991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My GT3 engine just blew up

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
Can Porsche determine though computer data if the break in procedures were followed to the manual (<4200 RPMs for 2000 miles)? This car has a roll cage, which was not available in the US. Does the possibility exist that Porsche will say this was an improperly converted racing car and not a weekend DE car?
Roll bar, harnesses, etc. turn it into a safer DE car, not a race car, and they don't compromise any aspect of the car covered by warranty.

Regarding break in, it's a recommendation, not a requirement. I believe Rich followed the recommended break in (and I did as well).
Old 11-21-2016, 09:44 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the bigger question is why these engines are now starting to have a catastrophic failure. Top end wear is one thing, ka-boom is another. One is not dangerous, one could kill a guy on track. Are we seeing this because excess metal is now entering parts of the engine (crank bearings), and now leading us to rods being thrown? If this is the case, then Porsche needs to recall the damn engine and put a "stop" on driving them until it is figured out. Imagine doing over 150 mph on the track and having your engine blow, spew oil on your rear tires, sending you into the wall. Come on Porsche
Old 11-21-2016, 09:45 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deleted
Old 11-21-2016, 10:22 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh no!! I just saw this. Very sorry Rich
Old 11-21-2016, 10:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,788 Likes on 5,145 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
I think the bigger question is why these engines are now starting to have a catastrophic failure. Top end wear is one thing, ka-boom is another. One is not dangerous, one could kill a guy on track. Are we seeing this because excess metal is now entering parts of the engine (crank bearings), and now leading us to rods being thrown? If this is the case, then Porsche needs to recall the damn engine and put a "stop" on driving them until it is figured out. Imagine doing over 150 mph on the track and having your engine blow, spew oil on your rear tires, sending you into the wall. Come on Porsche
It is too early to say that this particular engine failure (i.e., "blew up") is the same or related to the other thread we have current going on documenting, as you say, the top end wear on many of the E and some of the F engines.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Porsche should replace the car under warranty.

What concerns me is the other 991 GT3s out there that could have this happen outside of warranty....
Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm sorry to see this. I may have to put my GT3 plans on hold.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Ignoring the cost to replace all the damage, its a long term issue. all the cars with a "possible" defect could really hurt someone. This is not racing, its goofing off on a gentlemen's track day. Even if porsche does not fix the car, the problem still remains. Years ago, the AMA ( I raced AMA, WERA CCs supersport, sb and ss) anyways, dunlop had delaminating tire issues with d204's it was not every tire, but was an issue with top riders having a tire not able to handle the major increase in HP in super bikes. A lot of the riders jumped to pirelli or stones etc etc. I guess the real question is, how many failures create a danger and PCA limit the cars, dunlop took tires off the racks, changed the construction of the tires and fixed the problem. Not worth the gamble. I hope they fix your car and fix everyones if there is a true long term issue.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,501 Posts

So what do the lawyers in the forum think about Porsche's liability with respect to the safety aspect?

Some E engines threw rods and caused fires, so Porsche replaced all those engines. Now some F engines are known to have done the same. Seems to be a known problem with an excessive failure rate.

Combine that with Porsche providing warranty for high-speed track use, and it sounds like there's a known and excessive risk which Porsche can and should address. Does that not result in culpability for Porsche if they fail to address the problem?

Sounds to me like they need to recall and replace all F engines, and do it now.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:09 AM
Humberto Roca
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh god, glad you are ok and Porsche resolves this.

Ps. This gets me a bit nervous tbh
Old 11-22-2016, 01:41 AM
Match-Lave
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
I was at TWS this weekend having a ball when I read the start of this thread - the black cloud of nerves suddenly returned- I still went out and ran it at 150 mph down the straigh, which feeds my adrenaline craving like nothing else- I Don't want to add a blown engine and subsequent fire from a blown engine to occur at that speed. It would suck to have more than the tire blow-out fear at that speed.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:23 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
Thanks for all the kind words of support. I'm trying to keep this in perspective. I'm safe, I didn't affect any other cars, and it could have been much worse. But, this is the third major issue I've had with the car and any one of them could have resulted in some pretty bad outcomes. It's certainly getting harder to keep faith in the brand. They really need to step up to make this good since it appears the track insurance isn't going to cover this type of incident. I'm off to drink some good wine and not worry about it until I hear an initial response from Porsche.
Rich- I'm feelin for you bud. I know all the Smokies and Rennlisters are. My gut tells me Porsche will do the right thing under warranty. And like you so elequantly stated....don't worry about it until there's something to worry about. One step at a time. Great attitude bud.
Best wishes.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:42 AM
GT3RS
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear your news, hopefully it will be resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:57 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
So what do the lawyers in the forum think about Porsche's liability with respect to the safety aspect?

Some E engines threw rods and caused fires, so Porsche replaced all those engines. Now some F engines are known to have done the same. Seems to be a known problem with an excessive failure rate.

Combine that with Porsche providing warranty for high-speed track use, and it sounds like there's a known and excessive risk which Porsche can and should address. Does that not result in culpability for Porsche if they fail to address the problem?

Sounds to me like they need to recall and replace all F engines, and do it now.
Damage with no injury. Warranty claim.

Add injury now it's also product liability claim dictated by your states law on the issue.

The failures that have occurred, are they all or most the same for the same reason? Were the failure(s) design or manufacturing related as opposed to owner related or caused? This needs to be nailed down first. Seems pretty much confined to the E & Fs.

Trakcar been flogging an RS for pretty much it's entire life and so have a number of others without any issue. I know multiple GT3 owners doing the same without issues.

I don't know Rich but by all account he knows what he's doing and cared for the car by the book. Need an autopsy on the failure and hopefully we have the post mortums on the others to compare.

Not sure but I would bet Porsche has this info and if there is a commonality to the failures they should and IMHO better step up now for safety reasons.

I sure as heck don't know. It could be that after X # of hours, just like the Cups there should be a top end rebuild. While DEs are not "racing" they do expose the cars to extreme use and stresses way beyond normal or even aggressive street use.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:38 AM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Surely this will be covered. If warranty won't cover the engines catching fire then there is no good reason to trust a GT car at the track. That's what they marketed the damn thing to do.

Quick Reply: My GT3 engine just blew up