Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me off the ledge...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 04:44 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Im pretty sure if you put this into an excel spreadsheet and did the math, this decision would prove to be 100% emotional. In other words, we can talk ourselves into pretty much anything, and this appears to be one of those times.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:14 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't track it - sell it.

This car has a lot of issues and having one can only be justified if you track it a lot.

Last edited by levd; 08-21-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Just Say No
Old 08-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Would never give up a GT3 for a GTR. Just not comparable.

I used to say that I would never buy a 14' GT3 for the obvious reasons, but now I'm saying I wouldn't buy it period in any model year. I, like you, wouldn't want to deal with all the potential engine issues.

That said, you've already purchased it and *it is* an incredible car despite its anxiety provoking issues. Selling now will only accelerate any financial loses, so keep it, enjoy it, drive the **** out it, then move on to the hopefully more reliable 991.2 GT3
Old 08-21-2016, 07:34 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

I wouldn't dispute anyone's personal experience w/GT3 engine issues but to claim that's a proxy for what everyone else will experience is a disservice to the car and the brand. Even Nick Murray was smart enough to know his "Lemon" was an outlier. He has since bought another 911. Granted, if you want to track your GT3 for 100 hours, I'd be subscribed to the relevant engine threads. For everyone else, I'm not convinced this motor will be any less reliable than any other GT3 driven on the road.

Human nature is to focus on the problems rather than praise an absence of them. If it were otherwise, some balance might be restored to the motor's reputation if you just digested Rennlist. From my read of threads detailing some of the issues and Porsche's response to them, I think the factory is doing an admirable job. Unfortunately, I have the sense there's a "no good deed goes unpunished" attitude, which I think is unfortunate. Perhaps I should start a new thread with the title "My GT3 ran flawlessly today."

To the OP: Take what you read in context with all the positive, long-term experience the MAJORITY of GT3 owners have had. In terms of the financial risk, the car's resale has been better than ANY Porsche I've owned. That could change, of course, but I see no hard evidence that it will.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:20 PM
levd
Pro

As long as 51% still counts majority, 991 GT3 can probably be considered a reliable car for a little while, LOL.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:38 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
I wouldn't dispute anyone's personal experience w/GT3 engine issues but to claim that's a proxy for what everyone else will experience is a disservice to the car and the brand. Even Nick Murray was smart enough to know his "Lemon" was an outlier. He has since bought another 911. Granted, if you want to track your GT3 for 100 hours, I'd be subscribed to the relevant engine threads. For everyone else, I'm not convinced this motor will be any less reliable than any other GT3 driven on the road. Human nature is to focus on the problems rather than praise an absence of them. If it were otherwise, some balance might be restored to the motor's reputation if you just digested Rennlist. From my read of threads detailing some of the issues and Porsche's response to them, I think the factory is doing an admirable job. Unfortunately, I have the sense there's a "no good deed goes unpunished" attitude, which I think is unfortunate. Perhaps I should start a new thread with the title "My GT3 ran flawlessly today." To the OP: Take what you read in context with all the positive, long-term experience the MAJORITY of GT3 owners have had. In terms of the financial risk, the car's resale has been better than ANY Porsche I've owned. That could change, of course, but I see no hard evidence that it will.
Great and positive outlook on things and the situation in general. Thank you
Old 08-21-2016, 08:39 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
As long as 51% still counts majority, 991 GT3 can probably be considered a reliable car for a little while, LOL.
Very true

As WernerE said, and as I already know and have said, Porsche has done a great job taking care of their customers.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

If you don't track it - sell it.

This car has a lot of issues and having one can only be justified if you track it a lot.
Completely disagree with you on this. But that's okay. I understand you have had issues with your car. I would probably be pissed if it happened to me.

But since nothing has happened, I reiterate...

991 GT3. Best. Car. Ever.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:59 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Completely disagree with you on this. But that's okay. I understand you have had issues with your car. I would probably be pissed if it happened to me.

But since nothing has happened, I reiterate...

991 GT3. Best. Car. Ever.
Okay Rob, this will be the last time I agree with you, I promise. It's the best car ever, atleast to me.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 PM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by KA 991 GT3
Very true

As WernerE said, and as I already know and have said, Porsche has done a great job taking care of their customers.
With engines - yes. SO FAR. With other issues - not really.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by KA 991 GT3
Very nice review you provided.
Your boss 302 gave me some nostalgia to my old S281SC from 2001. Not built the same but my old mustang days.
You mentioned you guys were keeping pace with the Z06 and vipers, what is your take on the Z?
Again,
My mind was never made on the GT-R... Please see a couple of posts up.
My take on the Z is it a brutally capable and for the money a tremendous bargain. Freight train power. Lacks the "tactile feel and refinement" of the GT3 IMHO. My only other issue with the Z is,... its a Vette and they are everywhere. In fact, I have a local cruise night by me every Friday. One of the largest in the country. About 75 to 100 cars show up and park up and down Main Street in Somerville. I go just about every week after a hard week in the office.

A Z06 was parked next to my '12 Boss 302 LS (silver and red). The Boss attracted way more attention and admirers than the Z06. I was surprised and intrigued by that and figured it was due to the fact there are usually no less than 2 to 3 Z06's showing up each cruise night. Likely thousands and thousands of Z06s built to date with more slated '17.

Only 1500 Lagunas made and only 133 in silver and red.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:42 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Your 51% is a spin and you know it. But hey, you're frustrated and I don't fault you for it.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:02 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep in mind that your title is "branded" because of a large-scale campaign initiated by the manufacturer that involved 785 cars. Its not a mystery issue that affected one or two vehicles. Personally, I think you made the right choice in selecting the GT3. Its an amazing car. Puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. I would only trade your 3 in on the GTR if you are passionate about owning that vehicle, not because you are scared the bottom will fall out of the GT3 because of the title. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Okay Rob, this will be the last time I agree with you, I promise. It's the best car ever, atleast to me.
I am as guilty as you are. Why don't we live closer, Bronson? Would have loved to have had you join our cruise yesterday. One day!

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge...