Sponsored by:

How to get one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Make, and be willing to spend, more money.

Then you can have whatever you want.

Push comes to shove, you could just buy an entire Porsche dealer and buy every single GT3 RS allocation that comes your way.

Really not that complicated.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:41 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Why a 991 RS? Why not a 997 RS? How about get your feet wet with a 991 GT3. You can find a private party one for around MSRP.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

in my own experience, dealer don't give rap what u buy. mor my is literally UNLIMITED in Silicon Valley. the Goog FB engineers, private equity funds, IP law offices are literally within walking distance to the dealership. if u spit from FB camp it's, it lands I. Carlsen manager's desk. it's that close.

in this neighborhood, if u habe to TELL the dealers to put u on the list, u are not high up enough on the pecking order.

that's how bad it is..
Old 01-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
It's nice how you make a case that fits your position in life. Porshe could care less about your age or you annual miles. They are in the business to sell cars and do a very good job at it. Porshe does not have to answer to you but only to there shareholders. Look at the big picture, you and I are not in it.
The only thing in the picture last time I looked was $.

That's all that will be in the picture.

As others have said build a good relationship with a dealer, put a deposit down and get in line.

If you want an RS that bad they can be had now for around $275k me thinks. Just may have to give up the option you may have wanted. On balance not bad if you must have one now.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:00 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by baronm69
I have been a member of the Porsche family for about 13 months, daily driving a 991 C2S which I upgraded to a 991.1 Turbo 4 months ago.
I think you need to come to terms with the reality that 13 months of ownership is not a relationship with Porsche.

There are more than thousands of long term Porsche owners in the USA that have 10+ years of being loyal customers of specific dealers or with the brand in general. Whether they have bought 1 Porsche and DD it or many more, they have shown patience, long term commitment, and have already done the participating in PCA events, etc.

These people should be rightfully ahead of you and the many others that pop out of the woodwork to ask for special treatment when the really good stuff drop, expecting somehow to be miracled into an MSRP car. These are the long term brand ambassadors that have *shown* over time their commitment, not just spoken of it in the abstract.

Patience is a virtue - it you want to order special cars from Porsche in the future, read the advise on this thread and come back in a few years when you have shown real loyalty to the brand rather than promises.

Alternatively you can try this kind of stunt .. sometimes it works

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-nj-ct-pa.html
Old 01-16-2016, 10:12 AM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The dealers, all of them, are accustomed to dealing with customers with unlimited wealth.
The key is to be a humble customer with a personality. There are a shortage of those.

The old adage -It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice- has some merit here.

I forged a great relationship with my dealer, from nothing, that took 8 years to come to fruition.
(I bought a used 997 gt3 from them)
All of it based on character, none of it based on personal wealth.

And now, I have access to the gt cars when they come out. No lists, no deposits, no bs. Just a simple "can I get one of those?"

Fwiw, like all of my gt cars, I will daily the **** out of my rs when it gets here.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:13 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

This thread makes me sad as Porsche enthusiasts. Is this Ferrari chat? I'm lost. Hopefully Stuttgart reads and up production as much as they can or second best if the economy collapses again.

Porsche Is a drivers brand and yes they make limited edition cars. 918 was some of them. I was asked and almost begged to buy not to many years ago. Obviously not good for the brand. But I would rather have it that way than the way it is now.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:44 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

I don t understand this sadness
Why blame Porsche??

Do you blame Porsche because a 993 Turbo is so expensive???

It s very long time on RL we are repeating 991 GT3 /RS are last NA and what Porsche which knew it before US did? Sell them at MSRP
I was even offered 1RS in Jan 2015!!! as some other RListers here a 991 RS discounted! 6% MSRP!

Now that production is over ppl cry to get one?? Go on used market and buy one

GT3/RS are since ever not volume cars
and ppl waking up too late shouldn t blame the brand but themself

I can blame Porsche for a better engineering here and there
(Lighter true motorsport PDK- at the expense of less PAG profit Thanks! = NOT A VOLUME GT PLS or your shareholders will pretend same mega profits on our GT = poor engineering components)
but hey on Macan Pannys ok go ahead VAG

We spend our money energies time for these GT keeping
the Porsche appeal high
We merit more in engineering and less profits calculations rather than pretending in somebody else waking you up in time

Good news there will be others brand new GT from Porsche
Used market is also not closed
Neither Ruf, Singer & co.

and please Porsche keep staying LOW on GT volumes!!!
to keep as long as possible stockholders (for niche GT)
distructive hands away

Last edited by fxz; 01-16-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:02 AM
baronm69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
This thread makes me sad as Porsche enthusiasts. Is this Ferrari chat? I'm lost. Hopefully Stuttgart reads and up production as much as they can or second best if the economy collapses again.

Porsche Is a drivers brand and yes they make limited edition cars. 918 was some of them. I was asked and almost begged to buy not to many years ago. Obviously not good for the brand. But I would rather have it that way than the way it is now.
Originally Posted by fxz
Why blame Porsche??

It s very long time on RL we are repeating 991 GT3 /RS are last NA and what Porsche which knew it before US did? Sell them at MSRP
I was even offered 1RS in Jan 2015!!! as some other RListers here a 991 RS discounted! 6% MSRP!

GT3/RS have since ever not volune car
!

I totally get 997s40 is saying.
I don't think we should blame Porsche, nor is Porsche to be blamed.
It is a company.
They are dealing with something they don't really control, which is the 400-500% increase in collectors car or any car that be looked like a collectors car. Even though they now actively profit from it.

Now, if need to play "Ferrari game", I will play it with Ferrari.
Porsche has great products, they got me hooked, for the money you probably get more value than with a Ferrari (see Speciale vs GT3 RS at msrp)...but Porsche is no Ferrari.
We are talking about an RS, which is a limited edition of a massively produced car which is not that unaffordable while premium: the 911.

And again, not blaming anyone. And not waking up too late.

The problem is both the massive wealth combined with the massive hype buying limited edition cars.

This seems like leaving guys like me (and we are numerous) on the side of the road. We have money, we have a passion for the product, but we are now competing to get those cars which is new.
And you can't compete the massive wealth and such hype which pushes many new buyers into those vehicles.

In the past, clients for an RS type (include Challenge stradales and the likes) were so few. You had to be nuts to buy one. You had to be a car nut, and had the funds.

This is indeed sad. For me. Porsche stockholders are happy. Investors are happy. This is the latest rules of this game.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:15 AM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I was asked and almost begged to buy not to many years ago. Obviously not good for the brand. But I would rather have it that way than the way it is now.
Very true.

This is why, in spite of the success of their current strategy, Porsche as a factory should make sure to satisfy clients like some of us.
Possibly by making sure the vast majority of the limited edition cars go to people who will keep the cars and use the cars.
This is what Ferrari now does. They leave little to the dealer, which is also bad.
Porsche is newer to the hype game, and maybe the best world would reside into keeping a slice of the production which would be "factory" allocated.
To keep more of the core clients happy.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:25 AM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 0to60
It's nice how you make a case that fits your position in life. Porshe could care less about your age or you annual miles. They are in the business to sell cars and do a very good job at it. Porshe does not have to answer to you but only to there shareholders. Look at the big picture, you and I are not in it.
Isn't the purpose in life, make a case for oneself?

LE Cars on the road are a live commercial for ALL of their products. It is important to see them on the road.

What makes Porsche a Porsche besides engineering that on paar with the other germans?
Aura.

And where does Aura comes from?
Racing (which is outstandingly successfully done those days but has no impact whatsoever on their fame as no one really cares anymore), 50yr+ clients who were there when Porsche was mostly a 911 brand which by itself at the time was analog, raw and "make you a hero" for driving and owning one, and up and coming clients (like me, very humbly) who are rarer and rarer those days and who probably share a similar approach/psychology as the 50+ year old clients when it comes to how they consider the P-brand in general.

Soon, the 50yr old client will stop buying cars, and the clients in my demographics won't be sufficient to maintain the momentum of the current aura which again, is mostly based on the past.
Are as many 20-30 year old dreaming about owning a Porsche those days like they used to in the past? Certainly not. Times have changed. Dreams have changed. Cars and the use you can make of them has changed.

Ferrari, has a very current aura. Lamborghini has no aura. McLaren is trying to build one and is likely never to achieve it due to demographics (way most millennial think, transformation of the car business with self driving...).

Soon, when the clients maintaining the aura/passion alive will be gone, this will leave the brands with the vast majority of their current clients: the mainstream products (macan, cayenne..) clients that can't care less about Porsche for Porsche. They want high end reliable premium + cars a little different from the neighbors X5.
Porsche will no longer be porsche. it will just be a premium manufacturer.

What I'm trying to say, is that Porsche has been vastly successful in staying a brand with Aura while becoming a premium manufacturer.
In my personal and humble experience, I feel like they cannot or don't want to feed my own very passion which is fueling and keeping alive the core aura that they have. They still need clients like this as the market changes.

When Porsche will be a premium manufacturer only, well it may be harder for them to sell cars at such premiums, be so profitable....
That day, Porsche will have to answer to their shareholders.

Last edited by baronm69; 01-16-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:46 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Why blame Porsche??

GT3/RS are since ever not volume cars

I can blame Porsche for a better engineering here and there
(Lighter true motorsport PDK- at the expense of less PAG profit Thanks! = NOT A VOLUME GT PLS or your shareholders will pretend same mega profits on our GT = poor engineering components)
but hey on Macan Pannys ok go ahead VAG

We spend our money energies time for these GT keeping
the Porsche appeal high
We merit more in engineering and less profits calculations rather than pretending in somebody else waking you up in time

Good news there will be others brand new GT from Porsche
Used market is also not closed
Neither Ruf, Singer & co.

and please Porsche keep staying LOW on GT volumes!!!
to keep as long as possible stockholders (for niche GT)
distructive hands away

Worth to repeat

OP You missed an important point

To avoid answering their shareholders
pretending more and more profits
GTs cars need to stay low on volumes
Old 01-16-2016, 12:30 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fxz
Worth to repeat

OP You missed an important point

To avoid answering their shareholders
pretending more and more profits
GTs cars need to stay low on volumes
This is not the point of the conversation.
And it 600 cars make no difference to shareholders when they now sell 200,000 cars a year. Gt cars are a proof that Porsche is still Porsche. They appeAl to core clients with speciAl tastes, and help sell Macans and Boxters just like the S600 from MB helps sell C200.

The point is: how can you get to order a gt3 rs car without needing to buy 20 cars and wait 10 years for that.
Some great answers over the past 5 pages.

I want the gt car to stay limited. It makes me free happier and feel even more special (and i dont care for depreciation, and dont care for feeling "priviledged")
Old 01-16-2016, 12:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

OP, seems that if the RS was easier to get you probably wouldn't want it. Someone said: "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
Old 01-16-2016, 12:50 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hf1
OP, seems that if the RS was easier to get you probably wouldn't want it. Someone said: "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
Absolutely not.
If you read the thread, you'll see me praise the days where such cars were limited by who wanted one, which was not many.

I want an rs even if there were thousands of them, as this is the driving experience i am lookimg for, at such price point. Period.

Now does the fact that there are not many of these out there (not necessarily through a limitation) makes me feel even more special? Yes.

Quick Reply: How to get one?