Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is Andreas Preuninger quote confirming 991.2 GT3 w/ manual option?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,034 Likes on 5,242 Posts
Default Where is Andreas Preuninger quote confirming 991.2 GT3 w/ manual option?

Can someone point me to it? Please.

The actual quote.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:13 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're going to be waiting for a while.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:18 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...gearbox-option
Old 03-05-2016, 09:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,034 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
Thanks but there's no quote in that article. Which is the article every other publication appears to cite to.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:28 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It was a joke. Remember this is the interweb.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:36 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 256 Posts

Yeah listening the to Evo video for the 911R and watching him say it vs some quote, I wouldn't think there is a manual option in the future especially as they push it faster.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

That's as close as you are going to get to a direct quote. That said, in some cases it's not wise to assume when it comes to Porsche predictions but in this case it's a no brainer IMO. Why? Because more money for Porsche and nobody creates a manual for a new car to only put it in 991 cars...

Straight from "my guy" at the dealer who ran into the "cleaning lady" while have breakfast at the Waffle House in Atlanta...
Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the quote exists. He says clearly in this Evo video, starting around the 2:00 minute mark that "for people that want to change the cogs themselves, it works on the street but doesn't make sense when you're looking for the best and most capable track car, so we had to follow a different route there."

Old 03-05-2016, 09:57 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
I don't think the quote exists. He says clearly in this Evo video, starting around the 2:00 minute mark that "for people that want to change the cogs themselves, it works on the street but doesn't make sense when you're looking for the best and most capable track car, so we had to follow a different route there."

Porsche 911 R exclusive. The purest 911 ever? - YouTube
To split strings, he was mentioning the RS I believe.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Getting to know quite a few people here,not personally,but through their posts,I find very interesting the sudden concern whether a manual transmission option will be offered or not in the new GT3. Why?
If you are happy with your present GT3 with the PDK-S transmission and knowing 100% that it will be offered in the new car,why would you even care?
And yes,I am fully aware of the OP's views. But there are many others in the same position. Again,why do you care so much?! I wouldn't if I were in your position. Why do you care a manual is slower? Are you selfish and don't want others to enjoy their choices? I hope not.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

The .2 GT3 will have a Manual option. Why is this such a revelation?

Think this thru- how much money is the 991R over the 991 GT3 MSRP. How many 2014 GT3 engines were replaced and the cost. Add it up- they are close to even on paper now
Old 03-05-2016, 10:06 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
That's as close as you are going to get to a direct quote. That said, in some cases it's not wise to assume when it comes to Porsche predictions but in this case it's a no brainer IMO. Why? Because more money for Porsche and nobody creates a manual for a new car to only put it in 991 cars...

Straight from "my guy" at the dealer who ran into the "cleaning lady" while have breakfast at the Waffle House in Atlanta...
+1. He's also quoted saying that there should be more 'enthusiast based' cars all depending on the success of the 911R.. Maybe the 991.2 GT3 is the first step in that direction whereby they begin to standardise the gearbox across this new niche range of cars? Maybe that's far fetched, I don't know. Adding to what you already said, look at the GT4 and R, already big money + demand in it for them.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be right. I could see the 6sp manual in the next 991 GTS variant, but the GT3 comes alive and produces the earned media opportunities on the track, with track times. Will Porsche accept a 4th place finish in lap times considering the competition from Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes track oriented road cars? If the brand proposition is winning, Porsche would be smart to allow the PDK technology to achieve this objective and to allow enthusiasts to experience manually changing the gears on a GTS with higher HP or other 911 models. I just can't see that decision reversed, considering the high adoption rate of the PDK. Who knows, maybe an optional item like you say.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

I watched the video again and, with regard to gearbox choices, AP mentions the 991R and the "GT cars" but not the RS specifically.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Getting to know quite a few people here,not personally,but through their posts,I find very interesting the sudden concern whether a manual transmission option will be offered or not in the new GT3. Why?
If you are happy with your present GT3 with the PDK-S transmission and knowing 100% that it will be offered in the new car,why would you even care?
And yes,I am fully aware of the OP's views. But there are many others in the same position. Again,why do you care so much?! I wouldn't if I were in your position. Why do you care a manual is slower? Are you selfish and don't want others to enjoy their choices? I hope not.
I, for one, have no personal stake in whether the next GT3 has a MT or not. Journalists and other interested parties are making assumptions, and they may even be correct, but the OP was asking for the specific quote from AP that has been referred to repeatedly and that confirms those assumptions. Seems like a fair request, and one wouldn't have to be concerned or selfish to ask it....just curious.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:20 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/gene...t-department#2

Quick Reply: Where is Andreas Preuninger quote confirming 991.2 GT3 w/ manual option?