Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017 | 02:52 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Thanks whoopsy its clear and good information
Old 03-18-2017 | 02:55 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

If Whoospy is right, and seems to have been on the money in the past this means 991RS is the last 991RS and the last GT3RS.

Last of the Mohicans. Pretty cool. Everybody's gonna want one even more.
Old 03-18-2017 | 02:58 PM
Metzeger
Pro

but do not see Porsche finish the GT3 line ( NA ) with the GT3 and not a RS in 4.0 or 4.2 limited...its my point of view
Old 03-18-2017 | 03:09 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

If Porsche goes to turbo engines for the race cars, that doesn't mean the GT3RS is done. The race cars will still be GT3 spec. I fully expect there would be a new GT3 in the next generation car, even if it's got a turbo.

The last one may very well be the last naturally aspirated GT3RS, but I wouldn't expect them to retire the badge. Historically the GT2 has been turbo and the GT3 naturally aspirated but with the whole lineup going turbo, it only makes sense that the GT3 would do the same eventually. They're holding out for the moment, but it can't last.
Old 03-18-2017 | 04:16 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Of course the GT3 badge is not going to retire for good, it will come back in the future. Porsche dug up a 50 year old 911R badge too not too long ago.

The GT3, GT2 badge were initially named after their respective racing classes, so did the GT1 badge.

With time those 2 name plates has become synonymous with NA and turbo engines respectively for their GT road car lines.

Will Porsche change their long established car naming protocols to reflect their new racing cars' classes? i.e. turning a GT3 into a turbo engine car if they indeed go turbo for the race car? That's the million dollar question isn't it?

They could theoretically do that, and with the incoming GT2RS sitting at around 650HP or so, there is a good separation between the NA engine's 500HP and the GT2RS's 650HP to slot in the new car.

But there lies the problem, will the public accept a GT3RS AND a GT2RS that are both turbo-ed? Outside of the HP rating, what's the difference? Especially when both are of the 991 generation?

Alternatively, Porsche could migrate the GT3RS to turbo in the 992 generation and start fresh that way.

So now we come to the 64mil dollar question, is the .1 GT3RS last of the NA GT3RS? Likely there will be a Motorsport product for the proper send off on the 991 generation, but will that car be a mass produce .2 GT3RS? Or perhaps something special and limited?

Regardless, the .1 GT3RS is just about the finest Porsche 911 to be made and on a track, there is no equal.
Old 03-18-2017 | 04:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Something I didn't expect before we added an electric car was how nice it was to never have to worry about "filling up". Wait what? Isn't range anxiety a thing with electric cars? I know I didn't expect it, but since you just put it on the charger at home, it always has a full (if small) "tank" of gas. My wife literally hasn't had to pump gas in 2 years. I've actually felt embarrassed the odd time when we needed to go somewhere but my car needed gas, which meant needing to find a gas station along the way, fill up, etc. Easily adds 15 minutes.

I think having an electric car for local use is great. If you need to go further, stick with gas. The i3 with the extra engine for charging is dumb--it costs more, and adds weight, so it ends up being slower and having less pure electric range than the full electric one.

Teslas are ok, but they are big and heavy. The i3 has the smallest turning radius I've ever seen. Really a great local runabout car. No idea why they made it look so dumb. The way it's built they could have made it look like anything--how about a Golf R? A normal/good looking 4 door hatchback with the guts of the i3 would be amazing.

On topic: I'm totally interested in a Mission-E for a daily driver.
Sounds like you need to swap the i3 for a Golf E
Old 03-18-2017 | 04:29 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Of course the GT3 badge is not going to retire for good, it will come back in the future. Porsche dug up a 50 year old 911R badge too not too long ago.

The GT3, GT2 badge were initially named after their respective racing classes, so did the GT1 badge.

With time those 2 name plates has become synonymous with NA and turbo engines respectively for their GT road car lines.

Will Porsche change their long established car naming protocols to reflect their new racing cars' classes? i.e. turning a GT3 into a turbo engine car if they indeed go turbo for the race car? That's the million dollar question isn't it?

They could theoretically do that, and with the incoming GT2RS sitting at around 650HP or so, there is a good separation between the NA engine's 500HP and the GT2RS's 650HP to slot in the new car.

But there lies the problem, will the public accept a GT3RS AND a GT2RS that are both turbo-ed? Outside of the HP rating, what's the difference? Especially when both are of the 991 generation?

Alternatively, Porsche could migrate the GT3RS to turbo in the 992 generation and start fresh that way.

So now we come to the 64mil dollar question, is the .1 GT3RS last of the NA GT3RS? Likely there will be a Motorsport product for the proper send off on the 991 generation, but will that car be a mass produce .2 GT3RS? Or perhaps something special and limited?

Regardless, the .1 GT3RS is just about the finest Porsche 911 to be made and on a track, there is no equal.

Nick, word is the .2GT3 beats the .1RS around the Ring.
Old 03-18-2017 | 04:32 PM
Metzeger
Pro

completely agree with you I think Porsche finish the GT line in NA motors with a special model limited...After he goes to turbo motors for sure on GT3 on "992" platform.
Old 03-18-2017 | 04:37 PM
Seranad
Instructor

there is going to be a .2GT3RS

first mules will appear in summer
Old 03-18-2017 | 04:39 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Originally Posted by Seranad

what you sources? reliable? thanks
Old 03-18-2017 | 04:39 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick
[/B]

I feel like the statement AP made towards R owners are directly applicable to RS owners.
Old 03-18-2017 | 04:40 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nick
[/B]
I shouldn't speak for Nick but I suspect that lap time is not the thing with the 991GT3 RS - it is how the RS makes the lap time.
Old 03-18-2017 | 04:47 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Seranad

Always something new and better!
Old 03-18-2017 | 05:17 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Seems pretty sure that GT2RS will be seen in the summer (at Goodwood)
Old 03-18-2017 | 05:51 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

What would you guys think of a future where the GT3 has a turbo and a GT2 has 918-style electric systems in it?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update