Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the 991.2 GT3/RS is a turbo, are you still a buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:36 AM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Prefer the GT3 RS to remain an NA engine, but turbo seems to be the way it is going...I'll still be a buyer regardless, though.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:11 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it comes with a nice engine note, I'm on board.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:18 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Depends on what a buyer is looking for. If you want to have the fastest car on track - most will go with the the turbo. If instead, you just enjoy driving your car at speed on the track and don't care about ultimate pace and wave buys many will stay with their NA cars. If you like the fact that your car is under warranty, most will go with the turbo. Remains to be seen how well the 9a1 engine will hold up long term - with alot of track miles.

Last edited by brake dust; 07-14-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:22 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I will try and stay NA for as long as humanly possible.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 AM
Catmagog
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts

However much I love the NA cars (RS and Speciale) the simple fact remains that the 488 and the 675LT are stupendous cars. For Porsche to compete with the 488 and 675LT it's quite simple with a GT2 RS however very costly with NA GT3 RS.

Anyone who says it doesnt matter is kidding themselves. Porsche can't be competitive in racing as well as performance bragging rights with the NA engine.

With the P14 and 488 'Speciale' coming next year the gap will widen even further and NA cars simply won't be competitive
Old 07-14-2016, 10:08 AM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, is there a reason Porsche doesn't just make a new, bigger, "lightweight" NA engine? I get how turbos work and the fact they make a lot of power with minimal weight added, but I can't believe with the demand/desire for high performance NA engines, Porsche and other companies aren't pushing extremely hard to try to make NA engines the "standard". I also understand engines 101 and maybe it's just with the emissions controls and plain limitations of an NA engine that they can't make it work.

As a quick aside, I would think NA engines making a lot of power would produce a much more "stable" engine. I'd think when you start forcing compression into an engine, it requires a lot more fine tuning, but I'm probably wrong, since when you push any engine's performance, regardless of it being turboed or supercharged, it places stress on the engine.

I used to be a huge turbo fan, and had no issues with them. However, for some reason after getting a MT C2S, I felt like an NA engine is just...different, in a much better way. More interesting to me was the fact that the C2S was nowhere near the vehicle the GT3 RS was, and all of a sudden I find myself being very drawn to NA engines.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by theunitedstates
At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, is there a reason Porsche doesn't just make a new, bigger, "lightweight" NA engine? I get how turbos work and the fact they make a lot of power with minimal weight added, but I can't believe with the demand/desire for high performance NA engines, Porsche and other companies aren't pushing extremely hard to try to make NA engines the "standard". I also understand engines 101 and maybe it's just with the emissions controls and plain limitations of an NA engine that they can't make it work.
Lamborghini seems to be taking this approach.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/la...-news-details/
Old 07-14-2016, 12:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, is there a reason Porsche doesn't just make a new, bigger, "lightweight" NA engine?
It is mostly because the current fuel consumption and emissions tests give an advantage to smaller displacement turbocharged motors. Even though these tests are not always reflective of the true consumption and emissions in practice (i.e. turbo motors suck plenty of fuel when driven in anger)...

Regulations of consumption and emissions are very strict in Europe and getting more so....
Old 07-14-2016, 02:12 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Nope. I'd just keep my GT4.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:53 PM
dannyb
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Liter
A lot of things seem to point to it going turbo , but the flip side is how the company does away with the GT3 / GT3RS in favor of say just a GT2RS ? How could a GT3RS be a turbo and still be different than a GT2RS ? I can't see them making one model in significantly higher volumes in order to keep sales up and can't see them abandoning the potential sales by eliminating models either. With all the many variations on the 911 platform I think somehow we'll see another round of normally aspirated GT3 / GT3RS .
Lets not forget what GT3 and GT2 mean. They are based on class rules, power to weight, aero etc.

As a result, the GT3 and GT2 could both be turbo'ed and the names would still make sense. Obviously the GT2 having a much lower power to weight ratio.

Last edited by dannyb; 07-14-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 07-14-2016, 04:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

That.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyb

As a result, the GT3 and GT2 could both be turbo'ed and the names would still make sense. Obviously the GT2 having a much lower power to weight ratio.
Sort like how the 991.2 Carrera is turbo-charged and the 991.2 (and 991.1) Turbo is, uhm, also turbo-charged.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Sort like how the 991.2 Carrera is turbo-charged and the 991.2 (and 991.1) Turbo is, uhm, also turbo-charged.
That's why they're changing the name of the 991.2 Turbo to the Turbo Turbo. But that's only for the Turbo, not the turbo.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:30 PM
991gtR
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if its a trubo its a gt2 XD.
gt3 and gt2 are very loosely based on racing specs. Also most race PRo race classes dont use those classes anymore. they weigh nearly the same. so really if they make the gt3 a turbo then one of the 2 cars would go bye bye .
How can they make a gt2 much lower power to weight than an already lightweight rs. realistically the difference is ones a turbo and ones not. few body panels and thats it...

Would less people by it? I'm hearing people are scared of a hi HP RWD Turbo XD . I hope so . maybe i can get a PTS that way XD

You think they will come out with a gt2 and then a year later a gt3 turbo. the RS will have the same engine as the gt3 991.2 XD

The only ways is to make the gt3 rs (turbo) a common car and the gt2 rs a collectors car . basically the same car one has numbers
Old 07-14-2016, 05:36 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
That's why they're changing the name of the 991.2 Turbo to the Turbo Turbo. But that's only for the Turbo, not the turbo.
maybe the next Porsche supercar will be called the "Porsche Porsche" or the "Porsche LaPorsche"

similar question, if your next girlfriend has breast implants are you willing to marry her?

Quick Reply: If the 991.2 GT3/RS is a turbo, are you still a buyer?