Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 02:23 PM
rkmgt3
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had my engine replaced

2015 with about 41500 miles on it

F series to G series.

G61816

Just posting to keep this thread going.
The following users liked this post:
wsmmd (09-15-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 03:33 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by rkmgt3
Just had my engine replaced

2015 with about 41500 miles on it

F series to G series.

G61816

Just posting to keep this thread going.
Congrats!
wsmmd (09-15-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 07:51 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 348 Posts

My car just went into limp mode for the first time ever at 23K miles. code reader returned 0304. I guess I need to throw a second one before my dealer can open it up.
itrsteve (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 11:57 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

itrsteve (09-14-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 01:09 AM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

I’ve read pretty much this entire thread wow so much info by so many people thank you every For taking the time out to shed some light on this issue for the past few years. So 3 weeks ago i got a CEL light along with all the other warnings at High RPM on my way home. I checked the code and p0302 came up. The Car has 25798 miles on it. I took it to the dealer they replaced 2 spark plugs cylinder 2 and 3 and one injector and told me that was the cause of the CEL. The CEL did go away but I’m trying to see if it comes back. One thing i liked to point out is that on 2nd gear the car does not go pass 8500 rpm once i change into 3rd i can take it up to 9k but then stalls at 8500 rpm on that gear also

2015 engine F02493

Last edited by Rhdjon; 11-23-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:21 PM
N99x_
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joining the party with my recently acquired '15 GT3... was aware of the "lottery" when I bought the car private party. I had only put about 200 miles on the car before experiencing issues, just a tick over 14K miles.

During some spirited driving, I experienced bad high RPM (8300) misfire, which quickly progressed to running pretty rough and noticeably down on power. The workshop light didn't turn on until I let the revs fall <3k. After letting the car sit, it did not want to start at all. Towed the car home, took an oil sample to send to Blackstone, changed spark plugs. The oil sample was pretty clean, no glitter. Have not received blackstone report yet. The car is now at the dealership awaiting diagnostics. Last time I tried to start it up, it sounded like absolute mechanical mayhem while stumbling to a high idle. Two of the six exhaust headers were cold after the ~10 seconds of barely idling. The others were scalding hot. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:23 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by N99x_
Joining the party with my recently acquired '15 GT3... was aware of the "lottery" when I bought the car private party. I had only put about 200 miles on the car before experiencing issues, just a tick over 14K miles.

During some spirited driving, I experienced bad high RPM (8300) misfire, which quickly progressed to running pretty rough and noticeably down on power. The workshop light didn't turn on until I let the revs fall <3k. After letting the car sit, it did not want to start at all. Towed the car home, took an oil sample to send to Blackstone, changed spark plugs. The oil sample was pretty clean, no glitter. Have not received blackstone report yet. The car is now at the dealership awaiting diagnostics. Last time I tried to start it up, it sounded like absolute mechanical mayhem while stumbling to a high idle. Two of the six exhaust headers were cold after the ~10 seconds of barely idling. The others were scalding hot. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best.
Certainly sounds like you won. Normally when these things go it's simply limp mode and you trot over to the dealer below 4k, but your situation sounds like chaos.

Best of luck on your Christmas miracle
Old 11-30-2021, 04:24 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 75 Posts

200 miles, I believe that’s the record!
Old 11-30-2021, 06:36 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Wow I’m 26k miles and pushing my 2015 and nothing.
Unfortunately the winter here in the north east is not far away so it’s 2022 for me. I will i’ll be tracking the car more often.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:27 PM
cms432
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2015 engine replacement at 12,000 miles

This morning I got the call from my dealer that I'm getting an engine replacement, so I'll share my story.

After over a year of searching, I found a 2015 Dark Blue Metallic with all the specs I was looking for (except no extended range fuel tank). Took delivery on October 30th and drove it home from Long Island to central Pennsylvania. 10 days later I experienced a misfire somewhere above 8k during a spirited drive. Got the warnings for Engine Control Fault and Reduced Power Driving Permitted. Warnings went away after shutting off the car and starting back up 30 minutes later. Took it back out on the road and got the misfire a second time above 8k. I scheduled service with my local dealer on 11/23, they cleared the codes but didn't investigate too much further, thinking it may have been caused by low fuel level. Took the car out for a run through the mountains on Black Friday and again experienced misfire above 8k. Took the car back to the local dealer yesterday with expectation of having spark plugs replaced since I just hit 12,000 miles, thinking this could have been part of the problem. Dealer was in communication with Porsche and based on the codes were instructed to inspect the valve train. Found excess wear of the coating and squared edges on the finger followers, and got the go ahead from Porsche for an engine replacement.

I bought the 991.1 fully aware of the issue and planned to drive the car hard and put mileage on it. I guess I was hoping to take more than 10 days to uncover the wear issue, but this beats sweating it out right before the warranty expires in 3 years. Also glad to have the car in the shop in December/January in the mid-Atlantic rather rather than spring/summer/fall. For now I'll just wait patiently for the G6 to arrive and go back to driving my 2011 ISF that was being neglected. I'll provide an update once I get the GT3 back. I'm leaning towards doing break-in procedure on the new engine although I've seen mixed feelings on the topic.

The following 3 users liked this post by cms432:
Daniel1000hp (12-25-2021), itrsteve (12-03-2021), rominl (12-04-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 11:53 AM
N99x_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cms432
got the go ahead from Porsche for an engine replacement.
Congrats, if I am reading it right there was only one day between dropping the car off for diagnostics last and hearing that finger follower wear was present? If so that's pretty phenomenal, My car has been @ dealer this entire week and not a peep about what the problem could be.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:44 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Congrats, if I am reading it right there was only one day between dropping the car off for diagnostics last and hearing that finger follower wear was present? If so that's pretty phenomenal, My car has been @ dealer this entire week and not a peep about what the problem could be.
Out of curiosity, is your SA aware of the issue/warranty/etc? If it's foreign then WebMD them a bit on it. I had went as far to stress that an engine replacement was the ideal outcome and not a bad news conversation (which would be the case in nearly any other scenario). Once we established that it was game on.

Unfortunately, it's not a huge job for them in terms of labor hours so it's easy to see how it can get de-prioritized because once that engine is out then a whole bay is getting sucked up.

A tip that I frequently repeat (apologies if you've read already) to speed up the diagnostic phase which requires troubleshooting steps, clearing the code and triggering it again so they can proceed to the next step. Triggering the fault code is difficult if the techs are just flogging the car around, the sure fire way of getting it to return is putting the car in second and applying partial throttle right up to the redline and hovering in that 8500+ range for a few seconds, it will fault within seconds. Let your SA know to communicate that back to the techs, it'll streamline the process significantly.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:55 PM
N99x_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Triggering the fault code is difficult if the techs are just flogging the car around, the sure fire way of getting it to return is putting the car in second and applying partial throttle right up to the redline and hovering in that 8500+ range for a few seconds, it will fault within seconds. Let your SA know to communicate that back to the techs, it'll streamline the process significantly.
After my car flashed the workshop light, there was no mistake something was monumentally trashed internally by the sounds and vibrations the engine was making. I had every intention to do as you prescribed but wasn't about to try driving the car and risk throwing something out the block.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:04 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

@ cms432, great news right before Christmas sucks you didn’t have more time to enjoy the car but that will come.

@ itrsteve for me that process has not worked yet. I’m still pushing it that way last week/weekend and now today. Hopefully something happens before we get snow here in Nyc. I do feel and hear the engine and it sounds a bit different after the misfire on Cyl #2
Old 12-03-2021, 01:06 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

After my car flashed the workshop light, there was no mistake something was monumentally trashed internally by the sounds and vibrations the engine was making. I had every intention to do as you prescribed but wasn't about to try driving the car and risk throwing something out the block.
I have the same thing going on with mine after i got it back from dealer with a misfire on Cyl #2 but I’m definitely trying what steve said.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?