Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016 | 08:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe we should start a separate thread for this but for now I'll post it on a couple threads:

My first motor oil and PDK oil lab work.

Motor oil was about 4000 miles old and 6 track days, the last couple thousand miles were just puttering around
The car had a bunch of oil changes in its first 6000 miles, including one after the first 500 miles and first track day.

PDK oil was factory, so 10,000 miles and about 24-30 track days.
The reward for a proper break-in.
Old 08-23-2016 | 08:51 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Would like to thank IvanBurns for taking one for the team. You have great deal of respect from all of us.
Old 08-23-2016 | 09:57 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by bronson7
Would like to thank IvanBurns for taking one for the team. You have great deal of respect from all of us.
Oh man, my name will be mud if the dealer mechanic doesn't take the valve cover off like he promised to do.

Hopefully by tomorrow! Maybe I should drop in tomorrow and butter them up.

The mechanics seem to like me a lot because I seem to be their rare interface with a customer who "drives the car like it is supposed to be driven". They seem to like that it doesn't bother me that my car is all marred by track rubber and debris. And they can't think of anyone else who has ever asked them to remove the AC and speakers from their precious GT3!
Old 08-24-2016 | 03:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Maybe we should start a separate thread for this but for now I'll post it on a couple threads: My first motor oil and PDK oil lab work. Motor oil was about 4000 miles old and 6 track days, the last couple thousand miles were just puttering around The car had a bunch of oil changes in its first 6000 miles, including one after the first 500 miles and first track day. PDK oil was factory, so 10,000 miles and about 24-30 track days.
Good results Peter especially the PRK one which I was curious about. To be honest I've seen oil reports on the MA175 engine that look within range right up to the dreaded CEL light intervention. It would be nice if the tests were designed to identify the DLC particulate in the oil but they were not designed to do this...
Old 08-24-2016 | 04:57 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
Oh man, my name will be mud if the dealer mechanic doesn't take the valve cover off like he promised to do.
"Prepare to put your flame suite on, Sir"

Seriously: Much appreciated!
Old 08-24-2016 | 02:58 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

PDK oil was factory, so 10,000 miles and about 24-30 track days.
So why does it say 37,000? And may I ask if you removed the oil from the fill plug, or loosening the drain plug? Thx.
Old 08-24-2016 | 03:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Good results Peter especially the PRK one which I was curious about. To be honest I've seen oil reports on the MA175 engine that look within range right up to the dreaded CEL light intervention. It would be nice if the tests were designed to identify the DLC particulate in the oil but they were not designed to do this...
Good to know, Macca.
Old 08-25-2016 | 04:45 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by robmypro
It would be really helpful if Ivan can get one valve cover removed to confirm DLC coating on the cams. If an engine manufactured this far back has the new parts, that might lend some credibility to the notion that Porsche believes enough in this fix to go back and redo the top ends of spare engines. The absence of such DLC might also lend credibility to the notion that Porsche is still evaluating the latest fixes, and they are not confident enough to redo existing spare engines.

It is a data point.
Originally Posted by Macca
Rob I agree this would be a very valuable data point, however it comes at a cost of labour no doubt payable by Ivan so it is his choice if he elects to confirm this and we wont hold it against him if he chooses not to...

P.S. Its my believe on prior PAG behavior with regards to this issue that they will elect a specific point in time to address the update of components ion the engines and as illogical as it may seem they are unlikely to go back to stores and change components on already built replacement engines. As evidence I refer to the overall development of "fixes" for this situation which suggest as late as July this year PAG were installing the older camshafts into top end rebuild cars like Levd and others and no effort was made to remedy the situation (parts were ordered prior to DLC cam release but not fitted until after the new cam was made available). Looking at this pragmatically I my view is PAG are not prepared to go to the expense of addressing engines in production or stores until they need remedy, in part because i suspect until the new component is run up on customer cars for extended duration and loads and until it has "proven" to be a fail safe remedy for the issue, it is infact just one change in a long line of revisions for which in the future there may be an improved version available. As crazy as this seems from a business and engineering perspective the logic is sound. It is for this very reason I have NO faith currently that soon to be production built 991.2 GT3 engine (3.8 or 4.0L it doesn't matter) will incorporate any significant changes in design over the DLC cams and finger followers that are the subject of this debate.
OK Rob and Macca - I am surprised but pleased to report that after the dealer mechanic removed a valve cover, he found that the camshaft DOES have the DLC coating.

Surprising to me (and to Macca, as above) since my engine was built on May 19 while the first report of the new DLC coated camshaft used on a top end repair was in July.

The mechanic said he had no idea why the serial number sequence for this engine jumped from G05xxx to G60xxx.

What all of this means is above my pay grade - Macca will have to explain it to us! And then there's the open question of whether DLC on DLC is something that will make a difference.

In any event, I'm glad that I had the engine opened up, since I will be able to make a more informed decision about what to do when the warranty expires in three years from now.
Old 08-25-2016 | 04:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
OK Rob and Macca - I am surprised but pleased to report that after the dealer mechanic removed a valve cover, he found that the camshaft DOES have the DLC coating.

Surprising to me (and to Macca, as above) since my engine was built on May 19 while the first report of the new DLC coated camshaft used on a top end repair was in July.

The mechanic said he had no idea why the serial number sequence for this engine jumped from G05xxx to G60xxx.

What all of this means is above my pay grade - Macca will have to explain it to us! And then there's the open question of whether DLC on DLC is something that will make a difference.

In any event, I'm glad that I had the engine opened up, since I will be able to make a more informed decision about what to do when the warranty expires in three years from now.
Thanks Ivan! You the man. Now we get to speculate as to what this finding means. If I had to guess....I was say Porsche has some confidence in this fix, and they went back and replaced parts on previously built engines to hopefully avoid this problem moving forward.

Macca will give his thoughts, but I believe this is good news.
Old 08-25-2016 | 05:06 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Great news Ivan. I'm sure you're a bit happier now. Now comes the "piece the puzzle together". I'm waiting patiently for any update.
Old 08-25-2016 | 05:38 PM
levd
Pro

Thanks Ivan!
Old 08-25-2016 | 05:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
Great news Ivan. I'm sure you're a bit happier now. Now comes the "piece the puzzle together". I'm waiting patiently for any update.
In my mind, this is the key. Do we have proof that engines built after May 19 did not have these cams? If so, I think it is pretty clear that Porsche went back and replaced those parts on previously assembled engines. Why would they do that? I doubt they believe this is just incrementally better. They must have done additional testing and felt confident enough to tear down new replacement engines. Doesn't guarantee that this is the BIG ONE, but they must have felt pretty strongly to open up these engines.

JMHO
Old 08-25-2016 | 05:44 PM
levd
Pro

My car had engine rebuild with no DLC coating shaft in June-July.
Old 08-25-2016 | 06:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by levd
My car had engine rebuild with no DLC coating shaft in June-July.
What was the manufacture date of your engine?
Old 08-25-2016 | 06:49 PM
levd
Pro

I have no idea, it's a T7 engine, installed instead of original one @ 24.06.2014

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?