Sponsored by:

Setup numbers RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
yep have had sc come in a few times when to hot into turn 4 at top of S'ss at RA, glad it was there. If your car is not loose then I need to document were my setup is now. Maybe not right to begin with. I am not fast but managed a 1:35.4 in rs, ran 35.2 in the 3 though. Rs to me felt stable but I may be at skill bubble limit or could be insurance limit
Hugh I would have the car checked out and get a baseline of where it sits. My car as delivered from the dealer was way off. Different tow and different camber settings from side to side and front and rear. It would push and then snap very similar to how your a describing your car. That doesn't play well at AMP or Road Atlanta unless you are wanting to show off your ability for opposite lock. I haven't driven it on track with the new setup from Motor Werks Racing but on the street the car feels a lot more planted both front and rear. The changes we made were to stiffen the bars front and rear. Front is middle stiff and rear is full stiff. We changed the camber on both to more negative but I can't remember the exact specs.

next time you are going up to AMP give me a shout and lets see if we can compare the two cars setup wise.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:01 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Seth! thanks for this. will have it base lined and report back. would love to go AMP with you. lets figure out some dates in Jan if you have time. I have AIM Solo now with camera. Have data from Leh up there to.

Thanks also Peter. will look in the manual again. do not remember seeing ride height but then again i am not a read the instructions first type.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Hughp3, its not in the manual, its the July issued document for specific RS track use and tire clearance:
Attached Images
Old 12-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

^ From the above document:

Old 12-28-2016, 04:56 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Kobalt
Old 12-28-2016, 09:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
GREAT real-world feedback !!!! THANK you my good friend.
Pleasure Phil. You will find my comments written up under another thread from 4-5 months ago an there may be a bot more detail there, but after a further 2-3 track days I think the above is a suitable synopsis to how I feel about the DSC but others may differ...
Old 12-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I have been running the DSC unit for most of 2016 (12 track days so far). I like it on the road but Im not a huge fan on the track. Too many "live" factors changing themselves differently each time you take a different line into a corner etc. The short answer is Id give it a miss. The factory shocks dont have the resolution to make best hypothetical use of the system IMO, and it simply adds a who layer of complex programming and fettleing that is required to get it set up for each driver and track.
Hello Macca,

I am sorry to hear that your experience with DSC on track is a miss. Based on your description of corner entry my guess is the Sensitively value in the software is set too high. Here's a screenshot showing the Sensitivity value at the lower portion of the image highlighted in red.

Our software calibrator sets this value to 25 to 30 for his personal preference. The beauty of DSC is the software to tuneable to each driver's preference. I too have felt what you have described so my personal preference is a Sensitively value of 15 for track use, which to me produces the level of corner entry feel that I want. Each increment of 5 makes a noticeable difference. If you don't mind, send me your current setting file. I would like to compare the changes that were made. Always glad to offer any support.

Full disclosure: The 991 GT3/RS factory PASM setting is Very good on track compared to other models. Actually in our opinion its the most hooked up GT road car right out of the showroom thus far. On smoother tracks with mild curbing any improvement with DSC is marginal since the factory setting is that good. For those who drive their GT3/RS on street, drive to/from tracks, drive on not so smooth tracks and not so flat curbing the improvement with DSC will be pronounced. Actually we sold our 991 GT3 development car when we realized we can't make a big leap in improvement as a track car unless we were prepared to go all the way with full cage, stripped interior, lots of Cup car carbon fiber, Crawford wing, and etc. Short of turning the car to a race car we made reasonable gain with alignment, side muffler bypass pipes, lowered the rear height by 2mm from weight reduction of bypass pipes, corner balance, and DSC for street and the no so smooth North American tracks. This car was no good to us as a development car for bolt-on parts, LOL, we feel it is really is already that good! So we moved on and got a GT4 and a 991.2 Carrera S for development. I always inform 991 GT3 owners who phone us up to inquire about DSC on the level of expectation for type of driving they do.

Its definitely not plug and play as they will have you believe - I and a good friend with a GT4 have spent extensive time with the NZ importer having these set up for our cars. they can be made to work fine at one track then you go to another and the programming doesnt work so well.
Regarding your friend's GT4, I am sorry to hear of his experience as well. The feedbacks from other GT4 owners using DSC with our standard setting have been very positive for street and track as evident in the GT4 forum. I'd like to see the changes that were made to this too.

Stay with the four static dampers, at least your *** can calibrate and tell you whats happening with the chassis whereas the DSC is active so the parameters are changing all the time.
Referring to the screenshot above, the standard DSC mapping is at 80% damping force(compression) on LF and LR at 0.6 lat-g. For me, a long as the Sensitivity value is set to my preference I get to and stay at the >80% damping force with ease. At one time I did have the Sensitively value too high which caused me to "pause" for a moment on entry and loss the g force and resulted in car feeling plush on entry. The dynamic damping is mostly based on the g's. One could change those damping value numbers to perhaps achieve 100% damping force at lower g's should desired.

Sorry, OP, for going off topic.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 12-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
What do you guys think about the DSC unit from TPC? Seems like they have put in the R&D.

http://www.tpcracing.com
We'll be offering free DSC demo at DMTD(David Murry Track Days) at Sebring Jan 31 - Feb 01. Takes less than 10 minutes or less to plug-in. Plug-in and drive for a session. No strings attached.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
We'll be offering free DSC demo at DMTD(David Murry Track Days) at Sebring Jan 31 - Feb 01. Takes less than 10 minutes or less to plug-in. Plug-in and drive for a session. No strings attached.
Your DSC is available for the 991RS and GT4?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Your DSC is available for the 991RS and GT4?
Yes and Yes. From east coast to west coast, and Europe the GT4 track guys all like it. We don't have as many 991 GT3/RS DSC modules out there probably because the factory PASM setting is very good so it creates less demand for DSC. Also because when I get inquires for 991 GT3/RS DSC I disclose the expected level of improvement is not a high as for GT4 and all the 997-series cars, this usually make people shy away. But the ones that have it in the US really like it.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

My 13,000 mile Labstone report.
Last oil change 6 track days and 3000 miles ago:
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Old 01-23-2017, 08:08 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For those that had your ride height and alignment updated per the bulletin, did your dealer perform the service at their cost or yours?

Thx

Ryan
Old 01-24-2017, 03:48 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

For me it was free (Did it in Germany), Friend in Sweden did it in Sweden and it was free.
Some others in Sweden: It was not free...
Old 01-24-2017, 06:30 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I asked for it to be done for free in Belgium... they politely declined.

Quick Reply: Setup numbers RS