-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

good news -- hope it's accurate
Old 07-21-2016, 01:16 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Remember, they also said GT3 would stay PDK only.....

“Naturally-aspirated we have today, and most likely we will offer versions in the future, like GT4 for example.”

MOST LIKELY......not definitely.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:53 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
Remember, they also said GT3 would stay PDK only.....

“Naturally-aspirated we have today, and most likely we will offer versions in the future, like GT4 for example.”

MOST LIKELY......not definitely.
Please take this as a big public victory for every Porsche GT enthusiast!! This isn't a wish or a possibility (despite the words), it's a firm plan that is already in place on development regardless of the corporate BS words that Achleitner is shrouding it in. The original GT4 #1 mule was a PDK-S version and very quickly, based on at the time reaction to 991 GT3's PDK, additional weight savings, lower cost point, and grassroots return was quickly switched to manual direction early (I was late to party believing they had really switched based on family bamboozling me). I was still told the option would present itself but ultimately Porsche enthusiast won and they continue to have a voice in future direction!!!! A big win for as long as they can possibly keep it going which they will stubbornly continue for many years into future. You must love the stubbornness of Germans in times like these, regulations be dammed....we know they don't care about silly diesel MPG so who cares about noise, MPG, emission standards they will play every card to continue to appeal to the real car enthusiast!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2016, 03:27 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Please take this as a big public victory for every Porsche GT enthusiast.......You must love the stubbornness of Germans in times like these, regulations be dammed....we know they don't care about silly diesel MPG so who cares about noise, MPG, emission standards they will play every card to continue to appeal to the real car enthusiast!!!!!!
I'm a "real car enthusiast" and have been since before....well, for a very long time. I swore I would never own anything but a MT sports car but now I love PDK too. I bought my 991.1 GT3 in part because I thought it might be the last of the NA GT cars but after having driven the 991.2 S and the latest Turbo S on track I was very impressed by both.

If the next GT3 is still going to be NA that's great, for now, but it would also be fun to see what Porsche could do with a properly sorted, modern turbo GT car. It might be something to look forward to, even for a real car enthusiast. Just my $.02.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:06 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Please take this as a big public victory for every Porsche GT enthusiast!! This isn't a wish or a possibility (despite the words), it's a firm plan that is already in place on development regardless of the corporate BS words that Achleitner is shrouding it in. The original GT4 #1 mule was a PDK-S version and very quickly, based on at the time reaction to 991 GT3's PDK, additional weight savings, lower cost point, and grassroots return was quickly switched to manual direction early (I was late to party believing they had really switched based on family bamboozling me). I was still told the option would present itself but ultimately Porsche enthusiast won and they continue to have a voice in future direction!!!! A big win for as long as they can possibly keep it going which they will stubbornly continue for many years into future. You must love the stubbornness of Germans in times like these, regulations be dammed....we know they don't care about silly diesel MPG so who cares about noise, MPG, emission standards they will play every card to continue to appeal to the real car enthusiast!!!!!!
I'd like to buy an NA .2GT4 with PDK-S.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

i lookd forward to buy the RS that's self driving.
i am too old and tired to drive myself.
i need to text full time and surf RL, so the next RS better drive itself and at $250k usd, it better be.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:45 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Achleitner revealed the information to Drive after being quizzed if more potent versions of the 718, such as the successors to the current Boxster Spyder and Cayman GT4, would feature the new turbocharged flat-6 engines in the latest 911 Carrera models."

“6-cylinder turbocharged engine wouldn't fit,” he said. “Naturally-aspirated we have today, and most likely we will offer versions in the future, like GT4 for example.”

Are these two paragraphs contradictory in flat out plain poor journalism, or is it just me?
Old 07-21-2016, 06:06 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
"Achleitner revealed the information to Drive after being quizzed if more potent versions of the 718, such as the successors to the current Boxster Spyder and Cayman GT4, would feature the new turbocharged flat-6 engines in the latest 911 Carrera models."

“6-cylinder turbocharged engine wouldn't fit,” he said. “Naturally-aspirated we have today, and most likely we will offer versions in the future, like GT4 for example.”

Are these two paragraphs contradictory in flat out plain poor journalism, or is it just me?
+1 NA but possible to turbocharged motor
Old 07-21-2016, 06:49 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm a "real car enthusiast" and have been since before....well, for a very long time. I swore I would never own anything but a MT sports car but now I love PDK too. I bought my 991.1 GT3 in part because I thought it might be the last of the NA GT cars but after having driven the 991.2 S and the latest Turbo S on track I was very impressed by both.

If the next GT3 is still going to be NA that's great, for now, but it would also be fun to see what Porsche could do with a properly sorted, modern turbo GT car. It might be something to look forward to, even for a real car enthusiast. Just my $.02.
My take Mike is no need to do to more cars that are like a .2 S and TTS? Both those examples are great cars namely the TTS but I for one don't see a need to have more turbos similar to what's already available? For those that like turbos there are many varieties to choose from now and in future so please leave NA alone in GT3/GT4 and just keep improving them and giving us choice of tranny which is current plan. Just a simple guys 2 cents
Old 07-21-2016, 07:32 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Very well said!
Old 07-21-2016, 08:37 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts

Always good to hear latest comments from someone at PAG, but didn't Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser say the GTs would stay NA previously. Can't recall the publication- interview in Pano or Excellence maybe? Think he's the highest ranking position to say this.

Edit- March 2015 Panorama #696 interview by Pete Stout. Stout: Do you see a normally aspirated engine as part of the GT3's DNA? Walliser: As long as I'm responsible, it will be normally aspirated.

Last edited by zedcat; 07-21-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:06 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha

The source is an auto section in a major Australian News Paper (Sydney Morning Herald). I seriously doubt that Porsche would give world exclusive news to them - they're primarily a car classified services.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:31 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

I agree I would like to see what Porsche could do for a GT turbo car but it will never sound like a NA car and that will bother me.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
I agree I would like to see what Porsche could do for a GT turbo car but it will never sound like a NA car and that will bother me.
But they have been around for a while, GT2 and GT2RS. No need for Porsche to put Turbo engines in GT3 and GT3RS.

Quick Reply: One more confirmation that GT cars will stay NA