Listen to Mooty, he's no dummy.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:57 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
sell gt3 buy GTR, haha
sell gt3 buy gt3RS, yes
x2 (only go RS if a change is needed - for whatever reason...)

did you have driven already a GTR for some time? what do you feel - especially as soon driving your GT3 after it again?
usually a testdrive gives all the answers and don´t lie.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:04 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This just means ... Macans and Cayenne's are generally trouble-free.
I suggest you spend some time reading about THEIR troubles. I was going to buy a Cayenne but was put off by some of the issues. In reality, people complain about problems 100 times more than people who praise no problems.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:49 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I suggest you spend some time reading about THEIR troubles. I was going to buy a Cayenne but was put off by some of the issues. In reality, people complain about problems 100 times more than people who praise no problems.
That is very true.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:03 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't that the truth.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Omi
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is true

Originally Posted by bronson7
^^^Please, make your comparison's. I'm sure many here would be interested.
Comparing the 12/13/14 GT-R and 991 GT3, both “stock”:

In overall performance they are close. The GT-R has an advantage at lower speeds and in poor conditions. The GT3 has an advantage at speed. Generally speaking the GT3 should be able to do better lap times if conditions are good.

In power they are close. The GT-R makes better mid range power but you still need to rev it to get the most out of it. The GT3 only makes its power up top. The GT-R has turbo lag but has its strong mid range and one less gear. The GT3 has less torque but has a faster transmission and very fast response.

The GT-R steering feels more analog than the GT3. You feel more in the GT-R and the steering wheel talks a lot. The GT3 is more digital. You still feel the road but it is more refined.

The GT3 and GT-R have very different handling traits. At low speeds the GT-R feels more aggressive than the GT3. It feels violently fast. But as the driving intensity increases this changes and the GT3 feels more aggressive and still athletically refined. On the open road at high speed the GT-R feels more stable. Ride quality between the two is similar but the GT3 is smoother.

Both accelerate similarly but have very different kinds of engines. The engine of the GT-R does not feel special like the GT3 engine. It does not sound as nice inside. Outside is not a contest, the GT3 sounds much better as it somehow sounds modern, historic and beautiful all in one. In pedigree and reliability they are not comparable; the GT-R engine is a hand built race engine winning many races. The GT3 engine is not. The GT-R engine is more reliable.

Both can stop extremely well but the the GT3's brakes have a definite advantage in intense driving. PCCB feel is much better and consistency is much better than the GT-R. Strangely the GT-R brakes work a lot better than the PCCB in inclement weather.

Exterior is subjective.

The interior of the GT-R is very utility oriented. It is very user friendly. You can even figure it out at high speed. The GT3 is not hard to use but not as easy. The GT3 is quieter. The GT3 is more elegant and the materials are better. The GT3 feels like a nicer place to be. The GT3 has better outward visibility. The GT-R has a better view of the road.

In public the GT-R can be taken to more places than the GT3 for a number of reasons such as practicality (eg ride height) and safety. For many of the same reasons the GT3 fits in better in some environments such as in wealthy areas where it gets a lot more respect and recognition. Speaking of recognition, the GT-R appeals to a very different demographic that is generally younger and more technical. The GT3 appeals to a broad demographic as well but the difference is mostly seen among older individuals and women. There are exceptions on both ends though. I have been in uncomfortable situations with the GT-R and women. On the other hand I have seen very funny reactions from children and teens to the GT3.

The total driving experiences are very different. The GT3 is easier to drive and the GT-R is easier to drive fast. The GT3 is not difficult to drive fast but as the driving gets more intense or as conditions deteriorate you have to be more careful. That does not mean the GT-R does not bite, it will.

Overall I enjoy both. The GT3 is great for its classic looks, memorable sound track, and more traditional, directly linear driving experience that is both challenging and rewarding. The GT-R on the other hand is great for its performance repertoire and the ease with which it handles many miles of real world usage in a modern and practical fashion that can both impress and scare at the same time.

Edit:
This does not apply to newer GT-Rs. Newer GT-Rs are more GT oriented and not as R oriented

Last edited by Omi; 08-24-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Additional clarification and editing
Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Omi
This is trueComparing the 12/13/14 GT-R and 991 GT3, both “stock”:

In overall performance they are close. The GT-R has an advantage at lower speeds and in poor conditions. The GT3 has an advantage at speed. Generally speaking the GT3 should be able to do better lap times if conditions are good.

In power they are close. The GT-R makes better mid range power but you still need to rev it to get the most out of it. The GT3 only makes its power up top. The GT-R has turbo lag but has its strong mid range and one less gear. The GT3 has less torque but has a faster transmission and very fast response.

The GT-R steering feels more analog than the GT3. You feel more in the GT-R and the steering wheel talks a lot. The GT3 is more digital. You still feel the road but it is more refined.

The GT3 and GT-R have very different handling traits. At low speeds the GT-R feels more aggressive than the GT3. It feels violently fast. But as the driving intensity increases this changes and the GT3 feels more aggressive and still athletically refined. On the open road at high speed the GT-R feels more stable. Ride quality between the two is similar but the GT3 is smoother.

Both accelerate similarly but have very different kinds of engines. The engine of the GT-R does not feel special like the GT3 engine. It does not sound as nice inside. Outside is not a contest, the GT3 sounds much better as it somehow sounds modern, historic and beautiful all in one. In pedigree and reliability they are not comparable; the GT-R engine is a hand built race engine winning many races. The GT3 engine is not. The GT-R engine is more reliable.

Both can stop extremely well but the the GT3's brakes have a definite advantage in intense driving. PCCB feel is much better and consistency is much better than the GT-R. Strangely the GT-R brakes work a lot better than the PCCB in inclement weather.

Exterior is subjective.

The interior of the GT-R is very utility oriented. It is very user friendly. You can even figure it out at high speed. The GT3 is not hard to use but not as easy. The GT3 is quieter. The GT3 is more elegant and the materials are better. The GT3 feels like a nicer place to be. The GT3 has better outward visibility. The GT-R has a better view of the road.

In public the GT-R can be taken to more places than the GT3 for a number of reasons such as practicality (eg ride height) and safety. For many of the same reasons the GT3 fits in better in some environments such as in wealthy areas where it gets a lot more respect and recognition. Speaking of recognition, the GT-R appeals to a very different demographic that is generally younger and more technical. The GT3 appeals to a broad demographic as well but the difference is mostly seen among older individuals and women. There are exceptions on both ends though. I have been in uncomfortable situations with the GT-R and women. On the other hand I have seen very funny reactions from children and teens to the GT3.

The total driving experiences are very different. The GT3 is easier to drive and the GT-R is easier to drive fast. The GT3 is not difficult to drive fast but as the driving gets more intense or as conditions deteriorate you have to be more careful. That does not mean the GT-R does not bite, it will.

Overall the GT3 is great for its classic looks, memorable sound track, and more traditional, directly linear driving experience that is both challenging and rewarding. The GT-R on the other hand is great for its performance repertoire and the ease with which it handles many miles of real world usage in a modern and practical fashion that can both impress and scare at the same time.
Very nicely written. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Omi
This is true

Exterior is subjective.

Overall I enjoy both. The GT3 is great for its classic looks, memorable sound track, and more traditional, directly linear driving experience that is both challenging and rewarding. The GT-R on the other hand is great for its performance repertoire and the ease with which it handles many miles of real world usage in a modern and practical fashion that can both impress and scare at the same time.

Edit:
This does not apply to newer GT-Rs. Newer GT-Rs are more GT oriented and not as R oriented
Tell us about the uncomfortable situations with the GT-R and women.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:59 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Tell us about the uncomfortable situations with the GT-R and women.
I drove a GT-R once, as I approached Chinatown these women /girls ran out, they were wearing school girl outfits, little white socks, heels and carried Hello Kitty backpacks, they shouted "Godzilla" when I stopped they crowded around the car and said "hey mister wanna see some anime?" I got kinda nervous and took off when their boyfriends showed up in some honda civics that had neon lights under them. I traded the GT-R in on a GT3, they stopped harassing me and now these guys who drive miatas with roll cages keep blowing me kisses…I gotta tint my windows
Old 08-25-2016, 12:14 AM
MJK-PurpleRS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No comparison - GT3 ,unless your into Nissan-Datsun-Infinity,whatever
Old 08-25-2016, 12:17 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
I drove a GT-R once, as I approached Chinatown these women /girls ran out, they were wearing school girl outfits, little white socks, heels and carried Hello Kitty backpacks, they shouted "Godzilla" when I stopped they crowded around the car and said "hey mister wanna see some anime?" I got kinda nervous and took off when their boyfriends showed up in some honda civics that had neon lights under them. I traded the GT-R in on a GT3, they stopped harassing me and now these guys who drive miatas with roll cages keep blowing me kisses…I gotta tint my windows
That was epic, write for a living or just a good imagination?
Old 08-25-2016, 02:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
x2 (only go RS if a change is needed - for whatever reason...)

did you have driven already a GTR for some time? what do you feel - especially as soon driving your GT3 after it again?
usually a testdrive gives all the answers and don´t lie.
i have driving GTR stock and modded with gozillion hp.
got in drove it around, got out, thanked god, i prefer walking.

i do like cars from rising sun, the old nsx, mazda RX7 FD, variety of supras, 240z, toyota 2000, honda s2k and of course had 6 miatas.... but GTR is not me.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:32 AM
robmypro
Race Director

LOL

Sounds like that GT-R was a keeper.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:23 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Omi
This is true

Exterior is subjective.

Edit:
Very nice and well written comparison. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:02 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

LMSBO!

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge...