Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016 | 12:36 AM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Yeh. 1 extra year up to 100,000k miles
Thank you.
Old 09-30-2016 | 12:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

This is probably posted elsewhere, but I found it interesting to read about the expected increase in the duty cycle of the MA1 derived cup motor vs the old Mezger based engine.

"After the GT3 R, it’s the second car with our new generation of engines,” Porsche’s motorsports chief, Frank-Steffen Walliser, told C/D. In this case, “new generation” does not mean force-fed by a turbocharger. The 911 GT3 Cup is propelled by a free-breathing, direct-injected 4.0-liter flat-six-cylinder engine that makes 485 horsepower, up from the predecessor’s 460. Even more important, it offers far more torque at low revs, and this makes it a lot faster than before: “We’ve never taken such a big leap,” said Walliser. He also managed to cut running costs significantly. While the predecessor needed an engine tuneup every 40 hours and a transmission service every 30 hours, now the engine can go 80 to 100 hours, and the transmission needs attention only every 60 hours...."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...t-leap-so-far/
Old 09-30-2016 | 05:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
This is probably posted elsewhere, but I found it interesting to read about the expected increase in the duty cycle of the MA1 derived cup motor vs the old Mezger based engine. "After the GT3 R, it’s the second car with our new generation of engines,” Porsche’s motorsports chief, Frank-Steffen Walliser, told C/D. In this case, “new generation” does not mean force-fed by a turbocharger. The 911 GT3 Cup is propelled by a free-breathing, direct-injected 4.0-liter flat-six-cylinder engine that makes 485 horsepower, up from the predecessor’s 460. Even more important, it offers far more torque at low revs, and this makes it a lot faster than before: “We’ve never taken such a big leap,” said Walliser. He also managed to cut running costs significantly. While the predecessor needed an engine tuneup every 40 hours and a transmission service every 30 hours, now the engine can go 80 to 100 hours, and the transmission needs attention only every 60 hours...." http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...t-leap-so-far/
They must have the new DLC cams in those engines to give 80 race hours. Actually they must have a bit more than that I think...
Old 09-30-2016 | 10:07 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Default Another one bites the dust

it finally happened. Sunset Porsche pulled my engine and inspected the top end of my engine and got confirmation i have wear on my cam & followers.

My car is one of the original GT3's and it was manufactured on November 24th 2013, around the same time as Macca's and Mike_in_CA. It was also one of the first cars that received the replacement engine back in 1st week of June 2014. The car has 18,500 miles and first engine was replaced around 2000 miles, so this engine has 16,500 miles. Mostly they are street miles. However I have participated in few track events 3 total, and few autocrosses. Most of my street miles are backroad spirited driving with the exception of one trip to Laguna Sect to attend Rensport reunion last year. First sign of trouble was 1500 miles earlier, around May time, where I had a misfire shifting from 2nd to 3rd at redline, but error was gone when I turned off the car and I took it to Sunset and they could not see any stored codes nor could repeat the issue, so I proceeded to drive the car, and last Month, I had the same issue happen again doing the same thing shifting from 2nd to third at red line, but this time the error was stored at PCM with message stating reduced engine performance, ok to drive on, and also a check engine error message. I took it back to sunset and they indicated PCM is showing a misfire on cylinder #5, and they consulted with PCNA which they asked them to replace the spark plugs and coil pack and see if they can duplicate the error and in particular on the same cylinder. They tried but could not get the car to repeat the error, and I was given back the car earlier this month. I received a call from sunset on that same day indicating PCNA, after they became aware I have complained earlier about a misfire but no codes were stored, to bring the car back so they can drop the engine and perform a visual inspection. So I scheduled the car to be returned to Sunset on September 26th, so I can use it at an Autocross event on the 25th. However last week, and the day before at the Autocross and during a spirited drive on backroads the car displayed the reduced engine performance message and again during a shift from second to third close to redline, but the message was cleared when I turned off the engine, so I took the car to the Autocross and it did fine without an incident. On the way back from Autocross the same error message appeared again during a shift close to redline from 2nd to third alone with a check engine message and this time the error was stored in PCM. Brought the car back to sunset last Monday and today I got confirmation there Are excessive wear to the cam & followers. They took pictures and sent to PCNA To get further instructions how to proceed. Unfortunately PCNA is closed on Monday so we won't hear back from them until Tuesday.

Here are few pictures of the damaged parts....https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0YGrq0zwGFlea1

Not sure what PCNA would recommend but from reading some of your comments it is likely they would recommend a top end rebuild. The question is do I have a shot of getting a new engine (G), or would I be wasting my time trying. Please let me know your thoughts and if an engine top end rebuild is a good solution. I am really concerned keeping the car beyond warranty period. This failure would have shown much earlier had I continued to pile the miles at the same rate I did during the first 18 months (16000 miles), but I bought a 2016 GT4, 2016 Spyder and 2017 911 4S targa and have been racking the miles on these cars instead. I have put only 2000 miles on GT3 in the past 12 months. Please let me know your thoughts. Mark
Old 09-30-2016 | 10:44 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Well...bad news Mark. They will want to give you a new top-end. They haven't been handing out new engines like they did a year ago. And your engine is a pretty good example of how long the top end will last when not tracked, turns out the answer is <20,000 miles. No where close to what one should expect in a modern car. Thanks for the update. PM Macca if you want a more detailed following of all this debacle.
Old 09-30-2016 | 10:46 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
This is probably posted elsewhere, but I found it interesting to read about the expected increase in the duty cycle of the MA1 derived cup motor vs the old Mezger based engine.

"After the GT3 R, it’s the second car with our new generation of engines,” Porsche’s motorsports chief, Frank-Steffen Walliser, told C/D. In this case, “new generation” does not mean force-fed by a turbocharger. The 911 GT3 Cup is propelled by a free-breathing, direct-injected 4.0-liter flat-six-cylinder engine that makes 485 horsepower, up from the predecessor’s 460. Even more important, it offers far more torque at low revs, and this makes it a lot faster than before: “We’ve never taken such a big leap,” said Walliser. He also managed to cut running costs significantly. While the predecessor needed an engine tuneup every 40 hours and a transmission service every 30 hours, now the engine can go 80 to 100 hours, and the transmission needs attention only every 60 hours...."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...t-leap-so-far/
More than doubling recommended time between rebuilds is huge and welcome news.
Old 09-30-2016 | 10:47 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Mark quite the stable , I trust PCNA will take Proper care , given your allegiance
Sorry you had to revive this thread
Old 09-30-2016 | 10:51 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Well...bad news Mark. They will want to give you a new top-end. They haven't been handing out new engines like they did a year ago. And your engine is a pretty good example of how long the top end will last when not tracked, turns out the answer is <20,000 miles. No where close to what one should expect in a modern car. Thanks for the update. PM Macca if you want a more detailed following of all this debacle.
I have 16K+ street and track miles on mine, and still ticking (figuratively, not literally), not burning oil, and giving ever faster lap times. I'm afraid to schedule more than 1 track day at a time though, after all these posts. Almost want it to fail to get over with it.
Old 09-30-2016 | 10:56 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

^very similar #s for me
Hate to abuse BUT maybe we should skip
Engine warm up before full boot
Old 09-30-2016 | 11:15 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

mqandil I am sorry to hear you are the latest to suffer the valve train fate and its early onset damage. We are all following this thread and the great work Macca and others have done to document the failures that seemed to only occur on tracked cars at 5-8000 miles. The eye opener is the fact that we all accept the pay to play at the track idea and no other car seems to scratch the itch like these gt cars, but for a car of this caliber and cost to fail with normal street use is something that is starting to bother me.

After looking at those pictures I see more than just a lack of a microscopic coating being scraped away. I see large grooves in the base metal that have floated to somewhere else in the engine.

The microscopic particles of dlc coating are not what causes main bearing and other oiled surfaces to scuff and wear, it's the pieces of base metal that used to be part of that follower that after an upper end rebuild result in an rod or main bearing failure at 40k miles.

I would have the shop open the filter for evidence and at minimum demand an entire engine evaluation to see the other bearing surfaces and possibly a complete replacement. 160k/20000 miles. Porsche will pay for this once but when it happens again at 40k and this time it's every oiled bearing surface you may have a real issue.
Old 09-30-2016 | 11:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mqandil
it finally happened. Sunset Porsche pulled my engine and inspected the top end of my engine and got confirmation i have wear on my cam & followers.

My car is one of the original GT3's and it was manufactured on November 24th 2013, around the same time as Macca's and Mike_in_CA. It was also one of the first cars that received the replacement engine back in 1st week of June 2014. The car has 18,500 miles and first engine was replaced around 2000 miles, so this engine has 16,500 miles. Mostly they are street miles. However I have participated in few track events 3 total, and few autocrosses. Most of my street miles are backroad spirited driving with the exception of one trip to Laguna Sect to attend Rensport reunion last year. First sign of trouble was 1500 miles earlier, around May time, where I had a misfire shifting from 2nd to 3rd at redline, but error was gone when I turned off the car and I took it to Sunset and they could not see any stored codes nor could repeat the issue, so I proceeded to drive the car, and last Month, I had the same issue happen again doing the same thing shifting from 2nd to third at red line, but this time the error was stored at PCM with message stating reduced engine performance, ok to drive on, and also a check engine error message. I took it back to sunset and they indicated PCM is showing a misfire on cylinder #5, and they consulted with PCNA which they asked them to replace the spark plugs and coil pack and see if they can duplicate the error and in particular on the same cylinder. They tried but could not get the car to repeat the error, and I was given back the car earlier this month. I received a call from sunset on that same day indicating PCNA, after they became aware I have complained earlier about a misfire but no codes were stored, to bring the car back so they can drop the engine and perform a visual inspection. So I scheduled the car to be returned to Sunset on September 26th, so I can use it at an Autocross event on the 25th. However last week, and the day before at the Autocross and during a spirited drive on backroads the car displayed the reduced engine performance message and again during a shift from second to third close to redline, but the message was cleared when I turned off the engine, so I took the car to the Autocross and it did fine without an incident. On the way back from Autocross the same error message appeared again during a shift close to redline from 2nd to third alone with a check engine message and this time the error was stored in PCM. Brought the car back to sunset last Monday and today I got confirmation there Are excessive wear to the cam & followers. They took pictures and sent to PCNA To get further instructions how to proceed. Unfortunately PCNA is closed on Monday so we won't hear back from them until Tuesday.

Here are few pictures of the damaged parts....https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0YGrq0zwGFlea1

Not sure what PCNA would recommend but from reading some of your comments it is likely they would recommend a top end rebuild. The question is do I have a shot of getting a new engine (G), or would I be wasting my time trying. Please let me know your thoughts and if an engine top end rebuild is a good solution. I am really concerned keeping the car beyond warranty period. This failure would have shown much earlier had I continued to pile the miles at the same rate I did during the first 18 months (16000 miles), but I bought a 2016 GT4, 2016 Spyder and 2017 911 4S targa and have been racking the miles on these cars instead. I have put only 2000 miles on GT3 in the past 12 months. Please let me know your thoughts. Mark
I am sorry to hear that Mark. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I wish you all the best to have this resolved to your satisfaction!
Old 09-30-2016 | 11:44 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Thanks for the update and photos, Mark. And best of luck with the repair/replacement!
Old 10-01-2016 | 12:41 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for all the kind words and support. I love this forum and Have the atmost respect for you guys. You guys are the best. I will keep you updated with all the development of this repair until all fixed. I am not really upset this has happened as I would rather deal with this issue now, during the warranty period rather than later but I am really concerned owning this car beyond warranty period. It can get very expensive owning this beast.

I agree with S996 assessment & observations of the deep groves and that large chunks of metal must have traveled through the engine and most likely ended up in the oil filter. Unfortunately I had an oil change last month, so most of the evidence is gone. I would still inspect the current oil filter and hopefully we can still see some metal trapped inside.

I also wanted to let you know that although I drive the car hard, I take extreme care to not let engine go above 3K until oil temperature is above 190F, and I also did baby this engin for the first 1400 miles on both engines. I changed the oil every 3000 to 4000 miles on the average. One final observation, aside from the error message from PCM there was no other indications something was wrong. Engine pulled hard and smooth all the way till it was taken apart. The engine sounded good with no strange or abnormal sounds, and the oil consumption have actually reduced significantly in the last few thousand miles. The engine/exhaust after 12k miles stopped producing the excessive smoke, that it used to produce at start up when the car was new and was embarrassing as the smoke filled the air and ended up at my neighbors front yards. Bottom line the car/engine was running perfect with no indication something was wrong aside from the occasional misfire/check engine message that occured only few times when shifting at redline at 2nd gear or higher. Even after it happened the engine sounded perfect and the car ran great, and pulling strong. Very deceptive, and giving you false sense of security! Again thanks to all of you, will keep you posted. Mark
Old 10-01-2016 | 03:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mark. Firstly, commiserations!

Secondly, congratulations.

You have done very well to get this far IMO. One of the "leaders on the board". I do believe that a lack of track work has helped significantly with the lonegivity of your valve train along with regular oil changes and good warm up protocol. I also believe that there is some variance in when particular engine will trigger the "missfire code". Some, like my own, with very little wear to the finger follower pad, others like yourself after quite alot of wear and material has been removed from the face of the pad.

The reality of the situation is that there is nothing you could have done to avoid this. The good news is I believe at the very least you will receive the new heads with DLC cams and finger followers etc. It is possible you will receive an entirely new "G1" engine, the same architecture used in the lastest RS and 911R. Even better. Either way I would not be overly concerned, the filer is on the valve-train side and should have caught the majority of the debris one would hope. If you receive the new G1 engine maybe you will keep this car forever -0 it will be the only 8500++ screamer, if not then the choice is yours to enjoy and then sell when the warranty is up. Push hard and see if you can get the full engine, state your concerns with the material missing and possible effects to the bottom end etc.

I know this is not the time or place for it, but there is much talk the new 991.2 GT3 will adopt the 2017 911 GT3 Cup engine architecture and this will arrest the problem, along with the reduced redline for good. I do hope thats the case. People are pointing to oiling as the issue. But its clear there is more at play here than just throwing more lubricant at the mating surfaces between cam lobe and finger follower. Perhaps the recent DLC on DLC factory solution finally addresses this for good, and the timing of this update after the 9A1 motorsports engine was finalized and run in series 9jan 2016) would indicate to me this is a strong possibility. If not then I would suggest a total redisgn is in play with the current motorsports 9A1 engine and this will manifest itself as a production variant in the next 991.2 GT3. Only time will tell, if the DLC/DLC solution is the only significant change to the engines forthwith then rest assured your new heads/engine will serve you well for a long time. If the engine can be made 100% reliable I cant see what more one could want from a GT3 package such as the 991.1 GT3 (other than MT for those who do not track frequently).

Please keep up informed of progress. Travel well.
Old 10-01-2016 | 03:24 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Bad luck...but if it's any consolation my engine has been running better than ever since my rebuild.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?