Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me off the ledge...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:33 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if someone brought a GT-R to my house for a test drive, I would politely decline. Sorry, love my 3 too much.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:48 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by KA 991 GT3
Did you see me praising the GT-R? Mentioning stats on it? This reply doesn't just pertain to you, to a few who have mis-read this post. I urge to clearly re-read my original post. I have no urges but to bang my girl. That being said, The GT3 was bought to ease my day, help me deal with PTSD and cope with my military injuries. When I got into the whole engine issues, it became an anxiety factor and no longer that relief. Hard to explain unless you could be in my shoes. I'm also O.C.D, Matt Moreman with Obsessed Garage could actually relate... If I find it in me to just keep the GT3 and never think re-sale, again, there wouldn't have been a thread like this to begin with.
Sorry man, didn't mean to offend you. I reread your op and didn't see any mention of the things you just mentioned. At the end of the day you have to do what works for you, either emotionally, financially, whatever.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:49 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Given the stress and anxiety you seem to have because of the possible future price of the car you should sell it. We're all in for the enjoyment and if it's not there for whatever reason move on, GTR or another car. But I have a feeling you'll find the same anxiety creeping in no matter what you end up with, nothing is assured. A world event tomorrow would crater even blue chip cars. I'm in Austin as well, maybe a 07 GT3 (great car and depreciated) and a few days at COTA, TWS and H2R is an option?

I get the allure of the GTR, but then everyone I knew who owned one moved on from it quickly. It's a FOMO car, then meh in reality...as covered above.

Last edited by consolidated; 08-21-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:51 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Given the stress and anxiety you seem to have because of the possible future price of the car you should sell it. We're all in for the enjoyment and if it's not there for whatever reason move on, GTR or whatever. But I have a feeling you'll find the same anxiety creeping in no matter what you end up with, nothing is assured. A world event tomorrow would crater even blue chip cars. I'm in Austin as well, maybe a 07 GT3 (great car) and few days at COTA, TWS and H2R is an option?
That would be awesome.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:53 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by robmypro
Sorry man, didn't mean to offend you. I reread your op and didn't see any mention of the things you just mentioned. At the end of the day you have to do what works for you, either emotionally, financially, whatever.
No offense taken.

I posted to
Solicit opinions, asking for advice. I never considered Nissan as brand of choice on any level.
Asking fellow members on here, as I mentioned in my original post, who seem to have owned, experienced or simply know enough about the GT-R to give me an advice, meaning, I'm all ears.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:04 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Ex GTR owner here as well. The GTR has its strengths but as stated over and over in here, I would never trade my GT3 for a GTR. The GT3 is so much more of an event to drive. The vibrations and noises are incredible and it feels like a race car. A GTR, even modded like mine was, feels like a really fast AWD G37. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a completely different experience from the machine you have now.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:21 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

GTR heavy athlete, GT3 more fit, Soccer player vs track star or maybe Britney Spears vs. Kate Beckinsale
Old 08-21-2016, 11:31 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 226 Posts

Best analogy yet!

I've also had a gt-R it is an intriguing car and has clearly convinced many of us to give it a try. I got so bored with it within a year..it really is just put your foot on the pedal and hands on the wheel and go like a video game.

Get another gt3 if it bothers you so much or a gt4 if you want something more for the street.

Originally Posted by dark knight
GTR heavy athlete, GT3 more fit, Soccer player vs track star or maybe Britney Spears vs. Kate Beckinsale
Old 08-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Well..maybe this will help. I have 6 years track experience, completed the 5 day Bertil Roos race school, instruct for HOD, in the advanced groups for both NASA and HOD, completed in AER endurance racing; track a Boss 302 Trans Am TA3 build to Boss S/R specs. 526hp weighing in at 3200 lbs.

I had never been in a GT3 on the track although do own a 991RS. Had a friend take me out in his 991 GT3 (Sapphire Blue if that matters) with the sofa seats. He is also an advanced group in NASA and HOD.

What I can tell you is the 991 GT3 is epic on the track. I couldn't have been more impressed. Accelaration was relentless and hard to over 8500 rpms, it drove out of the turns the way only a rear/mid engine car can; shifts were blazingly fast both up and down, the brakes were neck wrenching on decelaration and the car slowed consistently with composure even on deep braking, turn in was fantastic, composure was stellar even when hitting a few raised Gator curbing at speed. Even the sofa seats did a great job of holding me in. The car is as fast if not faster than my Boss 302 TA3 with half the effort.

Name:  image8.jpeg
Views: 439
Size:  645.8 KB

The sound even from his stock exhaust was fantasic and classic GT3. Can't rave enough about it. We were on pace with Z06 and Vipers all day.

Plus its Porsche GT3. Drive you wife to dinner in it after the track event and have the valet park it out front.

Doesn't get better than that.

If this doesn't back you away from the ledge you are too far gone.

Enjoy the GT-R.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Thor I.docx (619.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 08-21-2016, 01:18 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by KA 991 GT3
If I find it in me to just keep the GT3 and never think re-sale, again, there wouldn't have been a thread like this to begin with.
Congratulations on buying the GT3 and discovering your own solution to your problem. Life is too short to worry about what may or may not happen in the future. Drive it, Enjoy it and stop worrying about someone else who may or not want to buy it. The GT3 is one of the best dual-purpose sports cars ever made by any manufacturer and will always be valued as such in the future.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:42 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Waxer
Well..maybe this will help. I have 6 years track experience, completed the 5 day Bertil Roos race school, instruct for HOD, in the advanced groups for both NASA and HOD, completed in AER endurance racing; track a Boss 302 Trans Am TA3 build to Boss S/R specs. 526hp weighing in at 3200 lbs. I had never been in a GT3 on the track although do own a 991RS. Had a friend take me out in his 991 GT3 (Sapphire Blue if that matters) with the sofa seats. He is also an advanced group in NASA and HOD. What I can tell you is the 991 GT3 is epic on the track. I couldn't have been more impressed. Accelaration was relentless and hard to over 8500 rpms, it drove out of the turns the way only a rear/mid engine car can; shifts were blazingly fast both up and down, the brakes were neck wrenching on decelaration and the car slowed consistently with composure even on deep braking, turn in was fantastic, composure was stellar even when hitting a few raised Gator curbing at speed. Even the sofa seats did a great job of holding me in. The car is as fast if not faster than my Boss 302 TA3 with half the effort. The sound even from his stock exhaust was fantasic and classic GT3. Can't rave enough about it. We were on pace with Z06 and Vipers all day. Plus its Porsche GT3. Drive you wife to dinner in it after the track event and have the valet park it out front. Doesn't get better than that. If this doesn't back you away from the ledge you are too far gone. Enjoy the GT-R.
Very nice review you provided.
Your boss 302 gave me some nostalgia to my old S281SC from 2001. Not built the same but my old mustang days.
You mentioned you guys were keeping pace with the Z06 and vipers, what is your take on the Z?
Again,
My mind was never made on the GT-R... Please see a couple of posts up.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:46 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Congratulations on buying the GT3 and discovering your own solution to your problem. Life is too short to worry about what may or may not happen in the future. Drive it, Enjoy it and stop worrying about someone else who may or not want to buy it. The GT3 is one of the best dual-purpose sports cars ever made by any manufacturer and will always be valued as such in the future.
Thanks bud.

If I can find a warranty company that is worth having with this vehicle, knowing some of the issues on the table, it would make it easier to go on. Talked to my local dealer and they offer Motorist Assistance Plan as an after market warranty but it won't cover damages or wear due to racing or tracking and sure won't replace an engine...
Old 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

You say get you off the ledge...
In a non-car situation you're contemplating suicide. Not trying to make light of that, just being factual.
So, um... Don't kill your car self.
Pretty simple decision in my mind. Don't jump. You will die.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:46 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 217 Posts

Would never trade a GT3 for a GTR. Ever
Old 08-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

You've already taken the loss. Selling now isn't going to help you avoid it, it's just going to accelerate it. Drive the car if you like it. The financial damage is done.

I can't imagine trading a GT3 for a GTR.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge...