Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoat
Off topic, but wanted to see what people would do. I took my 991.1 GT3RS in for a check engine light. Turned out to be a thermostat that wasn't fully opening. Not a big issue. Took the dealer 39 days to fix the problem. They first replaced the thermostat and then, after further consultation with Porsche technical, replaced the thermostat housing, various seals and the temperature sensor. This all takes 39 days. I went to pick up the car today and learned that during this time, they put roughly 200 miles on the car. I immediately squawked at the mileage (the car only had 2700 miles when I dropped it off) and they said that is what it took to diagnose, test, etc.

Am I right to be upset? I talked to the service director and he assured me no joyrides and that they keep mileage documentation along the way while it is in service. I asked him for those records. He said he couldn't immediately give them to me, but that he could have them pulled (seemed like a convenient answer if you were going to create some documentation that goes along with your story). He also offered me "some compensation" for the trouble. I didn't ask what that was and said that we should examine his records first. I thought it was odd that he immediately jumped to compensation for no apparent issue.

My guess is that he or the GM or some other manager took the car home as their driver a few times while it was there for 39 days. If that's true, then they're never going to fess up to anything.

Suggestions? Am I nuts? Should I just go directly to Porsche NA on this?
That should take a few hours to fix, and ten miles of driving to test. I'd be enraged by the 39 day downtime, let alone the mileage.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

I would ask for dated documentation, including parts ordered, the tech has very detailed actions that must go in the computer especially warranty work. If nothing else Porsche would want to know all details. The fact that they offered you "compensation" real quick is very telling. I have heard of new engine swaps in 2 weeks or so. I had a Mercedes dealer put 200 miles on my car over a weekend and they got to keep the car. Somewhere they are lying.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:27 PM
thegoat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
I would ask for dated documentation, including parts ordered, the tech has very detailed actions that must go in the computer especially warranty work. If nothing else Porsche would want to know all details. The fact that they offered you "compensation" real quick is very telling. I have heard of new engine swaps in 2 weeks or so. I had a Mercedes dealer put 200 miles on my car over a weekend and they got to keep the car. Somewhere they are lying.
Wow. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:56 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,028 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Off topic, but wanted to see what people would do. I took my 991.1 GT3RS in for a check engine light. Turned out to be a thermostat that wasn't fully opening. Not a big issue. Took the dealer 39 days to fix the problem. They first replaced the thermostat and then, after further consultation with Porsche technical, replaced the thermostat housing, various seals and the temperature sensor. This all takes 39 days. I went to pick up the car today and learned that during this time, they put roughly 200 miles on the car. I immediately squawked at the mileage (the car only had 2700 miles when I dropped it off) and they said that is what it took to diagnose, test, etc.

Am I right to be upset? I talked to the service director and he assured me no joyrides and that they keep mileage documentation along the way while it is in service. I asked him for those records. He said he couldn't immediately give them to me, but that he could have them pulled (seemed like a convenient answer if you were going to create some documentation that goes along with your story). He also offered me "some compensation" for the trouble. I didn't ask what that was and said that we should examine his records first. I thought it was odd that he immediately jumped to compensation for no apparent issue.

My guess is that he or the GM or some other manager took the car home as their driver a few times while it was there for 39 days. If that's true, then they're never going to fess up to anything.

200 miles? That is insane, it's like Ferris Bueller on steroids. Someone was driving that car just about every day, whether it was the GM or someone in the service department. I think you should be calling PCNA to complain.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:17 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 95 Posts

Forget about being upset, I'd just Lemon Law the car and they have to buy it back. (Unless you love the car)
Old 10-17-2018, 12:09 AM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonA85
IMHO, A 3-Pedal GT3/RS and a 991 GT2RS is a perfect 2 car garage :-)
Old 10-17-2018, 01:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

is this a tiny dealer?
this is a know issue since 997
some cars it will happen many many MANY times.
I speak from experience.
trakcar had same issue, but both are on 997
I did have same on 991.1 as well
the PIWIS will show the fault.
you replace themostat and/or valve
there's a procedure as to which to replace first or to do both.
it's like a decision tree
they don't have to drive the car to know.
you can removed the valve and test it.
I know b/c I had like 10x on my cars.
once new part goes on, the first 100 miles it may come right back then they fix again. if you passed 200 miles with no issues. then its likely good
they DO NOT need to test drive.
in fact most of modern car issues need not test drive to figure them out.

and 200 mile?
why not 20,000 miles.
when do they stop?
Old 10-17-2018, 02:08 AM
thegoat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reno Porsche - they're small.

Maybe I should be servicing my cars at Niello?

Appreciate the feedback, mooty.

I've reached out to Porsche corporate via form submission on its website. I have an incoming 2RS in February. I suspect my relationship with this dealer goes to crap over this. I was probably done with them anyway given their recent announcement of ADM on future GT cars. Also, have recently started tracking a Wolf. Driving a racecar seems to be curing that GT car itch, so the 2RS may have been my last anyway.

I'm not sure what an acceptable solution is to this problem. I guess I could start a new thread.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. ​​​​​​​I'll let this forum return to its regularly scheduled GT2RS programming.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:01 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Three years free service in writing, but should have demanded it as you blow up into manager’s face right after you found out. May still work. If he comes back with two, take them. No need to throw a long relationship into crap if this was their first infraction. You can be pissed off and firm about your expectations of acceptable behavior, yet still give them a chance — if you want to. May have been better to work it out with the manager first before going to corporate. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:25 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Somebody cruising around southeast Mass today in a black GT2 RS. Looks and sounds pretty good.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:31 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Really?

What a joke. This guy thinks the distilled water tank in the frunk is for coolant. Unbelievable how these unqualified reviewers keep coming out of the woodwork. And, it's also unbelievable that people actually loan their cars to this guy. l love the way he is leaning all over some other guys car as he talks about it. Do people really follow this guys attempts to drive other people's cars? He asks for more volunteers in the beginning. I wonder how many people are lined up to hand over the keys to their prized babies..
Old 10-23-2018, 06:45 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
What a joke. This guy thinks the distilled water tank in the frunk is for coolant. Unbelievable how these unqualified reviewers keep coming out of the woodwork. And, it's also unbelievable that people actually loan their cars to this guy. l love the way he is leaning all over some other guys car as he talks about it. Do people really follow this guys attempts to drive other people's cars? He asks for more volunteers in the beginning. I wonder how many people are lined up to hand over the keys to their prized babies..
DeMuro’s one spot lacking is that he does not understand mechanicals all that well. I noticed the coolant mistake too and emailed him () When he was still in philly, I preoffered him my GT3 when I thought I was getting it in December, but he moved to San Diego. He did email me back. If he comes back, he can drive my touring (he used to travel a lot for cars and maintains a list of cars and where they are). He now does mostly business cars looking for free advertisements, at least for new cars.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:46 PM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
+1
Old 10-23-2018, 10:36 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad just took delivery of his 2RS today at the PEC in ATL. I was surprised to see it came with the mag wheels. It’s going straight to Jean-Claude at Detailed Designs for pint correction, PPF and ceramic coating, then it will make a stop in Chicago over the winter and then head home to Bozeman for the long term. A question I should have asked a while ago as I originally spec’d it for him, has anyone experienced dye transfer from jeans/pants to the alcantara seats? The plan is for the car to be driven, so just want to see if there is a way to be preventative if that’s going to be an issue.

in any event, my dad was sending me pics and texts all day raving about the experience. Apprently Porsche really pulls out all the stops for these deliveries. Here’s a few quick pics. Will take more after it’s detailed etc.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS