Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Before buying my GT3 from PP (RL member!) i called around, went to dealerships, checked cars.com religously, etc. The dealers were all $5k to $20k over MSRP, and my local dealer didn't have one. I saved a few grand and went PP, but more importantly I got the exact car i was looking for. I also didn't really want to spoil the experience by going through a dealer.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:00 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how many miles of tracks so far?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:16 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robmypro
Before buying my GT3 from PP (RL member!) i called around, went to dealerships, checked cars.com religously, etc. The dealers were all $5k to $20k over MSRP, and my local dealer didn't have one. I saved a few grand and went PP, but more importantly I got the exact car i was looking for. I also didn't really want to spoil the experience by going through a dealer.
what is PP? Can PP get RSs?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:21 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Private party.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:29 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Maybe is not clear
No more 991.1 RS current production is already sold!

Wait the next train or pay over MSRP
Old 01-15-2016, 07:58 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by baronm69
Not sure what makes you read "I am new to the brand and young so my Porsche dealer owes me an RS".

It's "I am passionate about cars and plan on building a car collection, order it and KEEP it, I will put more miles on this car that 95% of RS owners (which has a value to Porsche as a company, to have their products used, on the road), and yes, I am younger than the average demographics of the Porsche 911 clientele, which DOES have a value to Porsche as a company, as it is good to encourage clients with higher potential than the average (see potential as "buy higher end models, more often, participate to car events and promote the brand) to stay in the brand. Porsche is not the only brand out there when you like cars a lot.

I can very well live without an RS.
it's also likely I'll learn to live without a P car in the end if Porsche cannot follow me up while I up my car game in the coming years.
It's nice how you make a case that fits your position in life. Porshe could care less about your age or you annual miles. They are in the business to sell cars and do a very good job at it. Porshe does not have to answer to you but only to there shareholders. Look at the big picture, you and I are not in it.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:32 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Have they announced allocation for the Gen. 2 GT3RS' yet?

Like most said before me....If you want to purchase a limited edition Porsche you need to get in bed with a dealership and most likely put down a hefty deposit. Also be prepared to pay a market premium. Porsche has been following Ferrari's "you have to earn the right to buy" mentality regarding their limited production vehicles. If you don't like it, go buy a GTR, McLaren or whatever vehicle their direct competitors have in inventory. Unfortunately Porsche doesn't give a ****.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:43 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 232 Posts

^true and it sucks.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:55 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems you're young and energetic but Porsche doesn't care. Listen to the experienced customers here on RL on what to do. I think most know what they're talking about. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:56 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If I was a Porsche exec., I am not sure how much I would care as they have created a great momentum that **** off clients like me, but make many other clients very happy.
1 lost for 1 happy. The car is sold. They hype and premiums are there.
> Winner for Porsche.

BUT...

Porsches (at least 911s) are not just vehicles. They sell "dreams".
If their other models can command a good premium, its not only about quality.
It's also because their live off a different "hype", a hype from the past when they had 911s only and were making car kids like me dream of their "exclusive car" as in the past, it was just exclusive to have a Porsche.
Now to have an exclusive Porsche, you need a Gt3, RS, GT4 and the likes.

So yes, somehow, exec. at Porsche should keep a slice of their production for guys like us.

Now...this being said...how does Porsche identifies such clients?
Through dealers (!), Porsche Cup events....I have no time (and no money enough) to be a Porsche Cup client.

Issue is I have no interest to licking the *** of a Porsche dealer which looked down on me when I came in to buy my first 911 or other would sold me a Turbo and made me feel like I bought a pair of sneakers.
(So you guys know, the experience of buying a car in Europe is MUCH better than any dealer in the US).
I have no interest in buying 1 car a year just for the sake of bing a VIP client, as there will always be a VIPer client (starting with the dealership owner).

It's a game. Not good in your are not already in.

Sounds like you went to Porsche of Tysons lol. Try rockville next time. Much better manager there. Though if you want a GT2 RS get in line behind me, I got their first 2 allocations.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:15 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BK77
If you have multiple P dealers in your city, pick one (that you like) and stick to just one. Dealers work hard to build a customers loyalty so repay the favor and be loyal to them. If they like you and your don't act like a complete D-Bag and your a humble 32 year old they will respect you. Also, since you have along way to go to show your loyalty to them, I suggest you volunteer $$ for them to hold as a deposit. A lot of guys will disagree with this bc you wont make any interest on it, but it shows your a serious buyer.... Better than the market right now

That's how you should go about it, but using a RS as a DD is just dumb. Have you ever been in a RS, or scud? Don't buy a car bc it's the "cool" or you want to impress someone. I'm telling you now you will hate DD a RS! If you are in the position to spend 200K+ on a car you should be able to spend 230K. If you do get a chance to buy a RS do it, and go take the other 30K and buy a car you can DD. Trust me, I've been down this road
^^This X 1000%

Well put.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:19 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Isn't that nice. Seems you are the fairly young new client to the brand so you should be sold an RS. It doesn't work like that. Either pay the premium ( I'm personally against that ) or start making personal connections with dealerships to get on their list. Maybe you get lucky maybe you don't. Lastly learn to live WO an RS if all else fails, it's just a car.
Yep.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, you are trying to climb a ladder. It isn't easy to start on the fourth or fifth rung. At this particular time, an RS at MSRP configured by the owner is a fairly high rung.

Everyone here has given you really solid advice about the different possibilities. They have covered pretty much every likely path, including going to a brand like McLaren that is younger and much more hungry for relationships. If a disconnect exists - and I am not saying one does - it is that you have bought into the branding but perhaps forgotten that this is ultimately a luxury goods business. I have spent worked in the field, on the branding side. Among my clients were some Porsche-level car companies. They develop, manage, and promote a brand with great care and an element of luck. They are not good at listening to anyone, owners included. Few of the brands think long term because few of the marketing people will spend more than a few years in their jobs. They will not allow the branding to get in the way of the profit.

Excuse me for speaking in broad generalities as I have not worked with Porsche, but those with which I worked and met consider "real enthusiasts" to be those who are buying a steady stream of expensive cars from them (one per year minimum and usually holding on to 3+ of that brand at once), paying the ask, using their dealers for all service and when they sell into the secondary market. Best case scenario, these same owners have a few of the vintage models, show them, and make them available to the brand so they don't have to maintain their own fleet of cars they no longer sell.

They often consider owners to be enthusiasts without following the path I have described if they can help promote the brand in such a way as to attract other frequent buyers. Hence, celebrities of one type and another may be able to step directly from the ground to a high rung.

The premium brands do not really consider people who dreamed of their "RS" all their life, scrimped and saved, and finally got one, to be enthusiasts although they indubitably are. They are valuable enthusiasts, the true backbone of the brand's image and promise, and they spend money with the brand for a lifetime in the form of t-shirts, key rings, etc, etc, but those are tiny amounts of money except in aggregate: those people simply pay to promote the brand. Those "low level" enthusiasts are only of value when a "warm and fuzzy" PR piece is needed to help in some way, usually to introduce a new model of which the firm is unsure, or to offset bad PR.

The brands rarely reach out to anyone but the first type of buyer. Even the second type of buyer is preferred if they come to the brand. The third type of buyer is irrelevant unless there is a model that isn't selling and they might buy it, or when the economy has tanked and the "smart money" is cancelling orders.

Which type of client are you? Consider it honestly, and then build the relationship as best you can. Possibly the best idea if you are not ready to buy a car per year and flip back to the dealer is to buy a high-end one pre-owned and at a slight premium. Unless you want something truly outlandish, chances are fairly high a brand ambassador (salesperson) can keep scanning the dealer network for one that has the options you want. Keep in contact. Get to know them. Find a way to be helpful. Make it clear you are low hanging fruit intending to become the first type of buyer I mentioned, and follow through. If offered a car because the dealer needs to sell it, and if that car meets 95% of your needs, buy it. Eventually you may get to build your own RS. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:06 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Banango
OP, you are trying to climb a ladder. It isn't easy to start on the fourth or fifth rung. At this particular time, an RS at MSRP configured by the owner is a fairly high rung.

Everyone here has given you really solid advice about the different possibilities. They have covered pretty much every likely path, including going to a brand like McLaren that is younger and much more hungry for relationships. If a disconnect exists - and I am not saying one does - it is that you have bought into the branding but perhaps forgotten that this is ultimately a luxury goods business. I have spent worked in the field, on the branding side. Among my clients were some Porsche-level car companies. They develop, manage, and promote a brand with great care and an element of luck. They are not good at listening to anyone, owners included. Few of the brands think long term because few of the marketing people will spend more than a few years in their jobs. They will not allow the branding to get in the way of the profit.

Excuse me for speaking in broad generalities as I have not worked with Porsche, but those with which I worked and met consider "real enthusiasts" to be those who are buying a steady stream of expensive cars from them (one per year minimum and usually holding on to 3+ of that brand at once), paying the ask, using their dealers for all service and when they sell into the secondary market. Best case scenario, these same owners have a few of the vintage models, show them, and make them available to the brand so they don't have to maintain their own fleet of cars they no longer sell.

They often consider owners to be enthusiasts without following the path I have described if they can help promote the brand in such a way as to attract other frequent buyers. Hence, celebrities of one type and another may be able to step directly from the ground to a high rung.

The premium brands do not really consider people who dreamed of their "RS" all their life, scrimped and saved, and finally got one, to be enthusiasts although they indubitably are. They are valuable enthusiasts, the true backbone of the brand's image and promise, and they spend money with the brand for a lifetime in the form of t-shirts, key rings, etc, etc, but those are tiny amounts of money except in aggregate: those people simply pay to promote the brand. Those "low level" enthusiasts are only of value when a "warm and fuzzy" PR piece is needed to help in some way, usually to introduce a new model of which the firm is unsure, or to offset bad PR.

The brands rarely reach out to anyone but the first type of buyer. Even the second type of buyer is preferred if they come to the brand. The third type of buyer is irrelevant unless there is a model that isn't selling and they might buy it, or when the economy has tanked and the "smart money" is cancelling orders.

Which type of client are you? Consider it honestly, and then build the relationship as best you can. Possibly the best idea if you are not ready to buy a car per year and flip back to the dealer is to buy a high-end one pre-owned and at a slight premium. Unless you want something truly outlandish, chances are fairly high a brand ambassador (salesperson) can keep scanning the dealer network for one that has the options you want. Keep in contact. Get to know them. Find a way to be helpful. Make it clear you are low hanging fruit intending to become the first type of buyer I mentioned, and follow through. If offered a car because the dealer needs to sell it, and if that car meets 95% of your needs, buy it. Eventually you may get to build your own RS. Good luck.

Very good post. I agree with you. It is what it is.

Now, if I need to buy a car per year, and maintain 3 plus play the vintage game to have what, the right to get an RS, i find it too much. For a 918. not for an rs.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Now, if I need to buy a car per year, and maintain 3 plus play the vintage game to have what, the right to get an RS, i find it too much. For a 918. not for an rs.
I was expressing what I have seen at the brand - manufacturer, importer, distributor - level because you seemed to be pitching at that level. Dealers can sell to whomever they please, and do; still tough, but work on the dealer relationship. They sometimes even think long term. Try and find a salesperson who will be there more than a few product cycles. DPs and their kids tend to be good for that, if they are running the dealership correctly.

As to the RS...it is a limited edition, realistic car that could conceivably hold value. With enough time it could even appreciate. I believe they will make many more of those than 918s, and they are somewhat less compromised. Honestly...if you want to enjoy driving the car, don't wait, buy pre-owned. Dealer can offer CPO and the best chance of finding the config you want without you hunting constantly. If that doesn't matter, go PP. An awful lot of options can be added after the fact of you really need them. IMO, the joy of cars is in driving them. There are better pieces of furniture and even art, but a sports car is the best sports car!

Quick Reply: How to get one?