Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017 | 10:48 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krisa9977
That what it says on the label that came with the engine. Porsche tests all the engines before they send it out to their customers. The power should be 475 hp +/- 5% tolerance. Mine making a bit less 459 hp. I wonder what power other engines make.

I did the factory tour a couple of months ago. The tour guide asked what car I had and gave me a whole bunch of detailed GT3 specific information. He indicated among other things that all GT3 engines are hot tested for 30 mins AND the horsepower quoted is the MINIMUM the engine can produce. He also indicated that any engine producing much more HP is pulled aside and detuned.
Old 09-08-2017 | 12:30 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Just in time
I did the factory tour a couple of months ago. The tour guide asked what car I had and gave me a whole bunch of detailed GT3 specific information. He indicated among other things that all GT3 engines are hot tested for 30 mins AND the horsepower quoted is the MINIMUM the engine can produce. He also indicated that any engine producing much more HP is pulled aside and detuned.
Thanks for clearing this up!
Old 09-08-2017 | 11:56 AM
krisa9977
Instructor

Originally Posted by Just in time
Yes, that what I was told, but the minimum that the engine must produce is 475 hp. I sent the letter to Porsche, asking about HP numbers, will see what they say.

ps: my new G6 runs much much smoother then G0 even when G0 was new. I haven't seen any oil consumption yet as well. Also it doesn't look like it has less hp, but 16 hp difference hard to tell
Old 09-08-2017 | 12:06 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Yes, that what I was told, but the minimum that the engine must produce is 475 hp. I sent the letter to Porsche, asking about HP numbers, will see what they say.

ps: my new G6 runs much much smoother then G0 even when G0 was new. I haven't seen any oil consumption yet as well. Also it doesn't look like it has less hp, but 16 hp difference hard to tell
That makes sense that the engine minimum is 475 and not anything less. Glad to hear that the new engine is smoother and it is working good for you. I wonder, towards the end of your other engines life, if it was down on power and maybe that's why you can't tell a difference in power loss on the new one? Either way, glad she's running good.
Old 09-08-2017 | 12:58 PM
SKY57
Instructor

After reading the 170 pages....

Seems like the the camshaft and FF issue is due to a design flaw and FOR SURE will fail just a matter of time?

If so, I would stay away from the 2015 GT3 for now. I have driven one extensively and truly truly loved it.
Just my mind tells me buying some thing that for sure will fail sooner or later is just not right.....
Old 09-08-2017 | 01:14 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Got the new engine authorized by Porsche. It should get to the dealer in 7-10 days. SA is ignoring my questions about valve lifters, and but I'm happy with the outcome anyway, as long as I'm getting the new engine.

It took them over 10 days to get the engine out of the car for tear down - could have been done faster. Looks like I'm going to miss another track weekend because of this issue.
Old 09-08-2017 | 01:34 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Awesome to hear that your new engine is smoother. I have to think that the previous engine with the wear was getting a bit rough.

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
That makes sense that the engine minimum is 475 and not anything less. Glad to hear that the new engine is smoother and it is working good for you. I wonder, towards the end of your other engines life, if it was down on power and maybe that's why you can't tell a difference in power loss on the new one? Either way, glad she's running good.
But we don't know if the new engine is putting out any less hp than the original. That number on the crate is just a number. We do not have any facts around what that number means, or the context.

Originally Posted by SKY57
After reading the 170 pages....

Seems like the the camshaft and FF issue is due to a design flaw and FOR SURE will fail just a matter of time?

If so, I would stay away from the 2015 GT3 for now. I have driven one extensively and truly truly loved it.
Just my mind tells me buying some thing that for sure will fail sooner or later is just not right.....
This topic has been discussed over and over. The 2014, 2015 and 2016 engines are all the same with regards to this issue. Some will fail, some will not.

BTW, I prefer to look at the glass as half full, not half empty. If Porsche wants to give me a new engine in a year or two (or 5), I am fine with that. This is a high performance engine. Who gives you that after 50,000 miles? This car is the deal of the century.
Old 09-08-2017 | 01:35 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Got the new engine authorized by Porsche. It should get to the dealer in 7-10 days. SA is ignoring my questions about valve lifters, and but I'm happy with the outcome anyway, as long as I'm getting the new engine.

It took them over 10 days to get the engine out of the car for tear down - could have been done faster. Looks like I'm going to miss another track weekend because of this issue.
Awesome Max. I knew they would give you the new engine, even when tracking. This is good info for anyone else concerned about the track warranty.
Old 09-08-2017 | 02:00 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Originally Posted by robmypro

But we don't know if the new engine is putting out any less hp than the original. That number on the crate is just a number. We do not have any facts around what that number means, or the context.
That number on the crate is just a number?? It is on there for some reason.
For 99.9% of people reading, I think we all would think that it is the HP(KW) that this particular engine made, if not, I would love to hear what it actually represents from Porsche. I can't see them putting a number on the side of the crate that represents the minimum hp that it should make, or any other representation for that fact.
Old 09-08-2017 | 02:08 PM
robmypro
Race Director

That number on the crate is just a number?? It is on there for some reason.
For 99.9% of people reading, I think we all would think that it is the HP(KW) that this particular engine made, if not, I would love to hear what it actually represents from Porsche. I can't see them putting a number on the side of the crate that represents the minimum hp that it should make, or any other representation for that fact.
It is on there for a reason. We just don't know WHAT that reason is. Therefore, I am not going to speculate. Also, a new FF manufacturing process isn't going to change the hp of the engine. This isn't a complete redesign.

It makes zero sense to assume that new finger followers would drastically impact the performance of the engine. If they had redesigned the heads, maybe I would wonder.

So...it is just a number and we have no context. Until then it means nothing to me.
Old 09-08-2017 | 02:15 PM
levd
Pro

It's an old engine anyway. It's dated 2015. I don't think it has some magical "new ff".
Old 09-08-2017 | 03:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by levd
It's an old engine anyway. It's dated 2015. I don't think it has some magical "new ff".
Good point. It is a non issue imo.
Old 09-08-2017 | 04:33 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Replacing a defective motor with another(older original problematic version) defective motor is definitely an issue in my mind. The inconvenience of having an engine replaced,(when the second engine fails) twice would not go well with me, but that's just me, time is important.
Old 09-08-2017 | 04:37 PM
levd
Pro

Replacing a defective motor with another(older version) defective motor is definitely an issue in my mind.
I would not bet a single penny on latest versions being significantly more reliable than original 2013 engines.
Old 09-08-2017 | 04:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Replacing a defective motor with another(older version) defective motor is definitely an issue in my mind. The inconvenience of having an engine replaced,(when the second engine fails) twice would not go well with me, but that's just me, time is important.
I am sure you are not alone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter. I just choose to look at it as a possitive. But that doesn't make your view wrong.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?