Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is Andreas Preuninger quote confirming 991.2 GT3 w/ manual option?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016 | 10:22 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Guy's, let's just all relax. What is wrong in offering both, PDK S and MT? If you want a MT go for it, you want a PDK S, go for it. No foul, no harm. Why are we arguing about it? PAG will figure it out.
Old 03-05-2016 | 10:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I, for one, have no personal stake in whether the next GT3 has a MT or not. Journalists and other interested parties are making assumptions, and they may even be correct, but the OP was asking for the specific quote from AP that has been referred to repeatedly and that confirms those assumptions. Seems like a fair request, and one wouldn't have to be concerned or selfish to ask it....just curious.
Mike,I completely understand. But let's be fair : if one has spent more than 10 min around here since March 1st,they would get the idea where the rumor is coming from... I'm sorry I was being too forward,but let's not hide between transparent curtains... AP has never said a manual is coming point blank,but it's likely at this point. I think there's more to this " sudden concern " and I'm trying to figure out why...that's all...no harm done.
Old 03-05-2016 | 10:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bronson7
Guy's, let's just all relax. What is wrong in offering both, PDK S and MT? If you want a MT go for it, you want a PDK S, go for it. No foul, no harm. Why are we arguing about it? PAG will figure it out.
Well said Bronson. I certainly have no intention of arguing,but I'd like to know if it makes any difference to some whether a manual option is offered. And if it does,what is that concern? Fair question,right?
Old 03-05-2016 | 10:42 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
Well said Bronson. I certainly have no intention of arguing,but I'd like to know if it makes any difference to some whether a manual option is offered. And if it does,what is that concern? Fair question,right?
More choices are always better for consumers, why would anyone take issue with an optional gearbox? Those yearning for a manual, which have a .1 could look forward to a new build!
Old 03-05-2016 | 10:42 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
You might be right. I could see the 6sp manual in the next 991 GTS variant, but the GT3 comes alive and produces the earned media opportunities on the track, with track times. Will Porsche accept a 4th place finish in lap times considering the competition from Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes track oriented road cars? If the brand proposition is winning, Porsche would be smart to allow the PDK technology to achieve this objective and to allow enthusiasts to experience manually changing the gears on a GTS with higher HP or other 911 models. I just can't see that decision reversed, considering the high adoption rate of the PDK. Who knows, maybe an optional item like you say.
Totally agree. Would be nice as an option though. There is obviously, enough of a massive demand for 6 or 7 speed manuals for Porsche to make the case. They've already made ~1000 units that are about to be used with the 911R anyways, why not apply it to the GT3 and future enthusiast models to make even more money? All they have to do is just to make sure the GT3 press cars come with PDK-S for the group tests
Old 03-05-2016 | 11:03 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
Totally agree. Would be nice as an option though. There is obviously, enough of a massive demand for 6 or 7 speed manuals for Porsche to make the case. They've already made ~1000 units that are about to be used with the 911R anyways, why not apply it to the GT3 and future enthusiast models to make even more money? All they have to do is just to make sure the GT3 press cars come with PDK-S for the group tests
It would be a nice option. I suppose it comes down to the brand strategy of the GT division for the next generation 911. Is the GT3 simply a line extension of the 911, and should have many options, including gearbox? Or is the positioning different? Superior technology for the most capable of track oriented, road capable, sports cars? Porsche should be able to manage the production GT3 line with a 6sp without increasing production cost, the question is what is a GT3s place in the future? IMO, it's first and foremost a road car and should have the option. Keep the RS PDK. A 911 is a fantastic manual gearbox sports car, but at some point it will vanish completely.
Old 03-05-2016 | 11:12 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Assuming there is a .2 MT and knowing 911R is $185K, one could assume the .2 GT3 could easily reach $200K with the wing, etc and who knows what the RS would cost. The R was a set up to increase the cost from $135K to $200K. no?
Old 03-05-2016 | 11:12 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

What if the manual comes at the cost of a turbo.....☔️
Old 03-05-2016 | 11:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doubleurx
What if the manual comes at the cost of a turbo.....☔️
I personally wouldn't buy it Turbo even it came with a manual...
Old 03-05-2016 | 11:16 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link...

A couple quotes that I particularly like.

“We have no decision on going turbocharged,” Preuninger tells us.

“I think it would be the smart and right move to stay with normally aspirated engines for the GT cars for the future.”

He confirmed that motorsport applications have proved that much more power can be extracted from the 4.0-litre engine in the GT3 RS, but his engineers won’t be going nuts.

“There is still meat left in that engine,” he says. “But don’t expect the next RS to be a 600bhp car. There’s a certain limit of adding power. Make it lighter [instead], make it feel better.”
Old 03-05-2016 | 11:36 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

The top gear article is very useful.

My takeaways
1- while the entire rest of the Porsche line goes turbo, the true enthusiast cars, which are made in smaller numbers for us purists, will stay NA, specifically the GT3, RS, GT4, and the Boxster Spyder.
2- as AP also said at Rennsport, the .2GT3 will have a manual option, while the .2 RS will stay only PDK-S to chase lap times and magazine competitions with other brands.

3- he clearly recognizes that the current 7 speed gearbox in the 991 Carrera isn't that good. This is likely part of what prompted the R&D for the 6 speed in the R, (with proper low gearing).
This the gearbox that is going in the next GT3 and I expect could be adapted for use in the next GT4, as the long gearing of the 6 speed used from the regular Caymans/Boxsters is the primary weakness right now of the GT4.
Old 03-05-2016 | 11:45 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

I agree, it's a fair question. Let's all hope we have both options then everyone should be happy, get what they want. I think PAG see's the writing on the wall...$$$$
Old 03-05-2016 | 11:46 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Brandon_
Thanks for the link... A couple quotes that I particularly like. “We have no decision on going turbocharged,” Preuninger tells us. “I think it would be the smart and right move to stay with normally aspirated engines for the GT cars for the future.” He confirmed that motorsport applications have proved that much more power can be extracted from the 4.0-litre engine in the GT3 RS, but his engineers won’t be going nuts. “There is still meat left in that engine,” he says. “But don’t expect the next RS to be a 600bhp car. There’s a certain limit of adding power. Make it lighter [instead], make it feel better.”
Sounds great!
I like light and big wing. Power in 991rs is more than enough. Just make it lighter.
Old 03-05-2016 | 11:46 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Have you considered what would happen to 997 prices if the 991.2 is offered in manual?
I think many people have a vested interest in NOT seeing a MT in current gen GT3, because they are seeing a nice increase in value for their 997. However, Porsche has proven that a MT mates very nicely with a 4L NA 500hp motor with the 991R and lots of hints that the 991.2 GT3 will be offered with a MT option.
Old 03-05-2016 | 11:53 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Sounds great!
I like light and big wing. Power in 991rs is more than enough. Just make it lighter.
Agree 500 hp is enough if they can make the cars significantly lighter.

Quick Reply: Where is Andreas Preuninger quote confirming 991.2 GT3 w/ manual option?