Sponsored by:

One more confirmation that GT cars will stay NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...ws&date=091317

I'd say this interview with Wallisser gives us the welcome indication that the way forward with GT cars Will by hybrid. Having driven 918 on road and track quite extensively, and experiencing the joy of electric torque-fill combined with the sound and high revving characteristics of NA... i believe this is the way Togo. I think if they can just lighten the batterypack, then maybe, just maybe the next GT3 will be an NA Hybrid.. it's just the logical progression because they aren't going turbo for anything. A hybrid GT3 would be off the charts in every sense.

Fingers crossed the 918 spyder technology trickles down as planned.

Last edited by CAlexio; 09-13-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Turbocharging is the lesser of two evils. A high revving, low boost six could keep the GT3 competitive, as well as keep a lever between the seats.

Of course the best solution would be combining Jet Ignition and Freevalve tech.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

I'd say this interview with Wallisser gives us the welcome indication that the way forward with GT cars Will by hybrid.
If it comes down to turbo or hybrid, I will gladly take the hybrid. Please keep the high revving NA sound matched with the silent torque fill of an electric motor.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:01 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
If it comes down to turbo or hybrid, I will gladly take the hybrid. Please keep the high revving NA sound matched with the silent torque fill of an electric motor.
100% agree, NA + Hybrid = All the drama and all of the performance, there's a lot of rumours the 488 replacement is going that route.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:39 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 304 Posts

I'd say this interview with Wallisser gives us the welcome indication that the way forward with GT cars Will by hybrid. Having driven 918 on road and track quite extensively, and experiencing the joy of electric torque-fill combined with the sound and high revving characteristics of NA... i believe this is the way Togo. I think if they can just lighten the batterypack, then maybe, just maybe the next GT3 will be an NA Hybrid.. it's just the logical progression because they aren't going turbo for anything. A hybrid GT3 would be off the charts in every sense.

This is EXACTLY what Walliser told me when i asked him hypothetically in 2020 would he rather a GT3RS that was turbo or one that was hybrid/NA. He immediately said hybrid. Seems this is the way forward for GT3 to keep the NA motor and would make up for the lack of low end torque compared to say an AMG GTR.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,019 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
This is EXACTLY what Walliser told me when i asked him hypothetically in 2020 would he rather a GT3RS that was turbo or one that was hybrid/NA. He immediately said hybrid. Seems this is the way forward for GT3 to keep the NA motor and would make up for the lack of low end torque compared to say an AMG GTR.
Hopefully, they won't connect the electric motor(s) to the front wheels (like 918). La Ferrari type of application (where it connects to the RWD transmission of an NA motor) would be preferable. Hope it doesn't gain much weight...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 53 Posts

I think a NA/Hybrid GT3 would be sick, I just wonder what the Hybrid part of it would do to the base price. That is the only reason for not going Hybrid.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,019 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
That is the only reason for not going Hybrid.
And the added weight and the loss of Manual gearbox option...
Old 09-13-2017, 10:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

It already has with the Panamera Turbo S-E Hybrid.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 AM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
I think a NA/Hybrid GT3 would be sick, I just wonder what the Hybrid part of it would do to the base price. That is the only reason for not going Hybrid.
Bullsh1t. You'd lose the manual, and almost all steering feel.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I think I fully agree with FSW and CAlexio. NA hybrid GT3 is the lesser of all evils. Pure NA is out of the question. Say they can stretch it to 600 bhp pure NA, that still isn't enough to bridge the gap to the competion that will have moved on to 700-800 bhp in a few years ...
Now if you can keep the weight down and get the packaging in check, hybrid could be the addition to the equation the GT3 needs to keep it's NA engine, it's aggressive NA feel and still be somewhat competitive ...
Old 09-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Argon_
Pro

Hybridization is a cop out. It's a way to avoid having to develop something greater.

Something like a 48v electric supercharger, IVC, or Jet Ignition. Any of these would allow the GT3 to stay competitive both on the track, and in the eyes of those obnoxious regulators.

Independent valve control would be the ideal situation. Imagine a throttle body and camshaft-less GT3 engine. full control of the valves would allow things like Atkinson cycle operation, and or cylinder deactivation. Either automatically or with the turn of a dial.

The GT3 could keep its glorious N/A, placate the regulators, and get even more responsive. All without losing the feel and connection that makes it so prized.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
FSW has told me the same thing in the past, and I think it's pretty obvious that that is the future, with the timeline subject to performance hybrid weight and cost.

I was at the WEC race at COTA and got to watch the final 30 minutes of the race with the team in the LMP1 pit garage - an amazing experience. I talked to Fritz Enzinger about the Formula E project after the podium and he echoed statements made by Michael Steiner in the past, that one of the reasons they are moving to FE is for marketing of the Mission E and "other" electrified performance vehicles.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:09 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Agree that hybrid GT3 makes sense, eventually. However as Porsche recently gave up trying to make a hybrid 992.1 carrera, because they couldn't get it to handle well due to all the weight, I don't expect the 992.1 GT3 to be hybrid, just a 4.0 NA engine with higher HP.

The engineering isn't there yet to make a hybrid sports car that is both lightweight and sporty. Alex, you previously commented on how much more you enjoyed driving Mclaren LT than the P1 because of all the weight you were dragging around with the P1.
The principle is the same with Porsche GT cars.

NA Porsche 991.2 GT3/RS are still in huge demand now.
Even if with the 992 generation the power is less than the competition, people will still line up to buy NA 992 GT3/RS as they will be the only reliable, trackworthy, lightweight, NA sports cars on the planet, (and only one with manual option).

People have been predicting the end of purely NA GT cars from Porsche for 5 years. It hasn't happened yet and I don't think will happen for at least another 8 years.

Last edited by Drifting; 09-19-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:11 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Good points man, I just can't wrap my head around how they'll keep the NA GT's ahead of the regular 911's without turbo or hybrid.. and if gt brand becomes distinguished by its NA engines... then what's left?

Quick Reply: One more confirmation that GT cars will stay NA