Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:54 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the price of the cams and Rockers? A good engine builder can change them and torque them properly and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. Its basically a top end job.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:04 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Are u suggesting that PAG will trick up the software so as to avoid showing real performance and problems? If they do then they did not learn anything fron VAGs die$$el debacle.
They can call it "setting overly sensitive algorithm to normal", for example. I really hope they won't do it, but after Dieselgate can we really trust?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:13 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by levd
I actually know the easy fix. It's just a matter of time till they will apply it.

I think at some point they will re-write the code to bring misfire messages only when it's a really really bad series of misfires. Every car will get re-flashed on occasion. Maybe this "upgrade" will even be a complimentary for us, with zero cost.

VAG is very good at software coding, as we've got to know last year.
This was exactly my thinking. With the first E engine failures, the sensors were very sensitive, as they caught the wear early. I have wondered if why the F engines appear more durable isn't due to a "software update" where PAG just dumbs down the sensitivity of the misfire sensor. That way, cars still run, and only the abused ones discover the problem before warranty runs out. Of course, if this is the issue, it is like diesel gate all over again. One can assume if Porsche knew an engine was not running as designed for efficiency and emissions due to the can follower wear, then it is essentially like dieselgate.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:22 PM
levd
Pro

They can still claim initial level of sensitiveness was a mistake and new level is OK.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:25 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not paranoia if pag is really out to get you!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:28 PM
levd
Pro

They are still busy finding out where Macca lives.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:49 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

They can still claim initial level of sensitiveness was a mistake and new level is OK.
There's no way in hell anybody with engine knowledge would think that level of follower wear is normal. But to be honest, I have zero doubt Porsche would do the above... and they probably did. I think the difference between the 2 levels boils down to a top-end job vs engine replacement. I don't think it'll be beneficial at the end, just like dieselgate.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They are still busy finding out where Macca lives.
LOL! In about the most remote place you can think to live. A rock in the Ocean in the Pacific formerly colonized by France and the UK! Its a long swim from Germany!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:53 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
LOL! In about the most remote place you can think to live. A rock in the Ocean in the Pacific formerly colonized by France and the UK! Its a long swim from Germany!
Macca,
OT How is everyone doing after 11/2 years since Pam?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
Macca,
OT How is everyone doing after 11/2 years since Pam?
Thanks for asking mate. Especially as your state has just been through similar. Things are largely back to normal here finally. Tourism is still suffering (probably 35% down but has recovered quite a bit since earlier this year). General economy has also taken a fair hit with GDP down at least 40% last 12 months. Most of the damage is repaired now other than a few bridges and roads which are planned to be sorted out in the next 12 months. PAM was a big one, one of the 5 largest storms in the world on record with 180mph winds sustained and 220mph gusting! It was pretty much a direct hit as well and fairly slow moving so the damage was significant in what is already a developing world nation. Death toll was under 100 but possibly more if indirect effects were taken into account. Due largely to the wonderful generosity of people on this board we managed to rebuild from scratch a number of houses in the local village via our charity fund and also provide medical and food/clothes to many more. A little can goe a long way in these places.

I trust yourself and your family survived the storm without issue. We were down your way in June, a lovely part of the world (made it all the way down to Key West). Reminded me a lot of Vanuatu!

Take care

M
Old 10-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 549 Posts

I have an RS scheduled to be delivered last week of the year. Has Porsche improved engine issues continually or have all improvements stopped with G engines; meaning a sep16 delivered RS is same as a dec16 delivered RS?
Old 10-10-2016, 11:02 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^I don't think it's known as yet
My bet is after 50+ years of P. continously
Working to improve the 911 ,
Lucky for us they cannot stop TWEAKING IT.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:35 AM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks for asking mate. Especially as your state has just been through similar. Things are largely back to normal here finally. Tourism is still suffering (probably 35% down but has recovered quite a bit since earlier this year). General economy has also taken a fair hit with GDP down at least 40% last 12 months. Most of the damage is repaired now other than a few bridges and roads which are planned to be sorted out in the next 12 months. PAM was a big one, one of the 5 largest storms in the world on record with 180mph winds sustained and 220mph gusting! It was pretty much a direct hit as well and fairly slow moving so the damage was significant in what is already a developing world nation. Death toll was under 100 but possibly more if indirect effects were taken into account. Due largely to the wonderful generosity of people on this board we managed to rebuild from scratch a number of houses in the local village via our charity fund and also provide medical and food/clothes to many more. A little can goe a long way in these places.

I trust yourself and your family survived the storm without issue. We were down your way in June, a lovely part of the world (made it all the way down to Key West). Reminded me a lot of Vanuatu!

Take care

M
A blessing there were not more fatalities given the magnitude of your storm.
We had no damage on Longboat, but our friends from north of Palm Beach to North Carolina really got hit hard.
Happy Motoring!
Old 10-22-2016, 09:48 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Quick update

My new engine is back in the car today. Sunset fired it up today and took the car for test drive. I am getting the car first thing on Monday. Please see attached pictures of new engine.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2016, 09:49 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Here is the engine number

Here is a picture of the engine #
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?