Sponsored by:

Talk me off the ledge...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer
Mine leaves a trail of dense smoke at start-up, I love it.
No regrets checking the box then?

Old 08-23-2016, 09:22 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Match-Lave
I echo Lodi - it's an awesome car. My GT3 Put a smile on my face today. It performed flawlessly and in the heat no less. Always amazing to me / it's a race car you can drive right off the track and comfortably drive home on the highway. All gauges worked well and no rattles or sun visor issues.
If you can't say something bad about the car, don't say it at all.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:58 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
Well, some of my favourites are:

1. Sound gremlins here and there. When they fix some, you start to hear a new ones. And I'm not talking about engine-transmission. I'm talking about build quality when different plastic parts make annoying sounds.

2. Perverted oil reading system. If you're not familiar with the way it works, finding yourself on track with not being able to read oil level after refill is great.

3. Startup smoke that activates a fire alarm in your garage.

4. Making all the way to track day to have engine going to limp mode after 2 laps. More than once. More than twice.

5. Having engine rebuild from beginning of May till late July. Bye-bye racing season.

6. Having brakes damaged for some mysterious reason (Maybe overheating when there should have been no overheating. Maybe pad tappering. Maybe something else.)

7. Experiencing the increasing amount of transmission problems in city traffic and loading car to trailer if you're left foot braking.

8. Seeing more and more paint flakes falling off the car like autumn leafs. Then getting to know Porsche insists it's normal.

9. Dashboard computer being reset to default settings and German language every other time you use TPS "Circuit mode". Central console computer remains in English.

10. TPS loosing tire pressures once in a 2-3 months then not being able to pick them up for hours.

11. Opening sun visor mirror cover and hearing the sound of plastic cracking then tiny piece falling. Happened 2 days ago. I probably opened this cover 20-30 times total. This was enough for it to break.

I had other issues too, but it's already a Top 11, so I'll stop here.
I think my list of warranty issues/fix over the last 2 years is in excess over 35+ over 6 pcars. Currently waiting for yet another part that is back ordered and not available anywhere. I don't stop by rennlist much these days - I'm not sure I'll be buying any new Porsches. Still love the older 911s, but unconvinced on any new product after the last few years.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I think my list of warranty issues/fix over the last 2 years is in excess over 35+ over 6 pcars. Currently waiting for yet another part that is back ordered and not available anywhere. I don't stop by rennlist much these days - I'm not sure I'll be buying any new Porsches. Still love the older 911s, but unconvinced on any new product after the last few years.
Hopefully you're still planning on keeping that beautiful RS for a while.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

J.D. Power ranked Porsche #2 in dependability

Last edited by WernerE; 08-23-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:04 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
Don't worry about the smoke. Mine smokes like a banshee on startup two out of three times. However, it burns hardly any oil. Drive it hard and keep your eyes on the oil level. Remember you have loads of warranty. If something happens you will be well cared for by the mighty Porsche! Also, the configuration of your garage may make the smoke seem worse since it cannot escape easily. Relax and enjoy!
I am seeing that Porsche is right on my case and working with my dealer and I am no foreign to them, this is my 4th P car and never had a single issue before.

Originally Posted by surfer
Mine leaves a trail of dense smoke at start-up, I love it.
I bet you like that, reminds me of one of my deleted diesel trucks lol

Originally Posted by Match-Lave
I echo Lodi - it's an awesome car. My GT3 Put a smile on my face today. Good hard 3 25 min sessions today at MSR Houston. It performed flawlessly and in the heat no less. Always amazing to me / it's a race car you can drive right off the track and comfortably drive home on the highway. All gauges worked well and no rattles or sun visor issues. Don't sell!! Don't do it!! Back away from the ledge....🚗😳
I need to get mine on the track, I really was looking forward to it all. Let's see what the tech reports to me in the AM. He and I both agreed to let the car sit for two days then fire it up and record the smoke. Porsche wanted both, his and my video to make a call on the issue.

Thank you all for the continued support. A guy can feel the love on this forum
Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

J.D. Power isn't the last word on reliability, but my experience with Porsche is consistent with their survey. Your mileage will vary....
Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,544 Likes on 5,066 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
J.D. Power ranked Porsche #2 in dependability

This just means ... Macans and Cayenne's are generally trouble-free.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:08 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Default On my experience with reliability...

ok,

1- First Porsche was an 08 C4S, had to take it in twice for AWD system, they replaced some parts, never had an issue after
2- Second one, 08 997TT not a single issue while owning it, put a 750 EVOMS kit on it, ran flawlessly.
3- Third, 15 991 TT, no issues, had it 5 months.
4- Fourth, 14 991 GT3, you all know the story...

Customer service from the dealer has been great, no complaints. Product in general is high quality and well built. They Effed up this car for some reason...
Old 08-24-2016, 12:09 AM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No regrets checking the box then?
Lmao
Old 08-24-2016, 12:39 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KA 991 GT3
ok,

Customer service from the dealer has been great, no complaints. Product in general is high quality and well built. They Effed up *your* car for some reason...
Fixed it for ya
Old 08-24-2016, 12:42 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Fixed it for ya
Whatever makes you happy darlin
Old 08-24-2016, 01:30 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Did I miss something? You started this thread with buyer's remorse over a recent GT3 purchase. Is there something wrong with your car anywhere near the order magnitude that a relative minority of others have experienced? More likely, your issue is self-inflicted worry and perception on what MAY happen based on a subset of vehicles that have solid track time. My mistake (and regret) is that my sarcasm was lost in my post.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:45 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Did I miss something? You started this thread with buyer's remorse over a recent GT3 purchase. Is there something wrong with your car anywhere near the order magnitude that a relative minority of others have experienced? More likely, your issue is self-inflicted worry and perception on what MAY happen based on a subset of vehicles that have solid track time. My mistake (and regret) is that my sarcasm was lost in my post.
You are missing quite a bit, including the title to my thread. Was looking for advise and support. Got plenty of both.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

sell gt3 buy GTR, haha
sell gt3 buy gt3RS, yes

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge...