acceleration, And with the Tesla model S, you get a 315 mile range which is better than my GT3.

The Model S convinced me that an electric car could be fun to drive (because clearly all hybrids suck) , and it convinced Porsche as well.

So if you mate the instant acceleration of a Tesla with the suspension and handling of Porsche and the 15 min charge of Porsches 800v system, the Mission E will be a hell of a car.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

The thing is, not a single hybrid is remotely fun to drive. They all suck as drivers cars, because they have to compromise so much to fit two different drive trains in the car.
I think alot of P1 and LaFerrari owners would disagree with that.

I'm just a pleb, so have no idea personally.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:25 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Something I didn't expect before we added an electric car was how nice it was to never have to worry about "filling up". Wait what? Isn't range anxiety a thing with electric cars? I know I didn't expect it, but since you just put it on the charger at home, it always has a full (if small) "tank" of gas. My wife literally hasn't had to pump gas in 2 years. I've actually felt embarrassed the odd time when we needed to go somewhere but my car needed gas, which meant needing to find a gas station along the way, fill up, etc. Easily adds 15 minutes.

I think having an electric car for local use is great. If you need to go further, stick with gas. The i3 with the extra engine for charging is dumb--it costs more, and adds weight, so it ends up being slower and having less pure electric range than the full electric one.

Teslas are ok, but they are big and heavy. The i3 has the smallest turning radius I've ever seen. Really a great local runabout car. No idea why they made it look so dumb. The way it's built they could have made it look like anything--how about a Golf R? A normal/good looking 4 door hatchback with the guts of the i3 would be amazing.

On topic: I'm totally interested in a Mission-E for a daily driver.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update