Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 03:46 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

^ this man speaks the truth. obviously you can DD the car if you want.. even the most hardcore cars of today are light years better for DD use than the death traps of the 80s and 90s. but having a DD makes ur weekend car feel so much better.. like an event.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:51 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by baronm69
Interesting feedback. Thanks.

> What car was that for?
> Was this a long time ago?
There is a lot of hype now around limited editions from any brand, making longer lists of clients...

Not so long ago, when the Challenge Straddle and 996 GT3 RS came out, no one really cared. You could them fairly easily, there were not limited: the number of potential buyers were making them limited runs.
991 GT3. I placed the deposit in 2013 and got it last January. Many dealers I spoke to at the time were asking for anywhere between 5-25k over
Old 01-15-2016, 04:03 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Dear All,

I have been a member of the Porsche family for about 13 months, daily driving a 991 C2S which I upgraded to a 991.1 Turbo 4 months ago.

I do love those cars, I use them almost "as a beater" except that I take great care of them. 25,000mi/smile a year has no price.

I have recently contacted the 2 P. Dealers I maintain relationship with to try to get positioned for the next 991.2 GT3 RS, and possible the "4.0" one.

All of them had the same answer: "if we are to get one, it is already sold."

> My question is:
"has the factory anything to say about this?"
Ferrari for example, allocates limited editions, based on their review of the client, and also dealer feedback.

> I'm sure Porsche, as a factory/company, would value more to see a fairly young new client to the brand, with a passion about cars, daily a GT3 RS for about 20kmi+ plus a year, and collect it, with a potential to "grow with the brand", rather than seeing those models allocated by dealers to clients who will not drive the car of flip it quickly to make some profit.

Let me know what you guys think, how you got to get one slot, how you became your "favorite dealer client".....

Thanks

Alternative Strategy:

1.Send Porsche to the hell
2.Buy anythingelse for 2 years
3. Try again with Porsche and eventually repeat step 2

P.S.

This iteration is the last Non Turbo Non Electric GT for Porsche

next GT will much easily available

Last edited by fxz; 01-15-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I still don't get why people would daily drive a GT3/RS. How young are you
I'll celebrate my 69th on the way to the Smokies run this Spring. I almost hit 10,000 mi. in the first year. I drive mine. The next guy can worry about what may or may not have worn out.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:36 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

GT3 DD sure..... GT3RS not so much, especially at 25K miles per year
Old 01-15-2016, 04:47 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BK77
If you have multiple P dealers in your city, pick one (that you like) and stick to just one. Dealers work hard to build a customers loyalty so repay the favor and be loyal to them. If they like you and your don't act like a complete D-Bag and your a humble 32 year old they will respect you. Also, since you have along way to go to show your loyalty to them, I suggest you volunteer $$ for them to hold as a deposit. A lot of guys will disagree with this bc you wont make any interest on it, but it shows your a serious buyer.... Better than the market right now

That's how you should go about it, but using a RS as a DD is just dumb. Have you ever been in a RS, or scud? Don't buy a car bc it's the "cool" or you want to impress someone. I'm telling you now you will hate DD a RS! If you are in the position to spend 200K+ on a car you should be able to spend 230K. If you do get a chance to buy a RS do it, and go take the other 30K and buy a car you can DD. Trust me, I've been down this road
I live in MD. I put myself in the position of buying such car, so this should speak for my ability to mature things, including cars.
> An RS cannot be my sole driver just for the sake of snow / heavy rain days.
My Turbo does that job well but I'd probably not keep it. I'd get a sedan of any sort probably
> I would daily drive this car and probably put a good 15k mi on it.

I have daily driven a 360CS in the past.

Not a hype guy. not sure if daily driving a 911 is hype actually.
It's small, poorly insulated, gps/infotainement is far from great.
I do it for the sake of the sheer pleasure driving a compact/well balanced car which makes you feel alive instead of asleep during my commutes.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:53 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tqevo
991 GT3. I placed the deposit in 2013 and got it last January. Many dealers I spoke to at the time were asking for anywhere between 5-25k over
Very interesting feedback. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:55 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R35driver
^ this man speaks the truth. obviously you can DD the car if you want.. even the most hardcore cars of today are light years better for DD use than the death traps of the 80s and 90s. but having a DD makes ur weekend car feel so much better.. like an event.
GT3 DD sure..... GT3RS not so much, especially at 25K miles per year
I agree. A gt3 for sure (while harsher than C2S or Turbo).
Still, I can live with the RS as I think the pleasure of driving a hard core car outweights the lack of comfort. I'll just wait till I arrive to make phone calls, which anyway is not the best even in a standard 911.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:57 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'll celebrate my 69th on the way to the Smokies run this Spring. I almost hit 10,000 mi. in the first year. I drive mine. The next guy can worry about what may or may not have worn out.
Congrats.

Due to the tire type, I out of my usual 25kmi, I would probably be down 15kmi and use another car for the rest of it (or fly/train more often).
Old 01-15-2016, 05:00 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I say go for it then!

There are 20-25 RS for sale on ebay and auto trader right now, most are 80-120K over sticker, if you cant wait. If you can wait and you want to spec you own, go to your local dealer with your checkbook, write them a healthy check and tell them to put you on the list for the next RS. If they tell you that "sorry the list is already too long and they hold those cars for their VIP's" then you write a bigger check or find a new dealer
Old 01-15-2016, 05:02 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fxz

Alternative Strategy:

1.Send Porsche to the hell
2.Buy anythingelse for 2 years
3. Try again with Porsche and eventually repeat step 2
Ultimately, as a client, I just hate the experience of just needing to come on a forum and strategize on how I can buy such product.

The speculation kills it for a lot of true car guys.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:06 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dear All,

I have been a member of the Porsche family for about 13 months, daily driving a 991 C2S which I upgraded to a 991.1 Turbo 4 months ago.

I do love those cars, I use them almost "as a beater" except that I take great care of them. 25,000mi/smile a year has no price.

I have recently contacted the 2 P. Dealers I maintain relationship with to try to get positioned for the next 991.2 GT3 RS, and possible the "4.0" one.

All of them had the same answer: "if we are to get one, it is already sold."

> My question is:
"has the factory anything to say about this?"
Ferrari for example, allocates limited editions, based on their review of the client, and also dealer feedback.

> I'm sure Porsche, as a factory/company, would value more to see a fairly young new client to the brand, with a passion about cars, daily a GT3 RS for about 20kmi+ plus a year, and collect it, with a potential to "grow with the brand", rather than seeing those models allocated by dealers to clients who will not drive the car of flip it quickly to make some profit.

Let me know what you guys think, how you got to get one slot, how you became your "favorite dealer client".....

Thanks
Isn't that nice. Seems you are the fairly young new client to the brand so you should be sold an RS. It doesn't work like that. Either pay the premium ( I'm personally against that ) or start making personal connections with dealerships to get on their list. Maybe you get lucky maybe you don't. Lastly learn to live WO an RS if all else fails, it's just a car.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:15 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

I say go for it then!

There are 20-25 RS for sale on ebay and auto trader right now, most are 80-120K over sticker, if you cant wait. If you can wait and you want to spec you own, go to your local dealer with your checkbook, write them a healthy check and tell them to put you on the list for the next RS. If they tell you that "sorry the list is already too long and they hold those cars for their VIP's" then you write a bigger check or find a new dealer
That's what I am in the process of doing.

Then....1) I consider ordering a 200k RS is a great deal, and the pleasure of ordering mine, with possibly PTS, many details...makes it mine, my keeper. and 2), except for the market value which make it "worth" 150k (currently), I don't think an RS is a 350k car. At least not to me.

For 350k, I can get a lot of a car, track oriented, from other brands.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:16 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Do you track it? It's just not that fun on the street for me. Maybe if it had a manual...
Old 01-15-2016, 05:22 PM
baronm69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 0to60
Isn't that nice. Seems you are the fairly young new client to the brand so you should be sold an RS. It doesn't work like that. Either pay the premium ( I'm personally against that ) or start making personal connections with dealerships to get on their list. Maybe you get lucky maybe you don't. Lastly learn to live WO an RS if all else fails, it's just a car.
Not sure what makes you read "I am new to the brand and young so my Porsche dealer owes me an RS".

It's "I am passionate about cars and plan on building a car collection, order it and KEEP it, I will put more miles on this car that 95% of RS owners (which has a value to Porsche as a company, to have their products used, on the road), and yes, I am younger than the average demographics of the Porsche 911 clientele, which DOES have a value to Porsche as a company, as it is good to encourage clients with higher potential than the average (see potential as "buy higher end models, more often, participate to car events and promote the brand) to stay in the brand. Porsche is not the only brand out there when you like cars a lot.

I can very well live without an RS.
it's also likely I'll learn to live without a P car in the end if Porsche cannot follow me up while I up my car game in the coming years.

Quick Reply: How to get one?