Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:24 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
all good with my F engine car, just an oil sensor mistake

Ready to track at Chuckwalla on Saturday!!
Love that track. Hopefully it won't be too hot.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:36 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Picked up car yesterday after G engine replacement. Seems the same, but hard to tell much while keeping the revs low. Nice to have the car back so quickly. Should be all set for COTA at the end of the month.
I remember the debate regarding the con rod bolt engine replacement and whether it was a big deal to replace these engines. From my perspective the answer is a big no. These engines are so plug and play. Basically it takes a day. I think the reason PAG did the replacements before was to save money. The service guys love doing jobs like this on warranty, it pays very well.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:59 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess that way, way down the line, in the collectors' market a car with a different engine will get hammered down in price,
Old 04-15-2016, 03:24 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
I guess that way, way down the line, in the collectors' market a car with a different engine will get hammered down in price,
At the rate this forum makes it appear, i think you will be hard press to find a car with its original motor / matching vin. Those that do have the original motor, if the vehicle in question is a 14 or 15 YM model. It's my humble opinion, the car in question will be seen as the red headed step child that no one will want due to the "defect" engine it occupies. The only YM that has a chance to be a "collectors" car, IMO is 2016YM. Fingers cross those motors are the final rev and stay in tact with the chassi for decades to come with matching chassi / motor vin.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:23 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
At the rate this forum makes it appear, i think you will be hard press to find a car with its original motor / matching vin. Those that do have the original motor, if the vehicle in question is a 14 or 15 YM model. It's my humble opinion, the car in question will be seen as the red headed step child that no one will want due to the "defect" engine it occupies. The only YM that has a chance to be a "collectors" car, IMO is 2016YM. Fingers cross those motors are the final rev and stay in tact with the chassi for decades to come with matching chassi / motor vin.
It will all depend on what Porsche does with the next gen. If the 991.1 GT3 is the only one with a 9K NA motor, the outcome may be different.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:29 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,869 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
It will all depend on what Porsche does with the next gen. If the 991.1 GT3 is the only one with a 9K NA motor, the outcome may be different.
Yup.

Sort of like eating Fugu. Y'know it might kill you, but when it's done right and everything falls into place, it's delectable.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:07 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I differ in that respect(just because it revs 9k, does not make it a collectable) ("collectable Porsche" has only been a fav over last 2 years. No other time in the history has a production Porsche vehicle have its owners started talking about collectability as we do now) . Perhaps, this summer when i visit Tahoe, we can sit down and have a healthy debate on this over a cold beer vs. internet trolling.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:12 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted this in another thread but was told more traffic here. My car is a 14 but I had the limp mode happen during the smokies event. Took it in today. They found a misfire on cylinder 5 and they changed plugs and coils but problem still there. So what can I expect will be the next step? And if it comes to a new motor, how long has this been taking others? from time you bring it in to getting the work done? Also is it common to get any compensation? Really just want to get the car back in a timely matter with the issue resolved and not to happen again. Start to question the longevity of these motors. I kept my 997tt long after warranty but not sure 991 gt3 is a one to keep. Do love the car.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:21 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
I posted this in another thread but was told more traffic here. My car is a 14 but I had the limp mode happen during the smokies event. Took it in today. They found a misfire on cylinder 5 and they changed plugs and coils but problem still there. So what can I expect will be the next step? And if it comes to a new motor, how long has this been taking others? from time you bring it in to getting the work done? Also is it common to get any compensation? Really just want to get the car back in a timely matter with the issue resolved and not to happen again. Start to question the longevity of these motors. I kept my 997tt long after warranty but not sure 991 gt3 is a one to keep. Do love the car.
Here is my take, Chris. Keep in mind that my motor has not had issues - yet. If we assume that the G engne solves the problem, you get a new engine that should be fine long-term. Personally, if my car doesn't have any problems when warranty is almost up, I might trade it in. So best case scenario imo is having the issue on a 14 or 15 MY, getting the new engine, and moving on. I plan on taking mine to the drags and pushing it a bit to see if it fails on me.

BTW, how many miles, and how much was on the track?

Regarding experiences, read this thread to find out about the range of experiences getting engines replaced. I am sure others will chime in.

Sorry about your engine.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Here is my take, Chris. Keep in mind that my motor has not had issues - yet. If we assume that the G engne solves the problem, you get a new engine that should be fine long-term. Personally, if my car doesn't have any problems when warranty is almost up, I might trade it in. So best case scenario imo is having the issue on a 14 or 15 MY, getting the new engine, and moving on. I plan on taking mine to the drags and pushing it a bit to see if it fails on me.

BTW, how many miles, and how much was on the track?

Regarding experiences, read this thread to find out about the range of experiences getting engines replaced. I am sure others will chime in.

Sorry about your engine.
Thanks for the input. Yes let's hope if I get a engine , that the G motor is solid.
Miles 10600 when it happened. I've only track 2 days but I'm second owner so not sure how much tracking it got before. It had 3k when I picked it up. I'll update as it goes.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 PM
ablee2323
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meaker,

My car has been at the dealer center Mar 12. 3rd cylinder misfire. Solution is not a G engine, they will rebuild (see pg 15 of this thread). Parts ordered and will come end of April.

I am taking a zen approach to all this:

1. I am grateful for having the gt3. What a wonderful car. The thought of it alone, makes me happy, satisfied and prompts me to be thankful for so many other things in my life

1. I am willing a G engine. Haven't given up on that. Let's see

1. I am ok with whatever outcome. There is no good or bad. I'll take what comes my way. And enjoy life. It's a choice.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:59 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time

More like the car with the original engine will get hammered down in price, big time.

Imagine this, 20 years down the line, I found a original number matching GT3, which means the engine hasn't blown up yet, and it will, eventually.

What price am I gonna pay? Whatever is market value MINUS the cost of the engine replacement job, as the car is long out of warranty and that expense will be out of my own pocket.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,399 Likes on 725 Posts

All I will say it is like a stock. Emotionally remove yourself from it and know when is the time to dump it.

Every time I read another engine is having issues I feel for that individual. I waited for my GT3 for 5 months while it sat at the Port waiting for an engine replacement- I should of read the tea leaves then
Old 04-18-2016, 10:44 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ablee2323
Meaker,

My car has been at the dealer center Mar 12. 3rd cylinder misfire. Solution is not a G engine, they will rebuild (see pg 15 of this thread). Parts ordered and will come end of April.

I am taking a zen approach to all this:

1. I am grateful for having the gt3. What a wonderful car. The thought of it alone, makes me happy, satisfied and prompts me to be thankful for so many other things in my life

1. I am willing a G engine. Haven't given up on that. Let's see

1. I am ok with whatever outcome. There is no good or bad. I'll take what comes my way. And enjoy life. It's a choice.
ablee, Congratulations on having such a grateful attitude. Surely, all will work out as it should. Best, Allan
Old 04-18-2016, 11:09 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

I just had my E engine replaced. It took about 10-12 days to do all the evaluation before PAG gave the go ahead to open the engine up. Pictures were sent of the abnormal wear of cylinder 3 cam lobe and valve lever. 2 days later PAG gave the green light for replacement. Engine ordered on 6 April, arrived 11 April and I picked the car up 13 April. Car was at dealer about 3 weeks.
So far engine seems solid. Daily driving it to get the break in miles done.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?