Sponsored by:

Per Motortrend April Edition 991 GT vs GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I don't know much. However trying to help the RS by saying it needs the alignment and slicks and then it'll keep up with the ACR is hogwash. It might help, but then do you want the viper boys saying well if we get PDK we'll be even faster. When does it end? I'm a Porsche guy through and through. Have an RS coming and been through enough GT3s to have learned a little. ACR should always be faster. It's up on power and aero. However life is full of compromises and that car shouldn't be driven on the street. It's uncomfortable, ugly, poorly appointed, and on and on. You c ant have it all. You can always make an car faster. ****, I bet you could find a few shmucks to stuff an ACR engine in a Miata, but fastest does not equal having the best car. I'm ok with the ACR being a faster car. It's is. But the RS has 100 other categories crushed compared to it.
To each their own. I expect RS to be quicker than the 3, but for me the increment is not worth the price delta. I'm no Porschephile and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to call the ACR ugly and poorly appointed is surprising. I can see preferring the RS appearance and amenities, but the only folks I know who call the ACR ugly tend to be pretty rabid marque-lovers whose feelings are hurt when a "track focused" car does not turn the times hoped.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:44 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

deleted, not worth it
And my apologies for baiting.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't know much. However trying to help the RS by saying it needs the alignment and slicks and then it'll keep up with the ACR is hogwash. It might help, but then do you want the viper boys saying well if we get PDK we'll be even faster. When does it end? I'm a Porsche guy through and through. Have an RS coming and been through enough GT3s to have learned a little. ACR should always be faster. It's up on power and aero. However life is full of compromises and that car shouldn't be driven on the street. It's uncomfortable, ugly, poorly appointed, and on and on. You c ant have it all. You can always make an car faster. ****, I bet you could find a few shmucks to stuff an ACR engine in a Miata, but fastest does not equal having the best car. I'm ok with the ACR being a faster car. It's is. But the RS has 100 other categories crushed compared to it.
Read my post. I said it would be a lot CLOSER, and may surprise. I never said it's faster. It's not. I agree with all ur other points. Simply pointing out the obvious regarding the specific topic of lap time for this article. The ACR comes with uber sticky tires, in another league compared to mpsc2. The same applies to the vette as well, it would been a lot faster as well. If you want some more valid comparisons between different manufacturers take on track day cars, using the same tires wouldn't hurt.

It reminds me of "that" gt3 owner on Michelin slicks who brags about his lap time to all his friends, who are all on Nittos. Nobody cares.

I'm no Porsche fanboy, id be making the same argument if this was some other hack MT comparison of hot hatches under 25k.

If ur talking lap times, tires and alignment matter. A lot. Just ask randy after he walled the RS.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:30 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Randy Pobst.
I read that he spun the car three times, but are you sure he crashed it?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I read that he spun the car three times, but are you sure he crashed it?
+1. I've been told it wasn't pobst. It was someone else on the mt team who hasn't been revealed.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:36 AM
drwuss
Racer

I crashed the RS, a squirrel ran out in the track and I swerved. If I had been in a lowly gt3, woulda saved it.

on to kinda serious kinda off topic question:
If these cars are too loud for use at that track stock, does motor trend also have to take preventative measures?
Old 02-26-2016, 12:20 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would feel embarrassed taking a ride in ACR other than a race track.

IMHO you just can't compare these two. Radical (also street legal) is much faster than ACR and so what?
Old 02-26-2016, 12:47 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i believe it has something to do with setup as to why the RS isn't as fast as i could be. The people at Chevrolet messed up twice when they gave the new C7 Z06 to motortrend and it couldn't provide full boost resulting it being last in the drivers car of the year award.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:41 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
I would feel embarrassed taking a ride in ACR other than a race track.

IMHO you just can't compare these two. Radical (also street legal) is much faster than ACR and so what?
Why? The RS has a wing almost as big, with vents in the front fenders etc.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Why? The RS has a wing almost as big, with vents in the front fenders etc.
Because the ACR is a crestless, classless, farty-sounding, clown shoe-looking POS Dodge, bien sur!

Quick Reply: Per Motortrend April Edition 991 GT vs GT3RS