SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

CJ +1 https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/bigok.gif
Old 07-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

I sure hope Porsche cares about resale. To say they don't is ridiculous to me. One of the main reasons Porsche is where it is right now is because of resale value. That doesn't mean they are not going to incrementally improve/advance their cars. The dealers care even more about resale and they will definitely not stand by while that is damaged. Look at Mclaren. If you come out with a significantly better car every year the old ones are difficult to sell without taking a huge hit. Also, why has Porsche spent so many years protecting the 911 from the Cayman and why do they only add 10 or 15 hp. They have to leave room for the future.

I don't think the next GT3 will be turbo, but I'm very curious to see how they move forward.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:01 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche is where it is now because of Cayenne, Panamera and Macan. Check the resale values of these cars.

Protecting the 911 from Cayman was always about the sales of new cars. Never about resale values of what already accounted to profit.

Next GT3 will have the same Nordschleife time as this generation RS has, maybe 1-2 sec better. It's a numbers game. Latest should be greatest.

VAG doesn't play in McLaren league. It plays in BMW and Daimler league. Check the resale values of Ms and AMGs. Check if sales of new Ms and AMGs are hurt by the resale values of 5-10 yo cars.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:16 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by levd
Porsche is where it is now because of Cayenne, Panamera and Macan. Check the resale values of these cars.

Protecting the 911 from Cayman was always about the sales of new cars. Never about resale values of what already accounted to profit.

Next GT3 will have the same Nordschleife time as this generation RS has, maybe 1-2 sec better. It's a numbers game. Latest should be greatest.
Good point with respect to the Cayenne, and the Boxster for that matter, in general terms, but I was referring more to the 911 models and even more so to the very strong demand for their GT cars.

Macan residuals look to be very good and the reason their other models aren't as high is not because Porsche is building a significantly improved/different one every six months, it's the general market trend for these types of vehicles. That was the point I was trying to make.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:19 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all about business, sales and market capitalisation. None of these is about caring about resale value of what's already sold once. Resale values do not contribute to balance sheets.

5 yo Macan will cost a bit less than 5 yo Cayenne. No way Macan will keep it's value any better than Cayenne, once it's not "latest" any more.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:21 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

It's all about business, sales and market capitalisation. None of these is about caring about resale value of what's already sold once. Resale values do not contribute to balance sheets.

5 yo Macan will cost less than 5 yo Cayenne.
^+1 Exactly!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

VAG doesn't play in McLaren league. It plays in BMW and Daimler league. Check the resale values of Ms and AMGs. Check if sales of new Ms and AMGs are hurt by the resale values of 5-10 yo cars.
Exactly. That Salomondrin character is more concerned about the resale value of his GT3 4.0 and incoming 911r than PAG actually making a more accessible manual GT (NA) variant that enthusiasts have been asking for years.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Of coarse it's mostly about business and money but a big part of that is protecting your brand. Past and future.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:47 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
I sure hope Porsche cares about resale. To say they don't is ridiculous to me. One of the main reasons Porsche is where it is right now is because of resale value. That doesn't mean they are not going to incrementally improve/advance their cars. The dealers care even more about resale and they will definitely not stand by while that is damaged. Look at Mclaren. If you come out with a significantly better car every year the old ones are difficult to sell without taking a huge hit. Also, why has Porsche spent so many years protecting the 911 from the Cayman and why do they only add 10 or 15 hp. They have to leave room for the future.

I don't think the next GT3 will be turbo, but I'm very curious to see how they move forward.
Resale values were not even close to what they are today back in December 2013. After the PDK only GT3 announcement everything shot up, air cooled, GT cars, even regular 911 manual cars. Porsche was not managing resale by any means. They almost went backrupt and introduced the Boxter.

What keeps them afloat now is the Cayenne and Macan and Panamera sales. Resale of those cars are not comparable to the 911 resale percentages.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 997s07
Resale values were not even close to what they are today back in December 2013. After the PDK only GT3 announcement everything shot up, air cooled, GT cars, even regular 911 manual cars. Porsche was not managing resale by any means. They almost went backrupt and introduced the Boxter.

What keeps them afloat now is the Cayenne and Macan and Panamera sales. Resale of those cars are not comparable to the 911 resale percentages.
I don't disagree. I'm not saying they actively manage resale values either, or have significant impact on the global economy. I'm saying I think they fully consider past and present cars when developing future cars and this relates to the GT3.2 when they are still building R's and RS's.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

BMW sells plenty of M cars and Benz sells plenty of AMG, to people with more money than sense.
However there are lots of people like me would never buy either car because of the catastrophic depreciation of those two brands.

I'll stick with Porsche GT cars thank you very much.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:09 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't disagree. I'm not saying they actively manage resale values either, or have significant impact on the global economy. I'm saying I think they fully consider past and present cars when developing future cars and this relates to the GT3.2 when they are still building R's and RS's.
All of the R's and RS's will be built by the time the GT3.2. They will still hold their value. The 991.1 GT3 might not hold its value as well because the 991.2 will be better, but that is expected. Porsche isn't going to come out with new cars that aren't as good. Current owners can't expect Porsche to make decisions based solely on resale value. GT cars already hold value better than any other car out there. If people don't make huge profits on the R's and RS's, oh well, at least they won't depreciate a lot. Maybe Porsche is punishing all the speculators that are buying cars solely for profit instead of enjoyment .
Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is validity in what you are getting at. To some degree, Porsche does care about resale value to maintain brand value. If they wouldn't, at some point no one would want to drive the badge which most of their cars are shared with (except 911, Boxter, Cayman, and special 918s). At the end of the day, Porsche is a business, and like any business, new is better, and what ever is new is better than old.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

the salient point on how they (likely) think about resale is that they need to protect it to a reasonable extent such that their cars remain desirable for the long-term. nobody is suggesting they're going to open up the floodgates and provide an additional 10,000 allocations for 991R's, but by the same token, they can't remain hamstrung by privileged ownership groups who were able to get their hands on cars for below market prices (I say below market because of the "market adjustments" people are willing to pay over and above MSRP for the RS and R's).
Old 07-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Well if the 2017 GT3 is manual, NA, 4.0, I'm going to buy one and CXX some green stripes, take a sawsall to the wing, and have a custom door sill that says "992 of 991".

Oh, and PTS.

Quick Reply: GT3.2 to have a 6spd? and a 4.0?