Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:42 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by KA 991 GT3
Are those Thermostats an issue on all engine series? (E, F and G) ?
Seems so in my case! Fingers crossed on the RS!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KA 991 GT3
Are those Thermostats an issue on all engine series? (E, F and G) ?
Yip. Our local dealer has done a couple on RS delivered in last 12 months too and when I discussed the design with the tech he said they have failed on base 911 DFI engines since 2012 and are now on their 3rd or 4th part revision.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:28 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Agreed. But we are assuming RS will circulate the track with the same intensity as GT3 and at least in my market, this looks unlikely.
Given the amount of RSs I am seeing at track days over here (almost more RSs than GT3s on some days), I am sure the problem will surface quite soon if it still exits.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That's good to hear Chris. I do think these cars get bought for their application of use more in UK and Europe than elsewhere.

Ive been to two track days in the USA last month and the rate was 1 RS for 4-5 GT3. In New Zealand since the RS was released last year I have yet to be on the track with one and have completed 14 track day events since Sept last year...

The problem if Im honest mate is that apart from yourself, Levd and 3-4 others here from Europe that regularly post (Kobolt, Nur93 and Nordip etc) on these boards we get very little insight into the issues with these cars in Europe and UK. We know for example from what others have said that failures in GT3 (and later on in RS) started appearing early in the Porsche series run in Germany (cant remember the name - but its production cars). But like geometry settings for suspension and tips to set up these cars for fast track work the information has never flowed to these boards. It seems we have very few German GT3 & RS owners active here to share with us the issues, challenges and learning over there on track with these cars. Probably a language thing. A shame because there is much we have learnt already from your and Levd recent experiences with the engines by way of example....
Old 08-18-2016, 05:28 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

But like geometry settings for suspension and tips to set up these cars for fast track work the information has never flowed to these boards. .
I've requested info from Manthey about the stuff they used on the RS the recently published a very fast BTG-lap but they been silent so far.
I'll pay them a visit next week, see if they can inform me in person.

I think that the rear wheel steering makes it kind of difficult for the guys that are used to do classic set up of the cars. (I could be wrong here of course.)

I saw a 991 GT3 being rebuilt for serious trackwork (and street): Removed RWS, GT4 hubs, Cup brakes.

Personally I want to learn to drive the car as fast as I can as it is from factory, then I'd like to change the setup to get a "new car". When that is done: New suspension details and I have a "new car" again.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Personally I want to learn to drive the car as fast as I can as it is from factory, then I'd like to change the setup to get a "new car". When that is done: New suspension details and I have a "new car" again.
This is my philosophy too. Still getting quicker...

Those modifications to the GT3 you mention (Plus KW shocks, minus the GT4 hubs but Cup hubs instead) are the kind of changes Ive seen and heard have been done over the last few seasons to the cars that race in the German series?
Old 08-18-2016, 07:03 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Those modifications to the GT3 you mention (Plus KW shocks, minus the GT4 hubs but Cup hubs instead) are the kind of changes Ive seen and heard have been done over the last few seasons to the cars that race in the German series?
I have no first hand info about the cars in the racing series, maybe jo_ker or Peterfirst know more...
Old 08-18-2016, 07:21 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

That's good to hear Chris. I do think these cars get bought for their application of use more in UK and Europe than elsewhere.

Ive been to two track days in the USA last month and the rate was 1 RS for 4-5 GT3. In New Zealand since the RS was released last year I have yet to be on the track with one and have completed 14 track day events since Sept last year...

The problem if Im honest mate is that apart from yourself, Levd and 3-4 others here from Europe that regularly post (Kobolt, Nur93 and Nordip etc) on these boards we get very little insight into the issues with these cars in Europe and UK. We know for example from what others have said that failures in GT3 (and later on in RS) started appearing early in the Porsche series run in Germany (cant remember the name - but its production cars). But like geometry settings for suspension and tips to set up these cars for fast track work the information has never flowed to these boards. It seems we have very few German GT3 & RS owners active here to share with us the issues, challenges and learning over there on track with these cars. Probably a language thing. A shame because there is much we have learnt already from your and Levd recent experiences with the engines by way of example....
Thanks for the compliment but I honestly think that you "own" this thread and if it wasn't for your contributions it would a much poorer thread in which to post.

I have learnt more from your posts in this particular thread than all the other threads on this forum combined I think. So keep it up.

Last edited by Chris3963; 08-18-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:10 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Be curious to know if on all engines that were replaced, did they smoke much at start up?
Mine smoked a lot. Not always, but quite often.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:14 AM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Given the amount of RSs I am seeing at track days over here (almost more RSs than GT3s on some days), I am sure the problem will surface quite soon if it still exits.
I also see more RSs than GT3s on track events lately.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kobalt
I have no first hand info about the cars in the racing series, maybe jo_ker or Peterfirst know more...
Of course Peter in Germany and Jo_ker! I think Peter has been trying to find out more for a while. He has been quiet lately. He sold his GT3 before summer. Hopefully he has now got some track time on his RS.

Its great to hear the RS's are plentiful out on the tracks of summer time Europe. After-all this is where they were born to play. We have been joking that here RS stands for "Rarely Seen" when it comes to the track. I think the issue is people here have RHD RS and look to UK prices on Pistonheads and UK Porsche magazines then freak out about using their car on track...
Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Thanks for the compliment but I honestly think that you "own" this thread and if it wasn't for your contributions it would a much poorer thread in which to post.

I have learnt more from your posts in this particular thread than all the other threads on this forum combined I think. So keep it up.
Thanks Chris for the kind words. But its a team effort. I'm just the "glue". It might make a good story for a German engineers detective novel one day though LOL!
Old 08-18-2016, 05:31 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For those whom "belief" Porsche will goodwill an engine repair or replacement, take a look at this thread :
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-cpo-pcna.html

Where Porsche is refusing to fix a very well known and document problem with the .2 997's for nose lift. The repair is pennies compare to what it would cost to repair the 991 gt3 motor. To top it off, the owner was still under CPO warranty when he had the issue however dealer could not replicate it.

Macca and 991 gt3 gang, if you want to "insure" that Porsche will take care of the 991GT3's AFTER warranty expires and no remedy has been presented by Porsche. I highly suggest as a collation take action now to make demands to Porsche before it's to late.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:53 PM
levd
Pro

I have zero belief PAG will take care of ANYTHING if it has a choice.

Even having a warranty means nothing at all.

Maybe in US it works some different way, but in EU consumer has very "virtual" rights, that basically equals one simple right - to be involved it a very long series of time consuming legal cases with a chance to get some minor compensation several years after.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by levd
I have zero belief PAG will take care of ANYTHING if it has a choice.

Even having a warranty means nothing at all.

Maybe in US it works some different way, but in EU consumer has very "virtual" rights, that basically equals one simple right - to be involved it a very long series of time consuming legal cases with a chance to get some minor compensation several years after.
Love your analogy here. New Zealand is based on Commonwealth law, so not unlike Europe in that sense. Although we have an additional extra law created in the last 20 years called the "Consumer Guarantees Act" which does make the vendor a little more responsible.

I used to wonder how the USA survived with hits highly litigious society that adds massive costs and complexity across its system. Ive come to realize that if you want to be protected as a consumer you need a system like this to hold the commercial world accountable. Otherwise it would be like China and vendors would have no need for responsibility at all.

So if anyone can help my wife and I get a Green Card I would be very appreciative (not kidding!). I would run for president. My party would be called Rennlist, you would all have a say in the party mandate, I would make PAG give all 991.1 GT3 owners engines for life (all future iterations of the DFI GT engine so we are good for 5+ years yet). As "test pilots" on the prototype DFI MA17X GT engine we would receive formal recognition by PAG. I would make race tracks in the USA more profitable and track day insurance cheaper. I would give Michelin incentives to build the MPSC2 tire in USA to lower its cost. There is a bunch of other stiff Id do like schools, education and healthcare but there is not time for this now. I need to come to USA and get my campaign underway...

Last edited by Macca; 08-18-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?