Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:03 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

I personally would rather have the gt3rs over the gt2 .... I’m so over turbo cars just add boost to make hp all the while adding lag. (All turbo cars have lag)
The engine in the 3rs is gonna be the last of its kind, it’s so incredible and I really never said while driving that the car is lacking power. I think some MAGAZINES got 10.9 1/4 since when is a 10 second car slow?

also this is my first NA engine in a long time I’m probably gonna change my mind in 6 months and go back on the turbo train...
Old 02-22-2019, 11:42 PM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
Any power gains from the GMG 2RS exhaust? Any loss in low end torque? I struggle with removing a titanium exhaust and replacing it with a stainless steel one - but I'm looking for ways to rationalize the GMG exhaust purchase 😉
GMG dyno shows +25whp increase in low end torque. I got it installed when the car was still new so didnt get enough seat time for comparison but it pulls hard in first and second gear and with wheel spin. You need to hear it in person it will change your mind
Old 02-22-2019, 11:42 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Speaking of sounds, still trying to familiarize myself with those of the 2RS.

Do any owners have an actuator type sound coming from under the engine after shutting the car off?
It almost sounds like the exhaust valves are flipping but that's not it cause they don't move when it does it.
It happens almost immediately after I shut off the car, and then does it a few more times over the next few minutes.
Even if I don't start the car, if I open the door which turns on the electrics, when I close the door it will do it a few times over the next few minutes.

Anyone else have this and/or have any idea what it is?
It was not present in my other 991 GT cars.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAPj-HWeWAY&
Mine does it. No idea what it is.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:04 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
I personally would rather have the gt3rs over the gt2 .... I’m so over turbo cars just add boost to make hp all the while adding lag. (All turbo cars have lag)
Not true. I've experienced no lag in my Carrera T. And I've driven the 2RS and there's no lag. Porsche has done an amazing job with these newest turbo-charged animals. Not knocking you for your GT3 RS preference (to each his own) but to make a sweeping statement like you did is just false. Plus, no way you've driven all turbo cars, so it's kinda silly to say something like that.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:31 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

17-Mile Drive was beautiful today.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:00 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by redyps
Thanks for the reply.

I have to say that the lack of feedback and support from other rl 2RS owners is disappointing.
Most love to post pics of their cars and wait for compliments but seem wholly uninterested in sharing ownership information and help.

Must be because of all the sexing and whatnot.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:04 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018
Clearly your happy with your 3RS and that’s great but I absolutely wanted more power. Heck, I spent 6K on a full Suntek Ultra PPF on the 3RS and I thought that was going to be the car but it didn’t have enough power for me. I wanted hair on fire, ***** to the wall fast………….ergo 2RS.
Well, my Turbo S is over 700HP now and AWD, so I get my rocket sled fix too. But the difference is only apparent at higher speeds. I wanted 3RS and 2RS but came to my senses - 3 911 of the same gen is probably too much.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

I have to say that the lack of feedback and support from other rl 2RS owners is disappointing.
Most love to post pics of their cars and wait for compliments but seem wholly uninterested in sharing ownership information and help.

Must be because of all the sexing and whatnot.

It's because most 2RS owners are too afraid to drive it for fear of the dee-pree-shee-aye-shun syndrome
Old 02-23-2019, 01:27 AM
thegoat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redyps
Mine does too.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:39 AM
Dot23RS
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Dot23RS; 02-23-2019 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:39 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Guys, the 2RS is a great car no doubt and sounds great for a turbo... it’s the best turbo I have heard frankly.
I agree, the 2RS is incredibly fast and it sounds amazing, but the AMG GTR with V8 engine & twin turbo sounds so much better and wins the sound category. I own both cars and hands down AMG knows how to build amazing sounding turbos. Porsche should take a note and fix the sound on the turbo engines of 991.2 cars. They need an intervention. Mark
Old 02-23-2019, 05:11 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil

I agree, the 2RS is incredibly fast and it sounds amazing, but the AMG GTR with V8 engine & twin turbo sounds so much better and wins the sound category. I own both cars and hands down AMG knows how to build amazing sounding turbos. Porsche should take a note and fix the sound on the turbo engines of 991.2 cars. They need an intervention. Mark
Mercedes has the advantage that the AMG GT is front engined and a V8. A rear engine flat six will never sound as good (or the same) as a front engine V layout car. Can’t fight physics.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:09 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Do any owners have an actuator type sound coming from under the engine after shutting the car off?
It almost sounds like the exhaust valves are flipping but that's not it cause they don't move when it does it.
It happens almost immediately after I shut off the car, and then does it a few more times over the next few minutes.
Even if I don't start the car, if I open the door which turns on the electrics, when I close the door it will do it a few times over the next few minutes.

Thanks
Mine also makes the same noise but I am also not clear about the reason but I have a routine, that is, I shut off the car then after exiting the 2RS I lock it and that appears to stop these "electronic"? noises and hence the potential battery drain. After locking the car it's doesn't make any "electronic"? phantom noise. In fact, my routine is, park the 2RS in the garage, attach my Porsche battery tender which is conveniently positioned near the car then lock it, and it's as quiet as a church mouse after that.

Originally Posted by Derek RS
GMG dyno shows +25whp increase in low end torque. I got it installed when the car was still new so didnt get enough seat time for comparison but it pulls hard in first and second gear and with wheel spin. You need to hear it in person it will change your mind
Man that sounds real tempting............no pun intended.

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
Not true. I've experienced no lag in my Carrera T. And I've driven the 2RS and there's no lag. Porsche has done an amazing job with these newest turbo-charged animals. Not knocking you for your GT3 RS preference (to each his own) but to make a sweeping statement like you did is just false. Plus, no way you've driven all turbo cars, so it's kinda silly to say something like that.
+1, absolutely agree.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:25 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

@redyps, beautiful pictures; thanks for sharing. My wife and I lived in SF for 4 years and we loved every minute of it. We visit SF a couple of times a year...............envious, we would love to be able to drive the Pacific coast highway in our 2RS with it's breathe taking views.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:25 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAPj-HWeWAY&
IMO it's VTG actuators moving from set (engine running) position to fully open (IIRC) position when electrics is connected off. They'll move again when you switcg power on again, even without starting the engine. This actuator movement can be seen from below (at least in 997s).
My car works like that.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS