Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage car lifts

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 06:13 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey guys, I have my new house under construction. It has 4 car tandem garage with ceiling height of 11.5 ft. Plan all along has been to be able to put 4 bendpak HD9 lifts to accommodate up to 8 cars. Since house is on a hill, significant structural slab reinforcements are done (slab is complete) to ensure no issues. I’m going to put the rear 2 lifts first and then see if I need for the front of the garage later. I have 4 vehicles now and 5th one coming soon.

We are about 8-10 months away from completion and I was wondering if this is the right time to order the lifts?

got few questions:
1) is this the right time to order the lifts, any extended lead time issues?
2) is there a clear access to underbody of the vehicles for these lifts to be able to perform oil changes etc? I’ll get quick jack for tire change but it’s too low for oil change. I have been looking at Nussbaum lifts for oil change etc but the slab is already done.
3) For vehicles with low clearance, I have 991.1 4S with PDCC + SPASM (lowest clearance) also 718 GT4 along the way, these are lowest ground clearance Porsches (also planning on getting 992 GT3RS), are the standard ramps good enough or I need low clearance long ones? How about the accessories or standard stuff that comes with it?
4) lastly anyone knows a dealer/showroom where I can actually go and see these lifts? I’ll call bendpak as well.

I live in the SF Bay Area in California and would love to see someone’s setup if you’re open to showing, pls PM me.

Last edited by fester; 04-16-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:02 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 394 Posts

Have you looked at Bendpak Scissor lifts? I would probably go that way if I did it again. You should also seriously consider the challenger lift if you want 4 post. I bought those over the bendpak because they don't need an air compressor to lower it. Challenger will work with 10'0" ceilings.
The following users liked this post:
fester (04-17-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 12:22 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,032 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Hey guys, I have my new house under construction. It has 4 car tandem garage with ceiling height of 11.5 ft. Plan all along has been to be able to put 4 bendpak HD9 lifts to accommodate up to 8 cars. Since house is on a hill, significant structural slab reinforcements are done (slab is complete) to ensure no issues. I’m going to put the rear 2 lifts first and then see if I need for the front of the garage later. I have 4 vehicles now and 5th one coming soon.

We are about 8-10 months away from completion and I was wondering if this is the right time to order the lifts?

got few questions:
1) is this the right time to order the lifts, any extended lead time issues?
2) is there a clear access to underbody of the vehicles for these lifts to be able to perform oil changes etc? I’ll get quick jack for tire change but it’s too low for oil change. I have been looking at Nussbaum lifts for oil change etc but the slab is already done.
3) For vehicles with low clearance, I have 991.1 4S with PDCC + SPASM (lowest clearance) also 718 GT4 along the way, these are lowest ground clearance Porsches (also planning on getting 992 GT3RS), are the standard ramps good enough or I need low clearance long ones? How about the accessories or standard stuff that comes with it?
4) lastly anyone knows a dealer/showroom where I can actually go and see these lifts? I’ll call bendpak as well.

I live in the SF Bay Area in California and would love to see someone’s setup if you’re open to showing, pls PM me.
The yellow ramps that came with the lift is no good for low cars. Unless maybe if you have FAL.

I am getting these to replace them. Based on the suggestion of this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17007394

The following 2 users liked this post by Dyim:
fester (04-17-2022), Overdraft (04-17-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 11:43 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

I have had four HD9 units and they are brilliant. I recently ordered a double unit storing two cars in the air which works well…but Would do it again only if space was a factor….in that I have a double garage and wanting to avoid the two columns between the cars. I have a pneumatic jack as well from Bendpak which I would do again on an HD9 but NOT on a double….as you can’t work on one side of the car if in the air because the ramps are too close together. Delivery for me was 12 weeks…get the higher 6’8” unit for oil changes…race ramps a must - my GT3T goes up no problem.
fester (04-19-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 10:04 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Have you looked at Bendpak Scissor lifts? I would probably go that way if I did it again. You should also seriously consider the challenger lift if you want 4 post. I bought those over the bendpak because they don't need an air compressor to lower it. Challenger will work with 10'0" ceilings.
You know this since you convinced me to get the Challenger in my current garage but the Autostacker (Bendpak scissor lift) is awesome in many ways but does require more space in all dimensions. The advantages are that the operation is so simple and quick (super wide and easy to drive onto, no ramps, fast up and down, no extra controls for locks) that there is minimal friction to using it - which means you use it every day. The biggest hassle is having to start and move two cars - the lift operation and driving on/off are so simple and quick.

The advantages of the 4 post lifts are space efficiency (vertical and horizontal), cost, ease of installation (the Autostacker weighs more than a GT3) and access to the underside of the car for maintenance. Oh, and they make it easier to get in and out of the car underneath the lift. Those scissor arms are a bit in the way of the lower car's door opening.

For reference, I had Autostacker at my previous house and challenger at the current place:

The following 4 users liked this post by RudyP:
cadster (04-18-2022), fester (04-19-2022), joejenie (04-19-2022), LizzyGreenGT3RS (04-17-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 02:05 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Is it me or bendpak hd9 are extremely slow to operate. Watched several videos and able to wait for 2 minutes so just to have it lower down seems eternity. Does it move faster with higher 220V connection? I actually have space mapped out for HD9 dimensions and I want to work on the car so unfortunately scissor lift won’t work.

also found that there is hydraulic carjack accessory to lift the car on the lift for tire changes, brake jobs etc. has any one done that? Lastly, how useful are these accessories on this video? If anyone has experience with them and can share?

Old 04-19-2022, 03:03 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Is it me or bendpak hd9 are extremely slow to operate. Watched several videos and able to wait for 2 minutes so just to have it lower down seems eternity. Does it move faster with higher 220V connection? I actually have space mapped out for HD9 dimensions and I want to work on the car so unfortunately scissor lift won’t work.

also found that there is hydraulic carjack accessory to lift the car on the lift for tire changes, brake jobs etc. has any one done that? Lastly, how useful are these accessories on this video? If anyone has experience with them and can share?
I have a HD9 for a number of years. First lift I have owned. It's slow but wouldn't call it extremely and not even painfully. I haven't timed it. I can see how it would get annoying if you are moving cars multiple times a day. The 220V is supposed to be faster, ask Bendpak on the time savings.

I didn't watch the whole video.....

the mount for gauges could be good, depends on where you mount your gauges. I have them on the wall adjacent to my lift.

the included ramps are heavy. they have aluminum ones. or get Race Ramps. I got RR, but they made them wrong so didn't work well because the lift needed a custom cutout to wedge into the lip from my garage floor to driveway. This is because my lift edge is close to the opening of the garage and there's about a 0.5" drop between the floor and driveway and it starts a gentle slope down. They remade them at no cost, still their measurements were off. I was told they had an intern at the time and he left and blah blah. I didn't complain again and use them sometimes though they require pads underneath to make up the gap.

I got the wheels to move it but have never used it. No real need to move it!
Old 04-19-2022, 03:07 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
The yellow ramps that came with the lift is no good for low cars. Unless maybe if you have FAL.

You may already know this.....but they have ramps for specific lifts. This allows the ramp to hook into the ramp roller pins on the tracks. If not on the website, contact them. They can also make a custom ramp for your application. See my other post just before, possible but they were done wrong twice. I needed custom as my garage floor is 0.5" higher than my driveway, this causes them to not sit properly on the lift and ramp movement when loading a car, causing them to break.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:29 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Thanks @SToronto , I plan to call bendpak tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:24 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim

I use the same R Ramps. Tack a piece of 3/4 ply to a short piece of 2x6 to fill the gap.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:50 PM
ROCKSTAR.
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Race Ramps now makes application specifically for 4-post lifts. Got a pair for my lift and i love them. Easy to use and store.

https://racetoolsdirect.com/product/...ps-14-w-x-5-h/

The following 2 users liked this post by ROCKSTAR.:
smiles11 (05-22-2023), Tpup (05-22-2023)
Old 04-28-2022, 04:52 PM
ROCKSTAR.
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by ROCKSTAR.:
cadster (04-30-2022), heshalosny (05-23-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 02:27 PM
tjg81296
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts

https://youtu.be/46ud60LsSL4

I run mine on 110v and it's not the fastest. You can run 220v and it will be faster.

heshalosny (05-23-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 04:04 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR.
Only 9 pounds! that's impressive. i must say, lugging around those steels ramps is not my favorite thing to do.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:08 PM
5teve
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It takes forever to lower if there is no car on it, but I imagine it would be similar for any other lift as well. With a car on the lift it lowers pretty fast. 220V will help with the speed it raises, which I believe cuts the time needed almost in half. If you are raising and lowering the car frequently (ie: multiple times per day) going 220v probably makes sense, but for occasional use 110V is fine.

Quick Reply: garage car lifts