Sponsored by:

Talk me off the ledge...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:17 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I won't admonish you or try to second guess the rationale you're using to consider making this swap. But you asked to be "talked off the ledge" so I will just say that, with all due respect to the performance of the Nissan, there is no way in hell I would ever consider trading my GT3 for a GT-R. They are not comparable in any way that is meaningful....at least to me.
I respect that you know more about the comparison between the two cars than I do. I have never driven either car on the track, never driven a GT-R but on a short test drive.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:26 AM
pdudek
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never driven a GTR but I like what the car stands for and what it's capable of.
I think there would be some value to post the same question in the GTR forum and ask for responses there just to get a different angle and opinion if you haven't already done so.

From a financial standpoint I think the GT3 is the better way to go when talking about depreciation. I don't believe it matters if it's a 14, 15 or 16. Any buyer of these cars will know the history and an engine swap early in the production year by the factory wouldn't deter me personally .. Unless it was a backyard engine swap

I think the true question to ask is what YOU will enjoy more. Not even considering taking a loss on the GT3 but rather from a "make you smile" factor.

Find what you want and stick with it. Obviously the GT3 spoke to you from the beginning so enjoy it
Old 08-21-2016, 03:25 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Pointless thread. This is a financial decision for you. Figure it out.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:48 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Agree with Mike in CA...would never trade a 991GT3 for a GTR.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:01 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought a GTR in 2013. I kept the car for about six months but only drove it a few times. They may be fast on paper but it felt like an Altima and made transmission and suspension noises likes a 5 ton truck. Never again...
Old 08-21-2016, 08:45 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Much ado about nothing. Enjoy the car.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:51 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Pointless thread. This is a financial decision for you. Figure it out.
+1

And on that note I know where my money would be between a Porsche GT car and a Nissan with TT and questionable styling.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:56 AM
SHAG
Racer

Don't you have an extra 918 VIP level warranty from Porsche because of engine recall? Drive the car hard and enjoy it. No one here wants to drive a Nissan over a Porsche.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Fadi1
Pro

May I ask what color is the GT3 and how many miles it has?
Old 08-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Hashlak
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had owned a GTR for about 3 years before selling up and getting a GT3RS. Hope i can help explain some differences and personal experiences that would assist you in your decision.

So I first purchased my 2012 GTR late 2013. My previous car before that was a 2007 C63 AMG (lovley car btw, still haven't sold it) so expectation were high for the GTR and its something I have always admired from the older generation R34's.

Initially I was pretty impressed by the cars acceleration and the way it managed its heavy weight. Definitely a great piece of engineering. After some time, the initial excitement faded and I began to dislike a few things about the stock car.

1) The exhaust sound is really lame, and inside the car it sounds like a big washing machine. (something that kills the experience for me)

2) As well as the car managed its weight, you can definitely feel it when braking, changing direction and going over uneven surfaces.

3) The suspension is particularly harsh when driving on uneven roads with potholes etc etc.. I personally like my suspension stiff, and im happy to deal with the roughness but the GTR's harshness is difficult to explain, its as if the car tries to re-balance itself when hitting potholes and you get the initial impact feel + a lot of bounciness if that makes any sense.. So the comfort setting was worse than Race for me personally lol..

So after a few months of ownership I knew that I needed to change some things.. I got into the GTR owners club community and got to see some more unique examples.

To cut the story short, I ended up getting some serious mods and got the car to about 670+ Bhp with a full catless 102mm titanium exhaust with all the flames and bangs that come with it This was like a totally different animal. The tuned car had a very different characteristic and behavior to it.

For me personally I loved the GTR after the mods, it had a ridiculous acceleration, an amazing exhaust note and I pretty much smoked 90% of supercars that tried to have a play

The car went through several trackdays and never skipped a beat. I dont want this post to be too long so I will put my pros and cons from my personal experience compared to the gt3rs:

Pros:

- After tuning and the right modifications (Power/Suspension/brakes/weight reduction) The car is an absolute monster on the street and track. Lives up to the giant killing persona.

- Very reliable machine overall. There are a few common things like the bell housing and earlier model gearboxes (2009) that tend to go but generally it is a resilient creature.

- AWD torque split drive train gives it an edge in heavy rain and snowy conditions.

- Ownerclub/Community is really good. Very passionate owners with very different and unique builds.

- Aftermarket Options are endless. It is truly a tuner car that MUST be tuned and messed with to extract maximum enjoyment + performance.

- Lots of boot space in the back and back seats that you can fit 2 small people in.

Cons:

- Car is just way to heavy. You feel it on the street and you feel it a lot more on the track Shes a real fat lady.

- Lots and lots of understeer on track. You can push through the understeer and get snap oversteer but its not as organic experience as in the GT3. GT3/RS gives much more control, confidence and adjustability on oversteer.

- Due to weight, it absolutely destroys brakes and tires, puts them through hell when on track. (My first ever trackday at Silverstone, I got big cracks on my brake discs) Thus in my opinion its really not a good track car.

- It cannot handle many laps on the track compared the GT3/RS. I noticed that after about 5 hard laps the transmission oil gets really hot, it is a known issue with the GTR and many owners who track it a lot get aftermarket tranny coolers installed. The GT3 you can go lap after lap without any heating issues.

- Very short gearing compared to GT3/RS.

- Car doesn't have much top end power.

- Because of the large size of the car and weight, you dont feel the speed as much. You really have to do some illegal **** and drive the car on its limits to give you that sensation. I feel in the GT3/RS there is much more drama, and you really feel the speed much more.

- The steering feel is significantly less in the GTR compared to the GT3/RS. This is something I never understood myself before I drove the GT3. Lots of reviews online praise the amazing feel and connection you have in the GT3. This is something that you only truly understand when you drive GT car from Porsche. Makes the GTR steering feel numb and emotionless.

- The stock car is not very exciting. Needs a lot of work to get the most out of it.

- You get those GTR fanboys that make you look bad..

To conclude, I personally would not swap a GT3 or RS with a GTR. Even though I had a great experience owning my GTR, met a lot of interesting people and really enjoyed the whole modding/tuning experience. The GT3/RS is a much more complete and capable car. It is superior in every way in my opinion. The GTR really shines when you tune the crap out, adding full bolt ons etc etc. At that point you realize how much money you actually ended up spending on it that you could spend on something more exotic.

In your case, it doesn't seem like you want to go down the route of heavy modifications and slowly developing the car.

My advice is keep your GT3, track it and enjoy every moment.

Hope this helps gives you some insight so you make the right decision Go and test drive a GTR if it makes you feel better.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:26 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fadi1
May I ask what color is the GT3 and how many miles it has?
It's white, satin wheels, red stitching, red seat belts, lift, carbon fiber trim, sound plus, PDLS, 18 way seats, clear tail lights and side markers... MSRP 153,400 I believe. 1827 miles with full XPEL wrap.

Last edited by KA 991 GT3; 08-21-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:43 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hashlak
I had owned a GTR for about 3 years before selling up and getting a GT3RS. Hope i can help explain some differences and personal experiences that would assist you in your decision. So I first purchased my 2012 GTR late 2013. My previous car before that was a 2007 C63 AMG (lovley car btw, still haven't sold it) so expectation were high for the GTR and its something I have always admired from the older generation R34's. Initially I was pretty impressed by the cars acceleration and the way it managed its heavy weight. Definitely a great piece of engineering. After some time, the initial excitement faded and I began to dislike a few things about the stock car. 1) The exhaust sound is really lame, and inside the car it sounds like a big washing machine. (something that kills the experience for me) 2) As well as the car managed its weight, you can definitely feel it when braking, changing direction and going over uneven surfaces. 3) The suspension is particularly harsh when driving on uneven roads with potholes etc etc.. I personally like my suspension stiff, and im happy to deal with the roughness but the GTR's harshness is difficult to explain, its as if the car tries to re-balance itself when hitting potholes and you get the initial impact feel + a lot of bounciness if that makes any sense.. So the comfort setting was worse than Race for me personally lol.. So after a few months of ownership I knew that I needed to change some things.. I got into the GTR owners club community and got to see some more unique examples. To cut the story short, I ended up getting some serious mods and got the car to about 670+ Bhp with a full catless 102mm titanium exhaust with all the flames and bangs that come with it This was like a totally different animal. The tuned car had a very different characteristic and behavior to it. For me personally I loved the GTR after the mods, it had a ridiculous acceleration, an amazing exhaust note and I pretty much smoked 90% of supercars that tried to have a play The car went through several trackdays and never skipped a beat. I dont want this post to be too long so I will put my pros and cons from my personal experience compared to the gt3rs: Pros: - After tuning and the right modifications (Power/Suspension/brakes/weight reduction) The car is an absolute monster on the street and track. Lives up to the giant killing persona. - Very reliable machine overall. There are a few common things like the bell housing and earlier model gearboxes (2009) that tend to go but generally it is a resilient creature. - AWD torque split drive train gives it an edge in heavy rain and snowy conditions. - Ownerclub/Community is really good. Very passionate owners with very different and unique builds. - Aftermarket Options are endless. It is truly a tuner car that MUST be tuned and messed with to extract maximum enjoyment + performance. - Lots of boot space in the back and back seats that you can fit 2 small people in. Cons: - Car is just way to heavy. You feel it on the street and you feel it a lot more on the track Shes a real fat lady. - Lots and lots of understeer on track. You can push through the understeer and get snap oversteer but its not as organic experience as in the GT3. GT3/RS gives much more control, confidence and adjustability on oversteer. - Due to weight, it absolutely destroys brakes and tires, puts them through hell when on track. (My first ever trackday at Silverstone, I got big cracks on my brake discs) Thus in my opinion its really not a good track car. - It cannot handle many laps on the track compared the GT3/RS. I noticed that after about 5 hard laps the transmission oil gets really hot, it is a known issue with the GTR and many owners who track it a lot get aftermarket tranny coolers installed. The GT3 you can go lap after lap without any heating issues. - Very short gearing compared to GT3/RS. - Car doesn't have much top end power. - Because of the large size of the car and weight, you dont feel the speed as much. You really have to do some illegal **** and drive the car on its limits to give you that sensation. I feel in the GT3/RS there is much more drama, and you really feel the speed much more. - The steering feel is significantly less in the GTR compared to the GT3/RS. This is something I never understood myself before I drove the GT3. Lots of reviews online praise the amazing feel and connection you have in the GT3. This is something that you only truly understand when you drive GT car from Porsche. Makes the GTR steering feel numb and emotionless. - The stock car is not very exciting. Needs a lot of work to get the most out of it. - You get those GTR fanboys that make you look bad.. To conclude, I personally would not swap a GT3 or RS with a GTR. Even though I had a great experience owning my GTR, met a lot of interesting people and really enjoyed the whole modding/tuning experience. The GT3/RS is a much more complete and capable car. It is superior in every way in my opinion. The GTR really shines when you tune the crap out, adding full bolt ons etc etc. At that point you realize how much money you actually ended up spending on it that you could spend on something more exotic. In your case, it doesn't seem like you want to go down the route of heavy modifications and slowly developing the car. My advice is keep your GT3, track it and enjoy every moment. Hope this helps gives you some insight so you make the right decision Go and test drive a GTR if it makes you feel better.
THIS is what I was looking for. I'm grateful that you had the experience in both cars to give me a rundown comparison.

No, I do not want to go down heavy mods path, did that with my 997 TT and it never ended then I sold the car.

I do need a track day with the GT3 to fully capture the car or even a couple of times out there on the track and some spirited driving.
The little driving I have done, the car is impressive it just lacks the exhilarating launch from a stop that my 991TT had. It still is faster than a lot of cars (0-60) like C7 Corvette, Mercedes GTS to name a couple...

The handling on this car is what makes it a monster. I have driven a few M cars and they do not compare.

Porsche is taking care of their customers well with all these engine issues, yet many service departments when I shared with them that some 14 cars after the engine swap are still having issues and even the 15's and 16's I get a weird empty look and get told that they never heard of such issues.

I think that if this very car I have didn't have this "branding" note on CarFax I wouldn't have created this thread.

Clearly the GT-R from many of you on here is not a comparable choice. I had two Turbos so I didn't want to go back and get another.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:05 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Go drive a GT-R and then tell us what you think. Driving experience between the two is very different. Decide based on which car gives you the warm fuzzies. That's the car you'll keep.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:21 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

People fall in love with the story of Godzilla. In reality, your GT3 stomps it in every measurable way. Not even in the same ballpark. But if you feel the urge to make a change, it is your decision solely. I doubt many of us GT3 owners would make THAT switch.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:32 AM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by robmypro
People fall in love with the story of Godzilla. In reality, your GT3 stomps it in every measurable way. Not even in the same ballpark. But if you feel the urge to make a change, it is your decision solely. I doubt many of us GT3 owners would make THAT switch.
Did you see me praising the GT-R? Mentioning stats on it? This reply doesn't just pertain to you, to a few who have mis-read this post. I urge to clearly re-read my original post. I have no urges but to bang my girl. That being said, The GT3 was bought to ease my day, help me deal with PTSD and cope with my military injuries. When I got into the whole engine issues, it became an anxiety factor and no longer that relief. Hard to explain unless you could be in my shoes. I'm also O.C.D, Matt Moreman with Obsessed Garage could actually relate... If I find it in me to just keep the GT3 and never think re-sale, again, there wouldn't have been a thread like this to begin with.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge...