Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me off the ledge...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 05:18 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

Another that caught me first track event was getting a low fuel warning 50mi range left with a 1/2 tank of fuel. Used to it now but first time was a surprise/ distraction. Don't forget the CLs- PITA. Oh and thermostat failures. But I still like the car.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Another that caught me first track event was getting a low fuel warning 50mi range left with a 1/2 tank of fuel. Used to it now but first time was a surprise/ distraction. Don't forget the CLs- PITA. Oh and thermostat failures. But I still like the car.
I honestly like it too. On the way to the dealer I drove it as usual and ran it up some windy roads and it felt awesome.
I am going to have them sort this out, fix it if there is an issue... I decided not to trade it or sell it at the moment.
Most of you have done a great job to keep me clear of the GT-R
Old 08-22-2016, 05:39 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Another that caught me first track event was getting a low fuel warning 50mi range left with a 1/2 tank of fuel.
Yes! Leaving the track with low fuel level, then discovering you have at least 1/3 of tank.

Another nice feature:

Full tank fuel level on 60 liters. Everything from 60 to 90 liters looks the same.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:41 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
Yes! Leaving the track with low fuel level, then discovering you have at least 1/3 of tank.

Another nice feature:

Full tank fuel level on 60 liters. Everything from 60 to 90 liters looks the same.
is that a standard feature on all the GT3's with the 90L tank? (I think they all have that?)
Old 08-22-2016, 05:53 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it's something specific to my car only. I somehow believe it's just another example of 991 GT3 bad engineering.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
Well, some of my favourites are:

1. Sound gremlins here and there. When they fix some, you start to hear a new ones. And I'm not talking about engine-transmission. I'm talking about build quality when different plastic parts make annoying sounds.

2. Perverted oil reading system. If you're not familiar with the way it works, finding yourself on track with not being able to read oil level after refill is great.

3. Startup smoke that activates a fire alarm in your garage.

4. Making all the way to track day to have engine going to limp mode after 2 laps. More than once. More than twice.

5. Having engine rebuild from beginning of May till late July. Bye-bye racing season.

6. Having brakes damaged for some mysterious reason (Maybe overheating when there should have been no overheating. Maybe pad tappering. Maybe something else.)

7. Experiencing the increasing amount of transmission problems in city traffic and loading car to trailer if you're left foot braking.

8. Seeing more and more paint flakes falling off the car like autumn leafs. Then getting to know Porsche insists it's normal.

9. Dashboard computer being reset to default settings and German language every other time you use TPS "Circuit mode". Central console computer remains in English.

10. TPS loosing tire pressures once in a 2-3 months then not being able to pick them up for hours.

11. Opening sun visor mirror cover and hearing the sound of plastic cracking then tiny piece falling. Happened 2 days ago. I probably opened this cover 20-30 times total. This was enough for it to break.

I had other issues too, but it's already a Top 11, so I'll stop here.
I hope this isn't normal, the only thing that really raises my attention is the transmission issue and limp mode.

If it were me - I would keep enjoying the 991 GT3 with a warranty - track and all. Once the warranty runs out I would re-assess and consider selling for a 997.2 GT3 and hold.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, these "Top 10" or should I say Top 11, make me want to have another glass of vino.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Match-Lave
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KA 991 GT3 - maybe if you could get the car to start spewing a little oil out the rear end - THEN you could run the car as the stunt double in the next Bond film - smoke and then oil..... :-) - keeping it positive...glass is always half full.....
Old 08-22-2016, 07:56 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 337 Likes on 172 Posts

The smoke on start up is just weird. Some have it, some don't (mine doesn't). On the other hand, my 2008 GT3 smoked like a chimney on start up. Didn't really bother me because consumption was normal. Different motor, same kind of driving, parking on level garage, etc.

Of course, in 2008 the GT3 had the Metzger engine.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Omi
AutoX

I own a GT-R and GT3 among others. First, few points:

1. Life is short. Be very careful when listening to others on subjective matters such as this
2. Both the GT3 and GT-R are only really enjoyable if the potential depreciation/ease of sale does not worry you
3. If you are not already aware, you should know that there is a 911 vs GTR rivalry that is significant and probably more passionate on the 911 side

If you truly want to be talked out of it, I think a lot of the good and important points have been made.

Generally speaking, the GT-R does not have the same recognition among the general public and appeals to a different demographic. It is highly engineered but, unlike the GT3, it is not built for finesse. It does not have the same beauty outside or inside. It also does not sound as good. It is not as refined. It is also a Nissan.

Of course, that is not a comparison. Those are merely some of the big reasons why you might not want one.

Having done many miles in both I would be happy to compare them if that is what you are looking for instead.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:25 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Please, make your comparison's. I'm sure many here would be interested.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 PM
Match-Lave
Rennlist Member

I echo Lodi - it's an awesome car. My GT3 Put a smile on my face today. Good hard 3 25 min sessions today at MSR Houston. It performed flawlessly and in the heat no less. Always amazing to me / it's a race car you can drive right off the track and comfortably drive home on the highway. All gauges worked well and no rattles or sun visor issues. Don't sell!! Don't do it!! Back away from the ledge....🚗😳
Old 08-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't worry about the smoke. Mine smokes like a banshee on startup two out of three times. However, it burns hardly any oil. Drive it hard and keep your eyes on the oil level. Remember you have loads of warranty. If something happens you will be well cared for by the mighty Porsche! Also, the configuration of your garage may make the smoke seem worse since it cannot escape easily. Relax and enjoy!
Old 08-23-2016, 09:09 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine leaves a trail of dense smoke at start-up, I love it.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge...